Lifetime Issues of Faustina Senior

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Post your lifetime issues of Faustina I or anything you feel is relevant!

Faustina's life was cut tragically short. She died in October or November of AD 140, at the age of 40, a mere two years after receiving the title of Augusta following her husband Antoninus Pius' assumption of the imperial purple in AD 138.

Following her death, Pius issued an astonishingly large series of posthumous issues in her name, dwarfing the coinage produced in her lifetime. There are literally dozens of different reverse types in each denomination of these posthumous coins. In contrast, her lifetime issues are limited in scope and reverse types and are not nearly as commonly encountered in the market.

Her lifetime issues are typically divided into three periods, characterized by different obverse legends.

Denarii of the first issue (no genuine aurei bear this inscription), AD 138 bear the legend FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG, "Faustina, (wife) of Antoninus." BMCRE4 reports three reverse types, Concordia standing, Concordia seated, and Vesta seated. I have none of these scarce issues. Here is an example from the British Museum collection:

00664331_001_l.jpg
    RIC —; BMCRE 36; Cohen —; Strack 392; RCV --; CRE 91.

Gold and silver coins of the second issue, AD 138-139 reflect Antoninus Pius' title of Pater Patriae, "Father of the Fatherland," and bear the inscription FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG P P.

Faustina Sr CONCORDIA AVG seated denarius.jpg
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.07 g, 17.1 mm, 5 h.
    Rome, AD 138-139.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG P P, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: CONCORDIA AVG, Concordia seated l. on low chair, holding patera and resting l. elbow on cornucopiae which forms arm of chair.
    Refs: RIC 327; BMCRE 41; Cohen 146; Strack cf. 394; RCV 4667; UCR 163; CRE 89.
    Notes: Strack fails to make clear whether his cited specimens are of the variety with the cornucopiae forming the arm of the chair or with the statue of Spes; he cites Cohen’s references to both types.

Faustina Sr CONCORDIA AVG standing denarius long inscription.jpg
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.13 g, 18.3 mm, 5 h.
    Rome, AD 138-139.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG P P, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: CONCORDIA AVG, Concordia standing left, holding patera and double cornucopiae, and resting l. arm on column.
    Refs: RIC 329; BMCRE 42; Cohen 153; Strack 395; RCV --; CRE 92.

The issues of AD 139-140 bear the legend FAVSTINA AVGVSTA.

[​IMG]
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.40 g, 17 mm.
    Rome, AD 139-140.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: CONCORDIA AVG, Concordia standing left, holding patera and double cornucopiae.
    Refs: RIC 335; BMCRE 133-135; Cohen/RSC 151; RCV 4668; UCR 199; CRE 93.

Faustina Sr IVNONI REGINAE lifetime denarius.jpg
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.31 g, 18.7 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 139-140.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, Bust of Faustina I, draped, right.
    Rev: IVNONI REGINAE, Juno, veiled, standing l., holding patera and sceptre; at feet l., peacock.
    Refs: RIC 338; BMCRE 136-137; Cohen 215; RCV 4669; UCR 342; Strack 403; CRE 100.

Faustina Sr IVNONI REGINAE Peacock under Throne denarius.jpg
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.55 g, 17.6 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 139-140.
    Rev: IVNONI REGINAE, Throne; long transverse sceptre leans across it; below, peacock standing r. with tail spread.
    Refs: RIC 339a; BMCRE 139; Cohen 219; RCV --; Strack 405; CRE 131.

[​IMG]
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.30 g, 18.4 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 139-140.
    Rev: IVNONI REGINAE, Throne, on which stands peacock with tail spread; behind throne, transverse scepter.
    Refs: RIC 340; BMCRE 145; Cohen/RSC 221; RCV 4670; CRE 135-6; UCR (Hill) 283; Strack 405; ERIC II-83.

The inscriptions on the aes coinage are even more limited; all reflect Pius' title of Pater Patriae and were issued from AD 138-140. They bear the inscriptions FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG PII P P or FAVSTINA AVG PII P P (on a single issue, RIC 1077b).

Faustina Sr CERES standing lifetime as.jpg
    Faustina Senior, AD 138-140.
    Roman copper alloy as or dupondius, 10.35 g, 26.4 mm, 11 h.
    Rome, AD 138-140.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG PII, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: CERES SC, Ceres standing l., holding corn-ears and long torch.
    Refs: RIC 1084; BMCRE 1124; Cohen 140; RCV 4679; UCR 150; Strack 1214.

[​IMG]
    Roman orichalcum dupondius, 15.43 g, 28.5 mm, 5h.
    Rome, AD 139-140.
    Rev: CONCORDIA AVG SC, Condordia standing left, holding patera and double cornucopiae.
    Refs: RIC 1088; BMCRE 1125; Cohen 152; RCV 4641 var. (no column); Strack 1215.
    Notes: This is probably the middle bronze companion to the denarius above, depicting Concordia standing but not leaning on a column, issued AD 139-140. BMCRE4 incorrectly describes #1125 as depicting Concordia leaning on a column. However, the specimen is illustrated in plate 25, no. 2 and on the BMC website and there is no column. She leans on a column in BMCRE #1126, as seen on the BMC website. Therefore, BMCRE 1126 is likely the companion issue to an earlier denarius, BMCRE 42, also depicting Concordia leaning on a column but bearing the obverse inscription FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG P P, issued in AD 138-139. RIC and Cohen have separate listings for the middle bronze with the column (RIC 1089/Cohen 155) and without (RIC 1088/Cohen 152).

[​IMG]
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman Æ as, 10.10 g, 27.1 mm, 11 h.
    Rome, AD 139-140.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVG AN-TONINI AVG PII P P, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: IVNONI REGINAE S C, Juno standing left, holding patera and scepter; at her feet, peacock standing left, head right.
    Refs: RIC 1091; BMCRE 1129-1130; Cohen --; RCV --; Strack 1218; ERIC II 280.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Curtisimo, Spaniard, DonnaML and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Great coins, RC. I really enjoy your Imperial Ladies' posts. I was not aware of the order of the legends and am glad to have that info.

I have some Faustina I lifetime issues, not very pretty. This seemed like a good opportunity to bring them all together in one post.

As I recall, none of these were described as "lifetime" issues when I found them on eBay - which may contribute to their affordability.

A denarius - scruffy but my only silver:

Faustina I lifetime peacock May 2018 (0).jpg

Faustina I Denarius
    (c. 138-141 A.D.) (Lifetime)
    Rome Mint

FAVSTINA AVGVSTA; draped bust right. / IVNONI REGINAE; throne, draped, sceptre against it; below peacock with tail spread.
    RIC 339a; RSC 219.
    (2.68 grams / 18 mm)

My best: an as/dupondius:

Fasustina I - As Venus lifetime Nov 2019a (0).jpg
    Faustina I Æ As / Dupondius
    (c. 138-141 A.D.) Lifetime
    Rome Mint

FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG PII PP, draped bust right, hair bound with pearls / VENERI AVGVSTAE S C, Venus draped standing right, drawing drapery and holding apple.
    RIC 1097; BMC 1132.
    (11.54 grams / 25 mm)

A sestertius to match the as/dupondius:

Fasutina I sest LIFETIME Feb 2019 (0).jpg
    Faustina I Æ Sestertius
    Rome Mint

FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG PII P P, draped bust right / VENERI AVGVSTAE S-C, Venus standing right drawing up robe from right shoulder and holding apple.
    RIC 1081; Sear 4677.
    (25.12 grams / 32 mm)

Another sestertius. I have no excuse for this one - it is a duplicate, and in very poor shape, but it was about a McDonald's lunch in cost and is lower in cholesterol (how's that for an excuse?). I keep it on my desk at work:

Faustina I - Sest. Lifetime Venus Dec 2019 (0).jpg

Faustina I Æ Sestertius
    Rome Mint

[FA]VSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG P[II P P], draped bust right / [VENERI AVGVSTAE] S-C, Venus standing right drawing up robe from right shoulder and holding apple.
    RIC 1081; Sear 4677.
    (23.41 grams / 31 mm)

Curtisimo, Spaniard, Factor and 13 others like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Fantastic!

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  5. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

My only lifetime issue

RIC 338

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My first ancient coin, purchased for me by my Wife a few years ago, and posted many times 1E3DFC1E-06F7-4A4B-9AD9-3A1C4DF0BDD8.jpeg AC0ABD28-D545-49E5-8C3F-A6B002904672.jpeg

8. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

A lifetime Faustina is on my (long) list of wants for the year.

I find Faustina the elder an unusual contrast to the coinage of Marcus Aurelius and Faustina the younger in the same time period. In the later two cases, the portraiture constantly changes and develops as they both age throughout the long reign of Antoninus Pius. Faustina, however, is almost frozen in time due to the short amount of time that she lived as Augusta, and then the image is immortalised through the extensive Diva coinage.

Now I think about it, Antoninus Pius's portraiture is fairly static as well.

9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

You know that’s Faustina II, right? You can always tell by the hairstyle, even on very worn coins.

10. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I always mix them up, thank you!

Paul M. likes this.
  11. Roman Collector

Update -- I have added a few more examples to the collection. The sestertii have rough surfaces, to be sure, but they are hard to come by!

Faustina Sr IVNONI REGINAE S C lifetime sestertius.jpg
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 22.64 g, 32.6 mm, 5 h.
    Rome, AD 139-140.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG PII P P, bust of Faustina I, draped, right.
    Rev: IVNONI REGINAE S C, Juno standing left, holding patera in right hand and vertical sceptre in left hand.
    Refs: RIC 1077a; BMCRE 1116; Cohen 216; Strack 1218; RCV 4675; Hill UCR 143.

[​IMG] Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 23.19 g, 33.5 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 139-140.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG PII P P, bust of Faustina I, draped, right.
    Rev: VENERI AVGVSTAE S C, Venus, standing right, drawing drapery from right shoulder with right hand and holding apple in left hand.
    Refs: RIC 1081; BMCRE 1120-22; Cohen 282; Strack 1224; RCV 4677; Hill UCR 146.

Faustina Sr VENERI AVGVSTAE S C lifetime dupondius Praefectus.jpg
    Roman orichalcum as or dupondius, 12.02 g, 28 mm, 5h.
    Rome, AD 139-140.
    Rev: VENERI AVGVSTAE S C, Venus, standing right, drawing drapery from right shoulder with right hand and holding apple in left hand.
    Refs: RIC 1097; BMCRE 1132; Cohen 283; Strack 1224; RCV 4685; Hill UCR 155.

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

13. Roman Collector

That's too bad; you can't join @Marsyas Mike and me in the Faustina I lifetime sestertius club! ;)

Marsyas Mike and Alegandron like this.
  14. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

That last middle bronze is a stunner RC.

15. Roman Collector

Thanks! I thought so, too. It's an obverse die match to the British Museum specimen:

Faustina Sr VENERI AVGVSTAE S C lifetime dupondius BMC obv die match.jpg

16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

17. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Sestertius of Faustina Senior Lifetime issue 139 A.D. RIC 1077a Obv Bust right. Rv Juno standing left holding patera and sceptre. 24.80 grms 33 mm faussnrs1.JPG

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It struck me that we have shown many Imperial coins of Faustina I but no one showed a Provincial. I looked and I do not have even one. Who does?

19. Roman Collector

I have only one:

[​IMG]
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman provincial Æ 19.0 mm, 4.90 g, 1 h.
    Cilicia, Flaviopolis, CY 94 = AD 166/7.
    Obv: ΦΑΥСΤЄΙΝΑ CЄBACTH, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: ΦΛΑOΥΙΟ-ΠOΛЄΙΤΩΝ ЄΤOYC / Ϟ - Δ, Dionysos standing front, head to left, holding kantharos over panther in his right hand and thyrsos in his left.
    Refs: RPC IV.3 online 10281 (temp); SNG Levante 1541 v. (year); Ziegler 1246-7; BMC --; SNG Paris --.
    Notes: Double die-match to the specimen in the Ashmolean Museum (RPC example).

20. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I've wanted a lifetime issue of Faustina I for quite some time, but the impression I've gotten is that considerably more than 90% of the Faustina I coins available are posthumous Diva Faustina issues. I finally saw one back in June that I liked enough to buy, and decided to do so even though the dealer is located in Germany. The dealer told me that there's no regular international mail service right now between Germany and the USA, but agreed to send the coin by DHL. I've had such good experiences recently with DHL Express getting coins to me very rapidly from Spain, the UK, and Belgium, that I went ahead with the purchase and paid an extra fee for DHL shipping. But apparently, since DHL is a German company with all sorts of different services, the kind of DHL "Premium" service the dealer used was not the DHL Express service I had in mind and had told the dealer I wanted: instead of delivering the coin to me directly, DHL delivered it to the US Post Office in New York. Where it sat in ISC for more than a month, until I finally received it yesterday. I like the coin, but I don't think I'll be buying anything from Germany anymore unless and until things get back to normal.

This is it:

Faustina I [Senior] [wife of Antoninus Pius], AR Denarius 139-Oct 140 AD [lifetime issue], Rome Mint. Obv. Diademed and draped bust right, FAVSTINA AVGVSTA / Rev. Concordia standing left, holding patera with extended right hand and double cornucopiae with left arm, CONCORDIA AVG. RIC III 335 Antoninus Pius, RSC II 151, Sear RCV II 4668 (ill.), BMCRE 133, Dinsdale 008710 [Dinsdale, Paul H., Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius Caesar AD 138-161: Antonine Coinage (2018) at p. 99; photo at p. 100] [see http://romanpaulus.x10host.com/Antoninus/04%20-%20Faustina%20I%20-%20Undated%20139-140%20%28med_res%29.pdf pp. 10-11]. 19 mm., 2.84 g.

[Seller's image -- the coin in hand looks much better than in this photo.]

Faustina I jpg version.jpg

If anyone has any other Faustina I lifetime issues that haven't already been posted in this thread -- which dates back to before I joined Coin Talk at the end of January, but I thought it was better to revive it than begin my own -- I'd love to see them.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Curtisimo, Spaniard, Bing and 4 others like this.
  21. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice Faustina I lifetime denarius, Donna. She looks particularly regal in that portrait and the drapery on Concordia is fantastic. Welcome to the club.

Since this thread came around last, I snagged yet another lifetime Faustina I sestertius - and yet another with the Venus reverse (I wonder if this is the most common reverse for sestertii?). This was the fourth-worst in a lot of five sestertii I got off eBay - or to put it another way, here's what five bucks can get you if you have low standards.

The photo below captures the splendors of its textured surfaces :hungover:. It looks much better in hand (no, no it doesn't). I hope this doesn't get me kicked out of the Faustina I Lifetime Club for uglying up the joint!

Faustina I - Sest. lifetime Venus NC lot Jun 2020 (0a) (0a).jpg
    Faustina I Æ Sestertius
    Rome Mint

FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI [AVG PII P P], draped bust right / [VENERI AVGVST]AE S-C, Venus standing right drawing up robe from right shoulder and holding apple.
    RIC 1081; Sear 4677.
    (22.81 grams / 32 mm)

Curtisimo, Spaniard, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted