Licinius Revisited

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I picked this coin up from an earlier FSR auction.

upload_2020-6-3_22-33-58.png
    OBV: IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS P F AVG, Radiate bust, right
    REV: IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and eagle-tipped sceptre, eagle at feet to right, sitting captive to right.
    X IIΓ in the right field
    Mintmark SMAL followed by officina A (1) in exerge
    Alexandria 318-324AD
    -----
    I recently picked up Sear's Roman Coins and their Values volume IV and enjoyed the interesting comments Sear had regarding this issue:

“It has been suggested that the curious numerical formula on the reverse indicates a revaluation of the follis from 25 to 12 ½ denarii (Carson: “Coins of the Roman Empire” p167).

Also the remarkable adoption of the radiate imperial portrait on these folles may be connected with Licinius’ devotion to the sun-god Sol Invictus at a time when the survival of paganism was being threatened by the religious policy of Licinius’ western colleague Constantine.”

I believe I have seen references to the X IIΓ mark previously here but do not recall if revaluation theory was agreed?
    Perhaps the radiate crown is more of a reference to this value change than Sol Invictus?.. as it was on the much earlier dupondius? That said I am only learning here and do not have enough knowledge of the coins of this era to really theorize.

Any comments are appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I have one, too:

[​IMG]
    Licinius I, AD 308-324.
    Roman billon follis, 3.43 g, 19.1 mm, 11 h.
    Antioch, sixth officina, AD 321-323.
    Obv: IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and eagle-tipped scepter, another eagle to feet to left, captive seated on ground to right; X/IIΓ in field, right; SMANTS in exergue.
    Refs: RIC vii, p. 682, 35; Cohen 74; RCV 15225.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I thought that 12 1/2 theory was now generally accepted. It only appeared from mints controlled by Licinius but there are coins from those mints in the name of other rulers then current. Below are Constantine (Kyzikos)and Licinius II (Antioch).
    rv5079fd3302.jpg ru4540bb1166.jpg

5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a revaluation but rather a half nummus, or (half follis). The radiate crown is meant to distinguish this denomination from the co-circulating full nummus.

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's a helmeted/cuirassed Licinius.

Rome

AE3, 318-319 AD. 19mm 3.1 grams

IMP LI-CINIVS AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust right

ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma seated right, shield on lap inscribed X/V. P-R across fields.

Mintmark: RQ

Reference: RIC VII Rome 151; Cohen 150; Sear 15354.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted