Licinius Junior

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Jun 20, 2021.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Just received this coin from @John Anthony...

It's an AE3 from Cyzicus of Licinius II, who served as Caesar under his father Licinius. Unfortunately for the Licinii, the second war fought with Constantine ended up in their defeat and executions.

Obverse: Draped and cuirassed bust of Licinius right. DN VAL LICIN LICINIVS NOB C

Reverse: Jove standing left with cape, holding Victory in his right hand. JOVI CONSERVATORI CAESS

Please share your coins of the Licinii. (ex the @dougsmit collection).

I think it's interesting the the prefix DN was used, whereas their earlier coinage featured IMP.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coin.

[​IMG]
    Licinius II (317 - 324 A.D.)
    Æ3
    O: DN VAL LICIN LICINIVS NOB C, helmeted, cuirassed bust left holding spear and shield.
    R: IOVI CONS-ERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, chlamys across left shoulder, holding Victory on globe and eagle-tipped sceptre, eagle with wreath left, captive right. X over II Mu in right field. Mintmark SMHB.
    Heraclea Mint
    20mm
    3.3g
    RIC VII Heraclea 54

4. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Nice coin!

I bought mine for the incredibly awful portrait – this is what I'd call a truly botched engraving job. Was there a "bring your kid to work"-day at the Antioch mint?

Rom – Licinius 2, AE3, jupiter.png
    Licinius II, Roman Empire, AE3, 317–320 AD, Antioch mint. Obv: DN VAL LICIN LICINIVS NOB C, laureate and draped bust left, holding mappa, globe, and sceptre. Rev: IOVI CONSERVATORI CAESS, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and sceptre, captive at feet left, delta in right field. 18mm, 2.82g. Ref: RIC VII, 29 delta.

5. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

This coin was listed in RIC VII as Heraclea 50 by Bruun, because he thought the mintmark read SMHTA instead of SMATA. This error was addressed by Pierre Bastien in his article “Coins with a Double Effigy Issued by Licinius at Nicomedia, Cyzicus, and Antioch.” NC 13 (1973) : 87.

IOM_ET_VIRTVTI.JPG

Licinius I & Licinius II
    A.D. 318
    21mm 4.2g
    D D N N IOVII LICINII INVICT AVG ET CAES; laureate, draped and cuirassed confronted busts, together holding trophy of arms.
    I O M ET VIRTVTI DD NN AVG ET CAES; Jupiter stg. Left, chlamys across l. shoulder, leaning on scepter, in front of trophy, at foot of which two captives are seated on either side.
    In ex. SMATB
    RIC VII Antioch –-

6. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

7. Heliodromus

Heliodromus Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that bad.

Bear in mind that Licinius II was only born in 315 AD, so at time this coin was issued c.317-320 AD he was only 2-5 years old ! This is basically a baby-face portrait !

8. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

“he was only 2-5 years old ! This is basically a baby-face portrait !”

upload_2021-6-20_10-58-34.jpeg

- Broucheion

9. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, Licinius II is said to have ended up as slave in a tannery or something similar:
    These are my two favorite coins of Licinius II. I love the high relief bust with mappa on the first coin.
    Screenshot 2021-06-20 at 17.05.00.png Screenshot 2021-06-20 at 17.05.56.png

10. Heliodromus

Heliodromus Well-Known Member

Yes - a sign of the changing times. Not very Roman really!

Here's another Licinius II Jupiter reverse, but this one issued by Constantine I from Arles c.318-319, with an unusual captive mintmark. Nearby Lyons would also use captives mintmarks for the following VLPP series of c.319. It's not obvious what the historical reason (if any) is for these captives.

Licinius II CAES Iovi Conservatori Arles 318-319 (P captive A, cf RIC VII Arles 179-184).jpg

11. ancient coin hunter

Wiki - may or not be accurate

The younger Licinius was executed by his uncle Constantine in 326.[6] He fell victim to the augustus's suspicions and died at Pola, possibly in the context of the execution of Crispus.[16] Like his father, Licinius II was the subject of a posthumous damnatio memoriae and their names were expunged from official inscriptions.[4]

12. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Ruler of the house of Broucheion!

13. Victor_Clark

A speculative reason may be the victories of Crispus over the Franks and Alamanni in a series of campaigns that started in A.D. 318.

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice, @ancient coin hunter .

Mine reminds me of an angry monk.

upload_2021-6-20_10-25-9.png
    RI Licinius II 317-324 CE Folles Jupiter w Eagle sinister left Antioch

15. Victor_Clark

This Licinius would have been an illegitimate son, not the same as on coins.

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't usually buy so many of people who are inconsequential to history but Licinius II has some attractive busts and tends not to be terribly expensive. I sold a few but still have enough.
    ru4450bb1511.jpg ru4460bb1637.jpg ru4465bb3002.jpg ru4480bb2203.jpg ru4490bb1557.jpg ru4500bb1165.jpg ru4508fd3315.jpg ru4510bb1534.jpg ru4540bb1166.jpg

17. wittwolf

wittwolf Well-Known Member

My only coin from his reign is this very sandy coin I possibly should clean one day when I feel ready for this challenge:
    Follis - Licinius II. Caesar - IOVI CONSERVATORI - Antioch Mint - Military bust
    Licinius II.png

18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

19. ancient coin hunter

Nice sand patina @wittwolf - no need to clean!

dougsmit and Roman Collector like this.
  20. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Nice coins!.....
    Licinius II (320 ad)Follis.Siscia 3.00gr 20mm dia.
    Obv.LICINIVS IVN NOB C.(Laureate head right)
    Rev.CAESARVM NOSTRORVM (Wreath inscribed VOT.V
    Mintmark (delta)SIS(star)
    RIC VII Siscia #162 (Rated scarce)

licinius ii white.jpg
    Licinius II (Caesar, 317-324). AE Follis, 2.96 gram, 19.0mm, Antioch (Antakya, Turkey) mint,
    Obverse..D N VAL LICIN LICINIVS NOB C ("Our Lord Valerius Licinianus Licinius, Noblest Caesar"), helmeted, cuirassed bust left, shield in left hand and spear in right held over shoulder;
    Reverse..IOVI CONSERVATORI ("To Jupiter the protector"), Jupiter standing facing, head left, nude but for chlamys over shoulder, Victory on globe offering wreath in his right hand, eagle-topped scepter vertical in left, eagle with wreath in beak on left, X/IIΓ (12 1/2) on right above bearded captive at feet seated right with head turned looking back at Jupiter, SMANTZ in exergue (7th officina)
    RIC VII Antioch 36 (R3), SRCV IV 15410, Cohen VII 21,

licinius ii white helmet.jpg

21. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

View attachment 1320656
    LiciniusIIHeracleaJupiter2.jpg
    Licinius II, Caesar, 317-324 AD. Æ Follis (19mm). Heraclea mint, struck 321-324 AD. Obv: D N VAL LICIN LICINIVS NOB C, Helmeted and cuirassed bust l., holding spear over shoulder and shield. Rev: Jupiter standing l., holding scepter and Victory standing r. on globe and holding wreath.Eagle standing l. at feet, head to right, holding wreath in beak; bound captive seated r. at feet, head reverted. Number in right field is X over IIIIΓ (?...maybe not), not Χ over IIΓ. Not in RIC with that number. SMHB in exergue.

Draft saved Draft deleted