Licinius is staring at me

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by OutsiderSubtype, Jul 1, 2020.

1. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Active Member

I have two coins of Licinius from Alexandria and on both he has a rather intense gaze.

Here is a follis from early in his reign, 308 to 312.

coin-outsider-collection-130C2Y-stitched-basic-medium.jpg

Licinius I. Circa 308-312 CE. AE Follis. 26mm, 5.91g. Alexandria mint, fifth officina. Obverse: IMP C VAL LIC LICINIVS P F AVG, laureate head right. Reverse: GENIO IMPERATORIS, Genius standing left, nude but for chlamys over shoulders and left arm, holding patera and cornucopia. K in left field, Ε over P in right field. ALE in exergue. RIC VI Alexandria 101b.

Here is a radiate from later in his reign, 321 to 324.

coin-outsider-collection-4PYCMb-stitched-basic-medium (1).jpg

Licinius I. Circa 321-324 CE. AE3. 20mm, 2.6g. Alexandria mint, second officina. Obverse: IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS P F AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Reverse: IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and scepter. Eagle with wreath to the left on the ground. Captive to the right. In right field, X over II and a half (signifying 12.5). SMALB in exergue.

I mean, just look at his eyeball!

IMG_20200613_233714.jpg

randygeki, Andres2, Spaniard and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Supporter! Supporter

That's what you call the side eye! :eek: Here's one of mine from the Antioch mint:

[​IMG]
    Licinius I, AD 308-324.
    Roman billon follis, 3.43 g, 19.1 mm, 11 h.
    Antioch, sixth officina, AD 321-323.
    Obv: IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and eagle-tipped scepter, another eagle to feet to left, captive seated on ground to right; X/IIΓ in field, right; SMANTS in exergue.
    Refs: RIC vii, p. 682, 35; Cohen 74; RCV 15225.

randygeki, Andres2, Spaniard and 5 others like this.
  4. gsimonel

gsimonel Supporter! Supporter

Compare your second coin with the two coins at the top of this post about Martinian, which are supposedly from Cyzicus. The stylistic similarities are disconcerting.
    Martinian w/ Unusual Portrait

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter Khnum-Hotep

Here's a Licinius from Rome.

Here's a helmeted/cuirassed Licinius.

AE3, 318-319 AD. 19mm 3.1 grams

IMP LI-CINIVS AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust right

ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma seated right, shield on lap inscribed X/V. P-R across fields.

Mintmark: RQ

Reference: RIC VII Rome 151; Cohen 150; Sear 15354.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

randygeki, Bing, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  6. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

upload_2020-7-1_10-30-35.png
    OBV: IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS P F AVG, Radiate bust, right
    REV: IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and eagle-tipped sceptre, eagle at feet to right, sitting captive to right.
    X IIΓ in the right field
    Mintmark SMAL followed by officina A (1) in exerge
    Alexandria 318-324AD

Licinius' coins displayed a wide variety of portraiture .. to say the least.

Licinius Collage.jpg

randygeki, Andres2, Bing and 4 others like this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member Supporter

OutsiderSubtype and Andres2 like this.
  8. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Here's an eye from Siscia...
    lic eye.jpg
    1-normal_lic2together.jpg
    Licinius I AE Follis. 20mm dia/ 3.2gr
    Obverse- IMP LIC LICINIVS PF AVG, laureate head right
    Reverse- IOVI CON-SERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding victory and sceptre, eagle at foot with wreath in its beak,gamma to right.
    Mintmark SIS. RIC VII 8G (Siscia oficina3)

9. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

10. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I like it when my coins stare at me, though it's surprisingly uncommon to find them. For medieval, it's easier:

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-cWb9WSGObNFXeY2V.jpg
    SERBIA, Stefan Uroš II. Denomination: AR Grosso, minted: Serbia; 1282-1321
    Obv: Christ, enthroned
    Rev: VROSIVS REX S STEFAN
    Weight: 1.73g; Ø:20mm. Catalogue: Jovanovic 7. 7. . Provenance: Ex private collection; acq.: 05-2019
    upload_2020-7-1_20-16-16.png
    ... kinda creepy ...

[11128] Diederik van der Ahr - Utrecht, the Netherlands (AR penny, 1197-1212).jpg
    BISHOPS OF UTRECHT, Diederik van der Ahr. Denomination: AR Penny, minted: Utrecht, the Netherlands; 1197-1212
    Obv: TЄODЄ - RICVS, facing bust of Diederik van der Ahr in episcopal regalia; crozier to left.
    Rev: +TRAIECTVM, cross pattée; in opposite quarters, pellet-in-annulet and trident with annulet ends .
    Weight: 0.58g; Ø:14mm. Catalogue: van der Chijs VI, 2 ,de Mey 159, de Wit Collection 878. Provenance: Ex. private collection; acq.: 02-2020
    An interesting and scarce type.

Attached Files:

Spaniard and randygeki like this.
  11. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Active Member

Yes, that does look very similar to mine. I guess you would expect Martinian to look similar to Licinius considering the circumstances of his "reign".

My bug-eyed radiate was sold to me by @Victor_Clark for $10.

That Martinian is on sale on vcoins for 3500 euros.

Such is the difference caused by a few words in the obverse legend and the short and doomed nature of Martinian's career I guess.

Personally, I don't have $3500 for a coin, and if I did, I would want expert opinions before buying that one!

Victor_Clark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted