Licinius II (the younger)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Spaniard, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Here's my last one of the year...

Licinius II (320 ad) Follis.Siscia 3.00gr 20mm dia.

Obv.LICINIVS IVN NOB C.(Laureate head right)

Rev.CAESARVM NOSTRORVM (Wreath inscribed VOT.V

Mintmark (delta)SIS(star)

RIC VII Siscia #162 (Rated scarce)

Anyone know about the scarcity?

liio.jpg
    liciir.jpg
    Saludos Paul

Gil-galad, dlhill132, TheRed and 13 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

When RIC rates a coin as S=scarce it is saying that this exact mint mark only was found in some of the large public collections they checked. This means next to nothing about the number that exist overall. There are three kinds of scarcity. The Licinius II with wreath reverse is a common coin and not as popular as other reverses. With this exact mint mark may make the quest for a match more difficult (therefore it is scarce?). However, there are few people trying to assemble a set of Licinius II by mintmark so the rarest thing of all would be finding someone who was looking for this coin rather than just considering it a nice example of the young ruler. We could say nice things about the coin for a long time before having to comment on rarity. Excellent portrait!

Spaniard likes this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I LOVE that portrait!!!

Spaniard likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin and the condition is excellent. Congrats!

Spaniard likes this.
  6. A very good portrait of Licinius II.

Spaniard likes this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Just echoing everyone else, but that really is a terrific portrait.

Spaniard likes this.
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coin!

Spaniard likes this.
  9. Spaniard

Thanks guys!
    @dougsmit..Thanks for the breakdown..I've often wondered how how the scarcity ratings are attributed to certain coins..The op coins description was from the seller and had no relevance on my purchase.I just fell for the portrait.
    Glad about that as I picked it up for 15$ and fits nicely into my growing Eastern split set.
    Saludos Paul

10. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Considering the strike and the condition, I'd say you got a great buy. Really beautiful coin.

To add to Doug's post, terms like scarce, rare, and common were used to describe the number of coins of that particular issue from that particular mint. For example, there are a great number of coins of, say, Maximian from Heraclea with a GENIO POPVLI ROMANI reverse. Some may have something like HB for a mint mark, while others might have HTB, indicating that they were minted later. RIC vol. VI assigns these coins different rarity ratings.

RIC vol. VII, however, which catalogs your coins, breaks the distinction down even smaller, and assigns rarity values based on the number of coins from each officina, or section, of each mint. So your coin with the Delta in the mint mark is rated scarce, but the exact same coin with an Epsilon would be rated rare. Nowadays, I think most collectors aren't very concerned with such fine--I might say "pedantic" if I were trying to impress someone--distinctions. (Are you impressed?) In many cases I don't think it's clear whether these ratings reflect the number of coins minted or just preservation.

Spaniard likes this.
  11. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

Here is my Licinius II with a different reverse and mint:

LICINIVS II,
    Laureate bust r. wearing imperial mantel.Obv." D.N.VAL.LICIN.LICINIVS NOB.C".Laureate bust right, holding mapa, globe and sceptre. Rev."PROVIDENTIAE CAESS". Camp-gate, AE follis 18mm ."SM HT", Heraclea mint. 337-340, S.371 9, C.41, RIC.21

Attached Files:

Spaniard, Alegandron and Mikey Zee like this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice scarce Licinius II @Spaniard ... very nice coins, well centered, well picked!

I have one from Likey II:

RI Licinius II 317-324 CE Folles Jupiter w Eagle Antioch.jpg
    RI Licinius II 317-324 CE Folles Jupiter w Eagle Antioch

13. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Licinius II is one of the sadder cases in Roman history. He had the ill fortune of being the son of the chief rival of one of the greatest commanders in Roman Imperial history. Because of this ill fortune he only lived to be about 10 years old before being executed.

I think this is a great example with a portrait that is not usual for Licinius II. While not scarce in terms of being a highly sought after type or variety, it is a nice example that I think any Roman collector would be happy to own.

Spaniard and Orange Julius like this.
  14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's an outstanding example of that coin! Gorgeous!

Here's a more typical example, from my collection (like @Alegandron 's coin):

Licinius II IOVI CONSERVATORI CAESS follis Antioch.jpg
    Licinius II, Caesar, AD 317-324
    Roman Æ follis; 17.55 mm; 3.36 gm
    Antioch, AD 317-318
    Obv: D N VAL LICIN LICINIVS NOB C, laureate bust, left, holding mappa in the r. hand and globe and scepter in l.
    Rev: IOVI CONSERVATORI CAESS, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe; resting on scepter; at left, captive. SMANT in exergue, H in field, r.
    Refs: RIC 29; RCV 15415.

15. Spaniard

Thanks for the replies,and nice coins...
    Yes as you know he was made caesar in 317ad at the age of two so the op portrait is showing a five year old!?
    As you said probably excecuted in 326ad along with Crispus...but.... Other reports relate that Licinius the younger was forced into slavery in the imperial textile factories in Africa, where a "son of Licinianus" is noted in an imperial rescript dated 336. However, the rescript makes it clear that the "son of Licinianus" referred to was not likely to have been Licinius II, as the text contains a directive that the textile worker be reduced to the slave status of his birth....but we'll probably never know for sure..

Roman Collector likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Ditto!

Here's the one I had in my first Roman collection.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted