Library of Coins - Mercury Head Dimes 1916-1945

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Matthew Kruse, May 19, 2021.

1. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

I was 30 minutes early to an event yesterday afternoon so I went to a coin shop not too far from me. I've been there once before but didn't buy anything. The guy who works there is nice and personable but they didn't have much of what I was looking for. There were a decent amount of coins but it seems more like an antique store than a coin shop, they had a ton of stamps, postcards, sterling silver, and other stuff like that. I think they would get more business if they actually put more stuff out instead of having everything behind the counter so you can't see it. If I didn't ask for albums, I wouldn't have known he had this :rolleyes:

Anyways, I got a nice Mercury Head Dime album for $10. It was empty but I love Merc dimes and I think its worth it. An upgrade from my current Whitman coin album.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Nice,now fill it up and enjoy the hunt!!!!!!;).

Eric the Red and Matthew Kruse like this.
  4. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

I'm going to transfer all of my Merc dimes from the Whitman album over to the new one after finals are over. Last time I checked, I was only missing 12 :)

5. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

$10 is a good price if it's in good shape. I have one for SLQ's and I like it a lot

6. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Library of coins albums are my favorite. They have the original feel of a blue Whitman folder with the quality and protection of a dansco album.

I own a 1941-1958 Wheat cents LOC album, got it half full of BU Coins from Bill Fivaz at $5. Nothing expensive but it's fun to build a nice looking set without breaking the bank. Love them to death.

7. William F

William F Well-Known Member

Nice pickup! I really like the Library of Coins albums as well, I like that you can see both sides without having to spend too much money on a Dansco...
    I have one for Lincoln cents and I love it, easy to use & easy to upgrade coins as well, the holes are just the perfect fit!! 20210519_194234.jpg 20210519_194303.jpg

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

What great condition that's in. You need to make a note to self, "Do more asking when I'm in there." :)

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  9. William F

William F Well-Known Member

Only thing I don't like about it is that they wrote "double die" in it... instead of Doubled Die...:banghead::banghead::rolleyes: 20210519_195659.jpg 20210519_195614.jpg

10. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Hope a well known member who collects Error Coins doesn't see this. lol :D

William F likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Many years ago a lot of folks used either term in writing or speech. It was such a minor thing that nobody cared. In today's times you would think it's a federal crime.

12. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Just thinking out loud, but wouldn't double die mean two dies combined into one, just saying. You know, a double header. ;)

William F likes this.
  13. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Looks brand new. Nice grab. Great description of the shop, as well. That's more of what i have by me, an antique shop, with crappy coins hidden. The owner isn't all the great, either. He's a straight scammer. Again, great pick up.

14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Library of Coins made a better, sturdier product than Whitman in many ways. The only drawback was that sometimes the holes for early coins often seemed to be too large.

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The other negative is that the spine loosens and gets weak.

Draft saved Draft deleted