LibERty

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Chip Kirkpatrick, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Once or twice a month I’ll buy a box of half dollars. I turn them over to my wife who loves to look for silvers. She’s pretty lucky finding them, her oldest being a 1907 Barber half.
    Once she’s done I check them out for No FGs, weak strikes or anything that may catch my eye and fancy.
    One thing I regularly check is the word LIBERTY on the obverse. As you know the letters E and R are partially embedded into Kennedy’s head but occasionally I find them where they appear separated from Kennedy’s scalp. The separations are usually slight with many more Es than Rs and only occasionally both letters. Often to see the gap you have to look at the coin from the top.
    Well it was a pleasant surprise to see this coin where not only both coins are freed but never have I seen such a large gap. nothing really special, I’m sure, but definitely one I’ll keep. CBC5CC6F-99A3-4DA5-91B8-B24FD2B8814A.jpeg AA9B6545-B664-4EA3-B47F-F6068AD55F9E.jpeg 8321D8BE-8125-45C2-881B-D61664DB683B.jpeg A1161AEA-8465-4FCB-81A1-62944FD8B08E.jpeg

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Looks like the die was polished to remove some type of production damage and returned to service. You can also see the weakness in the back part of the hair.

Interesting find, but it really doesn’t add any value to the coin. If it didn’t have the circular coin roller damage, I might be tempted to keep it. I like the missing leg of the R.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yep! It looks like the result of an over-polished die to me, too. ~ Chris

Oldhoopster likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yes to an over polished Die. A minor thing but still nice to find.

6. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

It has damage from a coin rolling Machine that may have effected the E also..

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Hey Mike

Blow up the pic if you can. This is a really good example of an over polished die. It doesn't look like there is any evidence of damage by the E. Too bad It has those scrapes.

It would be interesting if we could figure out what the mint was trying to remove (at least I would be interested).

IMO, this is a cool coin even it doesn't have much, if any added value

8. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

understood... I meant the coin machine marks on the “B”. I agree with polished die! New ipods and just found out you can talk and txt with them!! They write what ever they think!

Definitely a keeper!

Draft saved Draft deleted