Liberty Seated Quarter-Variety 3

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Here’s an 1854 which is a Variety 3. It has arrows at the date but no rays. This variety was only minted for 2 years. This is the highest mintage at of this variety at 12,380,000. It has bluish toning on the obverse through the stars and the date. No problems to speak of. She worked but not to hard.
    6F89DE92-3225-4D30-A832-D83785150227.jpeg E018AA4F-FD76-4B3A-A03B-0B1567172CC0.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Very nice, I still need one of those for the 19th century type set (which includes all 7 seated lib varieties)
    I've had a hard time finding seated lib quarters in xf/au grades that aren't priced throught he roof.. I've got 3 of the 7 so far 57 w/drapery, 76 w/motto and the 53 w/rays and arrows is still waiting on the next NGC submission... I will have all 7 before I'm done :D

Collecting Nut likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Just take your time and you’ll find them.

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The 1873-4 With Arrows type is one of the toughest, and, for me, among the least interesting. The weight was slightly increased to bring it up to an even Metric weight number. The weight and composition of the silver coins would not change until the clad coinage came along in 1965.

The year 1873 marked the beginning of an economic recession which kept the demand for new coins low. That explains the low mintages and scarcity of the 1873-4 With Arrows type coins today.

The mintages for the 1853-5 With Arrows coins were high because the mint was forced to replace many of the coins that were in circulation at the time. The price of silver had gone up, relative to gold, because of the California gold rush. All of the silver coins, except the Silver Three Cent Piece, melted for more than their face value.

Mainebill and Collecting Nut like this.
  6. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Not clear to me why this variety is among the least interesting to you. I admit I am sometimes dense.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

I just figured to each his own but it’s in my collection and I like it. :)

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

54 with arrows 57-9 and mid 1870s dates easy and even easy nice. Pre 1853 with nice skin very tough in vf or better. Civil war and post civil war dates really tough. High mintages in the mid 70s make those dates very available the 76 and 77cc are fun affordable Carson city dates. The 79-90
    Low mintage dates are readily available in high grade though as many were saved by collectors. The 1850s San Francisco and 70-74cc dates really really tough

9. johnmilton

By the time I got this type, I was getting relative type coin fatigue. These coins are all expensive, and there was no compelling reason to issue them. It had something to do with slabs at finding internationally accepted coinages. Among the six types of Liberty Seated quarters or half dollars, this is my least favorite.

Mainebill likes this.
  10. Mainebill

Agreed they’re pricier than they deserve to be due to type collecting. Though not as bad as the no drapery

11. johnmilton

The No Drapery type is more historically important than the 1873-4 With Arrows type. The No Drapery was the first design for the Seated Liberty motif that was executed by Christian Gobrecht. Gobrecht's designs were quickly replaced by the work of Robert Ball Hughes. The work by Hughes not as attractive in my opinion as you can see from these dimes.

No Drapery Type

1838 Dime O.jpg

With Drapery Type

1842DimeO.JPG

The smallest amount of change was made to the half dollar. The No Drapery type was made for only part of 1839, and that coin is scarce and expensive.

No Drapery Type Half Dollar

1839NoDrapHalfDolO.JPG

With Drapery Type Half Dollar

1846 half dollar O.jpg

There is an 1838 "partial drapery" dime listed in the Red Book. That is only a clash mark, not a true type or die variety.

Mainebill likes this.
  12. Mainebill

Agreed totally on the no drapery being far better of a design. They covered her up after feeding her beer chocolate and cheesecake for 6 months

Draft saved Draft deleted