Liberty Head nickel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rick B, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Hi,
    For my type set I'm considering this 1883 no cent nickel:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1883-No-CE...812205?hash=item2f488f46ad:g:i7EAAOSwiBNfJEXC

Opinions for this newbie appreciated!
    Also, why is this the lowest priced of these Liberty Head nickels? The 5,474,300 mintage is much lower than many of the other dates. Including being three times lower than the "with cents" 1883, but that one is higher priced.
    I know mintage isn't really an accurate way to determine rarity, so how can one research the reasons for these apparent price discrepancies? In other words, why is this the least expensive of these coins?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

During 1883 a few people MIGHT have gold plated and tried to pass these off as $5 gold pieces. Newspapers ran stories about the "$5 nickels". The mint changed the design, but due to the publicity the public saved all of the no motto nickels. That is why they are so common in high grade. The rest of the series was the workhorse of commerce, so very few saved and most are found very worn.

4. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    Any thoughts on the one I'm considering? Is that a fair price? It's higher than red book but I'm not seeing it cheaper.

5. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

6. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Yes, many people held them. My first two coins, the ones that got me interested, were the 1883 w/o cents and an 1885. My aunt had them in a little box of stuff handed down through the family. The 1885 was worn but the 1883 was near mint.
    1883 V WO Cents Obv.jpg 1883 V WO Cents Rev.jpg

capthank and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Good seller, but I agree, the price is too high.

9. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Yes, but compared to what? The Red Book, but I can't find it for less without going to AU. I'm torn between the nicer coin and saving $80!

capthank likes this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

How about some advice also. It isn't that hard to post a photo of the coin you have questions about, instead of making members click on links. Here is the coin.
    1883 Nickel.jpg
    1883 Nickel rev.jpg 1883 Nickel slabbed.jpg

11. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

12. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Maybe you have an easier way than I have figured out. I have to download the photo, edit it to size, rotate it if necessary, save it to my computer, then upload it. Four times.
    Is there an easier way?
    Thanks.

13. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

See the LONG scratch, from the forehead to the star adjacent to the nose?
    And the dig spot to the right of that star?
    An MS64 can have such marks?

14. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Are those scratches or die cracks? There appear to be more above the head, close to the rim and through the stars.

15. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

The man who gold plated many of these was a deaf mute named Joshua Tatum. He'd walk into a store, buy something that cost 5 cents, and get $4.95 in change. And, that's where the phrase "You're joshing me" originated!

Cheech9712 and expat like this.
  16. expat

You can purchase a version on the web with a descriptive card
    Annotation 2020-08-19 233140.jpg

jamor1960 and manny9655 like this.
  17. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Cool tidbit!

18. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Is it the real deal from 1883 or a reproduction?

19. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I feel like the price may be just a bit strong for that MS64, but here’s the deal. And I have learned this the hard way. You buy what appeals to you. Occasionally you may spend a bit too much. If you buy a coin that you aren’t satisfied with, each time you view the coin you will be disappointed. I went through this with a number of Standing Liberty quarters. I purchased two less than desirable coins before I finally bit the bullet an purchased the one I really wanted..... Sometimes we pay a little more for our hearts desire. That’s OK. It’s a hobby.

medoraman likes this.
  20. expat

21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Okay, now think about it. You had 18 responses, so you want all of those members to go through all of that when you could have gone through it once? In most cases, that just isn't going to happen.
    Please just take the time and courtesy of making it easy on the members you want responses from.

Draft saved Draft deleted