Libertads and Maple Leafs

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Marianne, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Marianne

Marianne New Member

My family has the following silver coins:

50 Maple Leafs - 1989
    50 Maple Leafs - 1990
    200 Libertads - 1985

Still in mint packaging and apparently BU (hard to tell with the Libertads, since they're in rolls).

A friend of my brother offered to buy them at spot, saying it's advantageous to both sides because otherwise my siblings would get 20% under spot and he'd be paying 20% over.

I'm not part of this deal - I got the rest of my dad's collection, and a portion of the bullion. My siblings don't want to sell through ebay, and aren't interested in coins as an investment.

My brother asked me to check on this for him:

What are they worth, my friends? The family's happy to give him a break, but not to a silly degree.

Marianne

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. horvath

horvath New Member

I don't know where you got that 20% under and over spot figure but you should probably sell them somewhere else than in place that offers you 11.15/1.20= $9.30 for a BU maple eagle!

IMO, the best place that can help you find out the "fair market value" is ebay. And when I looked at completed auctions of 1989 BU maple leaves, they went for about $15-17 shipped. So you can probably get around $14-15 for one coin, after subtracting shipping and fees.

So if you sell it to him at spot, which is around $11, it is not doing any advantage for you,except that it is simpler than selling on ebay(or other place). What I would consider a fair price for both of you is $13.00. Or $2 over spot. You save your time selling on ebay and he saves on shipping.

So, if you want to give him some discount, go ahead. But be aware that market value is over spot. (don't know about libertadas)

4. Marianne

Marianne New Member

Thanks, Horvath. That 20% below spot business made no sense to me, but then few things do.

I think your suggestion of $13 or $2 over spot is reasonable.

5. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I noticed that maple leafs in the coin shop near me were selling for $12 over the past weekend, still in the mint packaging. Personally, I think fair value for one ounce silver bullion is something slightly over spot. $13 seems a little high. Anything less than spot seems too low.

6. horvath

horvath New Member

that's a good price! now, if you were to buy bullion at an online bullion dealer, let's say www.nwtmintbullion.com, you would be able to buy 60 pieces for $2 over spot, shipped. That is $13.32 at the spot price of $11.32 at this moment. But then a price for 500 pieces is $13.07 per piece, $1.75 over spot (best price you can get for any amount). that is shipped. The Buy price is $.50 over spot. (you are better off selling them on ebay) During the last week silver price was about $10.75-$11.00. So, if you are able to buy them for $1 over spot, you are very lucky (at least in my opinion). In a local coin shop dealer asks for $4 over spot for Maple leafs, and $6 over spot for American Eagles (last time I asked; didn't recheck because it didn't make me very interested). If you buy them for $12; you might be able to make some dollars selling them on ebay. That's a good price :) BTW if you are in Mid-West, can you tell me where that coin shop is? It might be worth visiting :)

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Marianne -

If you sell the coins to a private individual, you might get spot or a bit more. If you sell them to a dealer, I'd say the best you will get is 10% under spot - and many dealers will only offer 20% under spot. That's where he is getting the number.

8. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Marianne,the silver Maple Leaves would be of interest to a number of the Canadian members on the board.I'm sure that they would give you a very good price for them.

As to the Libertads,they're better off going to collectors of Mexican coins.I can't guess off hand which members are interested in coins from Mexico.

Aidan.

9. Marianne

Marianne New Member

Thanks to all of you for your help. The world of bullion is utterly foreign to me. I'll pass your recommendations/knowledge on to my brother.

10. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

horvath,

It's probably a long drive for you to visit New Jersey. I'm not a big fan of most coin dealers, but I'm lucky enough to have one good one near me. [I guess one out of three ain't bad] I don't buy silver bullion coins to flip for a few cents profit. I think silver will be much much higher in price in a few years and then I'll make some desisions.

Draft saved Draft deleted