SOLD Liège "skull & bones" token, ca. 1650, PCGS XF40: best offer by Monday night (14 Sept. 2020) wins it

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by lordmarcovan, Sep 10, 2020.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This coin (well, token) is up for bids on Collectors Universe, but you do not have to be a member there to bid. You can submit bids to me here, via private message, and I will record them over there.

Best bid received by 11:00 PM Eastern US time on Monday, September 14th will win it.

Payment via PayPal is preferred (the Friends & Family method to spare me the fees, if you're OK with that). Old-fashioned check or money order payment is also accepted.

Belgium (Liège, Chapter of St. Lambert): copper charity token; skull & bones, ca. 1650

PCGS XF40.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/39640162

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For comparison, Stacks-Bowers sold a PCGS AU58 BN example of this variety for $360.00 in August of 2018. Based on what I've seen, I would guess their popularity has seen a little bit of an uptick since. CRO has a NGC MS66 BN for $2,975.00. I'm told Atlas Numismatics sold an AU55 on eBay for $525.00 about six months ago, but don't have a link to that sale.

What does that make this mere XF40 worth? That's up to the bidders to decide.

The TrueView gives a more accurate representation of the color, but here is an alternate set of photos @WashQuartJesse was kind enough to make for me.

[​IMG]

Side note: here are the others from the lots I won in a Jean Elsen et ses Fils auction last year. This piece is the one at lower right in this "handful" picture of the other ones I had. I kept the 1686 just above it for my collection. Sold the rest.

[​IMG]

Oh, hey- would you rather have a buy-it-now option? Sorry, I'm not doing that for the one above- but I do have a different kind of "skully" token for sale at fixed price. It is the second (silvered) example shown in this thread here. If you want that, it's $60 postpaid. (The first one in that thread is reserved.)

bradgator2, furryfrog02 and kazuma78 like this.