LEU online bidding

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aetius, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Aetius

Aetius Active Member

Is the online live bidding usually reliable? I was following a lot today on the Live view and when it jumped to the lot I was interested in 15 secs on the clock, I placed the correct next minimum bid. However it appears not to have registered and hammered for the lower amount.

Is this normal for Leu? Is there a large time lapse you need to allow when placing bids? I perhaps left it too late but I like to wait until the closing stages to see if the price spirals out of control.

rrdenarius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I've followed the auction (part I) yesterday, and put in some bids with no problem. I allowed to myself 3 seconds before closing to make sure though. Is the problem coming from your connection ?

I won some :)

Q

4. Aetius

Aetius Active Member

Unlikely but I cant rule out that possibility. Just seemed odd ss I observed the live auction view there was a distinct lack of action compared to other auctions...normally I see a few late bids on most lots before it hammers...which further fueled the idea it was the software.

5. Cucumbor

I've seen quite a lot of late bids, some very strong ones. I've even been kicked off a few times :D

Q

6. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

If you want to be the real Clio then :

1.make sure the clock in your laptop is synchronized, press synchronize now a few minutes before bidding.

2. Refresh the page 30 seconds before the lot you want to bid expires.

If you don't do the above, the count down you see is approximate.

Happy Clioing

BenSi and Roman Collector like this.
  7. Aetius

Aetius Active Member

Top tips, thanks.

Hard lesson learned today :(

8. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

FWIW, not Leu, but Roma.
    I had a problem like that in August or September so that may have been just a fluke (and I also rarely "snipe" so I can't be sure I wasn't just slow).
    But I started getting issues with Roma during the last couple of auctions (constant "Cloudflare protection" loading screens and 503 "Service unavailable" errors) and I don't think they're on my side.
    I think it's possible that with many more folks participating in online auctions this year, the houses' systems get a bit overloaded.

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

There is a non-zero probability that your clock is synced to a different time reference than the auction house's clocks. There is also a (more likely) chance that your stream isn't live.

If you are a home Windows user, you are probably synced to time.microsoft.com. If you were a Linux user synced to one of the ntp pools - also good.

Businesses sync to their domain server and that SHOULD be synced to a good time source, but sometimes IT thinks they are being clever and syncs to a local time source but doesn't bother checking if it's a good one.

You might get in the habit of checking the time the auction house is displaying and adjust your bidding times for that.

10. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

I got clioed today in the last second :( I entered my bid 5 seconds before closing, as I always do with timed auctions, and was winning for a solid 4 seconds, then poof...in the last second I was outbid by one increment and I lost the lot! I can kick myself for not bidding higher initially, but I thought it would have been high enough! I seem to always have bad luck with Leu, as I’ve never won anything. Anyone else?

svessien likes this.
  11. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I’ve been luckier with them this weekend. Seems I got that 20fr margin that you didn’t have. I like timed auctions; it’s win or not win in the last second. Don’t have to fight myself to avoid being sucked into bidding wars.

12. Cucumbor

Everything I got was last second (I don't use a snipper, I was there)

Q

13. Romancollector

Unfortunately, the coin I bid on had 200 franc increments. It hammered for 4400 francs, whereas I put a max bid of 4200 francs. In hindsight, I should have bid higher to begin with! Oh well, lesson learned I guess! :(

I suppose this is why I don’t like timed auctions. Usually, if I lose, I’m the underbidder, which makes me feel as though I had a chance at winning. Whereas with live auctions, if I lose, I’m usually not even close so I’m not as disappointed.

14. Romancollector

LOL, now I’m wondering if it was you that sniped me in the last second :nailbiting:

svessien likes this.
  15. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I’m sorry you didn’t get the coin, @Romancollector
    Given the size of your bid, I suspect you lost a spectacular coin. The auction had several of those.

Romancollector likes this.
  16. Romancollector

To better my chances, I usually don’t say in advance what I’m looking for... not that my bids are competitive by any means, but it still makes me feel more secure :p

rrdenarius and svessien like this.
  17. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I have solved the mystery. Even more sorry you didn’t get it now:)

I won 2 auctions with 1 franc margin, so I feel lucky. Both stopped at 76 franc.

Romancollector likes this.
  18. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I am like @Romancollector and prefer live auctions over timed auctions. If someone wants to bid more than me, they should get the item.
    I won an item in Saturdays Elsen auction with a prebid. I did not feel like getting up at 2AM Houston time.
    @Aetius Did you did you register and/or have any successful bids in the auction? When I bid on Leu's web site for the first time, I made a test bid on a coin I did not expect to win to make sure my bids were going through. When this scale weight came up, my bid went through no problem.

[​IMG]

svessien likes this.
  19. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Me watching all of my targets today.
    [​IMG]
    Live to fight another day I suppose.

svessien likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted