Lettered Edge Large Cent Photos WANTED!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm trying to work on the unfinished task of identifying the different edge lettering used on Lettered Edge Large Cents from 1793-1795. The only different devices currently recognized are leaf down (Edge of 1793), a two leaf variety, and the leaf up (Edge of 1794).

These photos show distinct differences in the Ls and I need the help of anyone with a Lettered Edge Large Cent and ability to capture a good picture of the edge with the attribution to see whether this is a random difference (two or more machines?) or specific to a set of varieties.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is Type 2 with a box type L where the right side angles at 90 degrees at it edge and then straight up.
    [​IMG]

This image was provided by an Ebay seller for a S-28.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is Type 1 with an angled right side angling out at about 120 degrees presenting a flatter and less boxy appearance.

[​IMG]

This image is from a S-65 in my collection.
    Even though the type 2 appears first, I'm using this labeling in deference to the well known different lettering styles used on the draped bust series circa 1798.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Come on guys. Someone out there HAS to have some photos of Lettered Edge Large Cents.

New Question.

Is the difference relatively easy to see? It seems very obvious to me. But then again, I see undertype everywhere I look as well.

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Not to me - it is not obvious. Between die wear, coin wear and planchets I just can not be 100% sure the letters are different. I do have one other edge lettered large cent, but have not had time to photograph it.

5. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

i know youd been asking for a while so i tried to do my best. in reverse order S-65 S-46 S-30 and S-6.

Attached Files:

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't have any photos but I do have an S-40 and an S-41 sitting here next to me. They are low grade butthe lettering on both are clear. Unfortunately the bottom of the L's are off the flan (not centered between the edge dies.) There also seems to be a difference in the O and A between the two types. On the type 1 the O seems to be oval and the A is narrow. On the type 2 the O is round and the A is Broad. From those two letters my S-40 looks to be a type 1 and the S-41 is a type 2.

7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Excellent observations.

Now for my own disappointing news. I just photographed my own S-65 again to reduce the angle. Much to my surprise, what appeared to be a great example of the Style 1 in my first photograph looks like a Style 2 in the new photos. This I was NOT expecting.

8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Thanks for the photos. NOW! Double check the S-6 attribution which should be pretty obvious. If this is correct and the last pictures are of it's edge, It is the earliest Lettered Edge known with all other known S-6s using a vine and bars edge device. The earliest known Lettered Edge known before this appeared on the S-11b (two leaves) and S-11c (one leaf). These were the only known Lettered Edge Wreath Cents,

9. Lugia

its the first pics. they got reversed when i was uploading photos and i was to lazy to correct my order. its in F2 condition but the edge is alright. no rim dings or real bad damage.

10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm VERY curious about that coin now. Can you post pictures of the obverse and reverse and maybe some more edge shots with a slightly longer exposure? Like I was saying, a confirmed lettered edge S-6 would be the earliest known Lettered Edge AND a unique subvariety.

11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

The top photo was taken when I got the coin. The second was taken in the last couple of days. My photography has improved somewhat and I'm now able to do much better with capturing the original color of the coin. I was NOT expecting the difference in the appearance of the lettering.

[​IMG]
    ..............[​IMG]

12. Lugia

its not a lettered edge i just thou i would post it with the rest. heres some new pics of it anyway. edge shots not really coming out so im not posting them.

Attached Files:

13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Nice S-6. It's good enough to know it's not a Smith Counterfeit and definitely the S-6 Obverse. I am still puzzled about what IS showing on the edge. While not clear, it didn't look like the vine and bars in the photo.

Thanks for posting.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't see the bars, but I do see the vine motif.

15. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Okay my only other lettered edge coin. I have it attributed as a S-22. It was posted once before, but not with the edge. Nice coin lugia - very nice.

[​IMG]

16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Very Nice coin. Edge of 1794.

Draft saved Draft deleted