Let's try to identify this coin again. Free Silver Dollar!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

This coin was found with a metal detector in a corn field. I've had a couple people tell me it is a button, however it is a not a button because it has writing all over the back of it, as well as some letters on the front. Also the holes are too crude, it looks like it may of been MADE INTO a button at some point.

On the left side of the front, you can make out the letters "R A" to the left of the pot/basket.

I found this very close to my house. This area used to be a town, and I have exhausted many efforts to identify this coin, including showing it to over 30 dealers.

It means so much to me, that I am offering a Morgan silver dollar to ANYONE who can correctly identify (not guess) what this coin is.

It is almost the same size as a quarter.

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

Highly edited photo, but you can make out lettering across the middle.

IMG_0078.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

"Again"? Did you ask about this before? Can't help you with this one, Timmy, but do wish you luck.

Oh, and...

Kentucky likes this.
  4. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

At the 10 o'clock position, some letters are readable. Can you write them down, in order? The only really clear one is U.

Actually, as I look closer, letters on both sides.

5. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Try placing a piece of paper over it and then lightly rubbing it with a pencil and see if you can make out the letters if they show up on the paper.

6. Detecto92

Pencil rubbing didn't seem to work. This is my best guest.

coin1.png coin2.png

7. Detecto92

coin3.png Using my excellent artistic skills (not really), I made a rendition of the front of the coin.

The coin appears to depict a potted plant. I don't really seen any handles.

Now I also want to add..a lot of Irish and Swedish people lived in this area, so there is a small chance the coin could be from Ireland or Sweden.

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The last thing I would have done is used an eraser, what ever it is, I am not sure how much numismatic value it has left.

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Jamaica Bob Marley Coin coin3x.png

Kentucky, Seattlite86 and afantiques like this.
  10. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

I have no idea what your piece is, but you shouldn't rule out a button just because it has writing on it. I have a button that I believe was given out during Andrew Jackson's presidential campaign. Oh, and I bought it because I thought it was a coin or token of some sort.

IMG_0350.JPG

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Blissskr likes this.
  11. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

What are the dimensions in mm please?

13. doug444

And the thickness, dime, penny, nickel, more?

I could be way wrong, but a quick scan through Krause does not show any "holed" coins from Ireland or Sweden. I am leaning toward a token of some sort that you'll never identify, even a parking or bus or communion token.

I'd be willing to bet the piece was not struck with either hole, the main hole is off-center, and that just doesn't happen, and the edge hole obviously roughly drilled.

14. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

During the 1800's many buttons were made from coins by punching two holes through the coin. When someone lost a button, it became convenient to simply manufacture one to replace it.

15. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I don't think these help, and perhaps you've even already experimented with various filters in GIMP, Photoshop, etc. But here they are cropped and color-inverted.

If nothing else, it makes me feel like the Predator (infrared?), or at least someone with some sort of enhanced super-vision ;-)

IMG_0076b.JPG IMG_0077b.jpg

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

17. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

I am curious about did the coal mines ever issue anything like that for store merchandise?

18. doug444

For abuckmaster: absolutely, yes. Twenty years ago, I bought a collection of around 75 different coal company-store tokens (and a few lumber), and broke them down and sold them piece by piece.

Most, but certainly not all, are from West Virginia or Kentucky, so it would be useful to know what state the item was found in.

Thinking back, I'd say at least 10% to 20% were holed or slotted for convenient storage of a known amount on a wire or template. But the two holes in the OP's item were obviously added later.

One more point, through Inter Library Loan, I was able to get an extremely-rare illustrated catalog for 3 weeks, no charge, not even postage. You don't have to BUY the book, it's out there in some Podunk library, waiting to be requested online.

19. Detecto92

The dimension is exactly that of a quarter. It is too mangled to read a thickness, but side by side..it is just slightly thicker than a quarter, almost as thick as a nickle.

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

agreed, not a button

21. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

would a coin have had a rolled edge like that?

Draft saved Draft deleted