Let's try that again... my first ancient coin purchase for 2020!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AussieCollector, May 7, 2020.

1. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Ok, so the other announcement didn't go so well, given my Republican Denarius turned out to be a fake (with thanks to Mat for the lightning quick alert). One of my goals this year is to expand my Roman collection, and split it between Republican and Imperial.

So, to that end, I have been eyeing this one for a very long time, and decided to pull the trigger given my other misadventure (yes Mat, I checked Forvm's Fake database first). And to be safe, I've gone back to my trusty German dealers, and have paid a little more for the assurance.

Roman Republic Denarius 46 BC
    (Gaius Considius Paetus)
    Obv: Laurate head of Apollo to right; border of dots
    Rev: Curule chair, garlanded, on which lies wreath; above, C·CONSIDIVS; in exergue, PAETVS; border of dots
    Material: Silver
    Weight: 3.76g

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

A good solid start to 2020 :)

AussieCollector likes this.
  4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Vary nice! Sorry about the false start. But what a great way to ease the pain.
    They had a hard time getting apollo and curules flans to stay in place apparently:
    20190729_183651_41A079FA-8759-4A58-8209-05744BCDE267-619-0000004868A3A6A0.png

5. AussieCollector

Yes, I had to get straight back on that horse. No time for misery. There are goals to achieve!

Yes, interesting that these are often off centre. It doesn't fuss me. Perhaps it was due to the civil war, and the need for "quick" rather than precise minting to pay for the war machines.

Ryro and furryfrog02 like this.
  6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..oh, AC...that's a dandy...let me know when it comes in, cause i'm bidding and looking even as we type :D...

7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...i dig those cruel chair ones.. steve martin.jpg

8. AussieCollector

Yes, I really like this one too. I don't know why I waited so long to buy it.

ominus1 likes this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice one and glad you got back up on that thar horse!

Did someone say Curule chair?
    P. FURIUS CRASSIPES.jpg L Furius CNF Brocchus.jpg

buckeye73, octavius, TheRed and 13 others like this.
  10. AussieCollector

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yes, I've had them for several years.

12. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice one, AC. That type is the first Roman Republic denarius I ever bought (in 1988):

RR - Considia - Curule Chari Den (0dk).jpg
    Roman Republic Denarius
    C. Considius Paetus
    (46 B.C.)
    Rome Mint

Laureate head of Apollo right / Curule chair with wreath, C•CONSIDIUS above, PAETI in exergue.
    Crawford 465/1b; Considia 3; Sydenham 990a.
    (4.01 grams / 16 mm)

octavius, TheRed, cmezner and 6 others like this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

VERY nice, JW! Nice captures.

@AussieCollector , that is an EXCELLENT coin to grab! The Curule Chair is literally the Seat of Power! Forget thrones, this chair was foldable, portable, and can allow a Magistrate to exert power and judgement anywhere they travel. There was no backs allowed on the chairs, as the Magistrate was to administer justice or decisions in a timely manner. This was real, in-the-field, symbol of power.

Glad you jumped right back into the game. I have done the same, posted a cool coin, then @Mat , with his keen eye, caught my coin as a fake. I later got a Sear opinion so that I had a record and to use it as a study coin. Best advice to me was to jump back in, QUICKLY!

Here is my Curule Chair, gifted to me by a dear Coin Friend, @Mikey Zee ! I really miss his postings...

Now, how many folks have a Monty Python FOOT as a device on their coin???
    upload_2020-5-8_7-49-7.png
    Roman Republic
    P Furius Crassipes
    84 BCE
    AR Denarius 19mm 3.84g
    Rome mint, Turreted head Cybele right, AED CVR behind, device - foot upward
    Curule chair, P. FOVRIVS on chair, CRASSIPES below.
    Cr 356-1a Syd 735 Furia 20
    Comment: Major mintage due to grain distribution, by AEDILE CURULE Furius. No SC shown on coins. The foot was a symbol of the monetary cognomen (Crassipes)

upload_2020-5-8_7-54-39.png

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  14. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Two curule chairs for the price of one :rolleyes:.

IMG_8214 (3).JPG
    IMG_8205 (2).JPG

15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My chair.

[​IMG]
    Publius Furius Crassipes (84 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: AED CVR, turretted head of Cybele right. Long oval gouge and tool mark across Cybele's head (al marco weight adjustments).
    R: Curule chair inscribed P FOVRIUS, CRASSIPES in exergue.
    Rome Mint
    3.9g
    20.5mm
    RCV 275

Publius Furius strikes here not as moneyer, but as a special issue in his role as Curule Aedile, hence the curule chair bearing his name.

16. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

17. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

So many awesome and many rare coins are shown and discussed by experts in the Ancient Coin Forum that I am always very shy to show my latest:shy:, given that I collect coins that are within my budget and I love to have just because ....no rationale there. Of course there are some very valuable or rare ones that I would love to have but....Anyway, these are my two latest that arrived in mid-April and made me very happy:

I know it has porosity, there is much detail lost on the obverse in Augustus & Livia's faces, and the metal shines through, but it was exactly this last and the ghostly appearance of their faces that made me want this coin, and I also like the stag on the reverse, what can I say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Æ Chalkous, Ionia, Ephesus 27 BC - 14 AD,
    Archireus Asklas (magistrate =Archireus) and Pammenes (no title),
    8.03 g, 21 mm
    RPC I 2589; Karwiese 41, (Die Münzprägung von Ephesos, Vol. 5, 41); Copenhagen 361
    Ob.: Conjoined busts of Augustus, laureate, and Livia to right
    Rev.: ΑΡΧΙΕΡΕΥΣ / ΑΣΚΛΑΣ / ΠΑΜΜΕΝΗΣ, Ε-ΦΕ; stag standing, r.; above, quiver

upload_2020-5-8_17-54-14.png upload_2020-5-8_17-54-26.png
    I lost another one I wanted very much being not fast enough to increase my bid; so I bid on this one, which I also had been eyeing, and won:

Æ Dupondius, Rome, 86 AD
    11.25 g, 28.5 mm
    RIC II 484; BN III, 295, 414; Cohen 648.
    Obv.: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XII CENS PER P P radiate bust to right wearing aegis
    Rev.: VIRTVTI AVGVSTI Virtus wearing long dress, standing right, foot on helmet, holding spear with her r. hand and parazonium with her l. hand; S C
    upload_2020-5-8_18-4-8.png upload_2020-5-8_18-4-22.png

18. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Ae Biunx from Hatria . C. 275 - 225 BC. Reverse is a Monty Python Foot. obverse is either a chicken or an over-inflated football with legs.

Rx572TsMWA7yw4ZKCbm8iF9D65GdH3.jpg

Johndakerftw, ominus1, Bing and 2 others like this.
  19. Alegandron

Dooooaaahh! Is that yours?

Never counts unless its yers...

octavius likes this.
  20. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Sure is mine. I love aes grave and Monty Python!

ominus1 and Alegandron like this.
  21. Alegandron

Awesome! Great coin!

FOOT...IS...FANTASTIC!

More attribute info?

Draft saved Draft deleted