Let's Start a Goal!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinmaster1, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

LOL, I dont have the time nor knowledge to take on a task such as instructing Newbies. I consider myself above average in knowledge in regards to coins. And extremely knowledgeable with dimes. In order to instruct Newbies you will need a profound amount of knowledge in all aspects of coins, which a handful of active members on this site possesses. That is why the forum as a whole is so informative. We have folks that can identify a blank. corroded. full of dirt half cents die pairing. We have some that know more than most have forgotten about medals. SOme folks are extremely proficient at determining errors, and then there are some that are just a bunch of fun to communicate with.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

What you have said is very true and by no mean was I trying to discourage them from attempting to provide the training. I have joined their group and have offer assistance by providing them a brief outline on setting up training. Of course I am use to setting up training according to the IACET/ANSI standard and maybe their training sessions will be less formal.

Training outline.
    1. Title of Training: provide a title that convey the subject matter being presented
    2. Number of hours: gives the student a chance to understand the depth of the subject and how much effort is required to understand the subject
    3. Learning Objectives: list at least 3. Use strong action verbs like explain, describe and analyze. I personally use, when setting my objectives the SKA acronym:
    Skills: What students should be able to do by the time the course is completed.
    Knowledge:What students should know and understand by the time the course is completed.
    Attitudes: What the students’ opinions will be about the subject matter of the course by the time it is completed.
    4. Benefits to Participants: the value to the student as applied in their education of the title subject
    5. Content: outline and main points for each objective
    6. Materials Needed: books, links, etc..
    7. Method(s) of Evaluation: How will you determine what your students have learned and how well you have convey the subject matter to them

4. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

Thanks Farstaff!
    It is obvious that you know how help, instead of hinder.

5. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

Thanks for the info dimefreak. When I have a dime question, which I'm sure I will at some point, you are the guy I'm gonna ask. If thats ok with you!

6. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Don't be so quick to condemn, Travis. One can learn from anyone. Even a bad example teaches us something. I have to applaud their motivation but I wonder what they are offering in their group that isn't the entire point of CoinTalk to begin with?

7. cubenewb

cubenewb Consumer of Knowledge

Let's stop being politically correct and evading the truth; many here are perpetuating a false image of what's happening, all to avoid hurting feelings or squashing hopes. The reality is, there are two kids making pretty lofty statements regarding their own numismatic credentials, and there are many who are foolish enough to be convinced that they are experts. I'm not saying these guys aren't knowledgeable... but to call yourselves "Instructors" when your contributions to most threads demonstrate only a superficial understanding of many aspects of coin-collecting... that's kind of wreckless. As long as other, seasoned "Instructors" are overseeing the program and ensuring accurate, valid information is being given out, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this endeavor. I just really hope this doesn't lead to people trusting the wrong people's opinions when it comes to seeking particularly important advice (i.e. being told something is "PMD" when it's really an obscure error, etc.). Overall, all this is doing is creating a subsection of the forum where a more exclusive (and therefore diminished volume) of experts give opinions, rather than... well... keeping this an open forum...

On another note; there is absolutely nothing wrong with criticism, and if you believe in "don't say anything that hurts others' feelings," you need to remember this is a forum of rational people, not an elementary school peer mediation room.

edit:
    This is exactly what I don't understand, as evidenced by my first post in this thread (post #3)

8. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

I bet this post will be very helpful to the 'instructors', and perhaps could scare them away!!! :) May be a sobering idea in there.. pointing out a true commitment of a good bit of time and effort on BOTH sides. Perhaps covering one subject at a time as opposed to the impossible task of trying to cover 'everything' may be a thought. Thank you for posting this list.

Lucy

Lucy

9. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I didn't say I was perfect either. My point of my comment was not to get into a battle with you, but was to prove the fact that coinmaster1 and vnickels are not fit to do what they are doing and I highly doubt they will provide any information that cannot be accessed easily, somewhere else.

I am not a bully and don't consider myself one nor have I tried to do prove I am better than the two 'instructors'
    My constructive criticism to these two is this. Both of them need to be doing more listening/reading before they do any teaching.

I do not want to trash the contents of this thread, so I will not post previous threads that proves the incompetence of these two characters. (If you want the threads you can certainly search the forum yourself, believe me they are not hard to find!)

10. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

That is true, a point I haven't considered.
    Their minds are in the right place, but their group is pointless. Newbies can learn by posting/reading threads or posts, asking questions, etc. (Which is the basis of this forum, a place to talk about coins, which includes learning/teaching in regards to all types of numismatists, not just beginners.)

11. krispy

krispy krispy

Farstaff's seven points address several questions that I myself made in query to one half of the Instructors of this group. (See posts quoted below.)

My questions were legitimate and remain unanswered by either Instructor/Group Founder, save for an obtuse response to defer comment at all.

This blunt non-compliance to answer only shows the Founders' unpreparedness and premature rush to announce the existence of this loosely defined group.

True, my questions may have been a bit overly generic and ended with a comedic punch-line. It was underscored by today's no-school holiday for which our YN Instructors were free to frolic online tending to the growing interest in their group, but they shirked answering questions from interested parties. Likewise, my last question was attuned to snow days, something which the two lads are quite acquainted with hailing from an oft snow-bound region of the country when they have time to exercise their numismatic kung-fu with the rest of the community that they are quickly attempting to succeed themselves from with the invention of this artificial subset of an already strongly defined and effective community.

Indeed, did not the other half of The Institute instruction staff himself permit in the OP a bit of humor when he said, "-You have to try to take it kind-of seriously. It's good to joke every once and a while, but not every minute." I felt my inquiry offered both seriousness and lighthearted jest, if not to test the meddle of our hosts a wee bit.

I'd like to think we can blend humor with serious informational posts and still come out on top. The OP & Company's lack of years of experience with interpreting the character of posts limits them to immediate emotional response when they find themselves under such scrutiny or caught in the spotlight where they have placed themselves. This in turn has led to some further comedy of it's own... as noticed by the entrancing graphic and other silly commentary offered to kill time until this thing really kicks off.

If the group founders themselves are unprepared for taking inquiries and providing some semblance of a reply to questions posed, they'd be wise to notice it best to announce their intentions, when and only when, they are fully prepared to conduct the business they have set up for themselves -- so far something they are yet to prove they are capable of managing themselves along with the help of solicited 'experts' whom they've chosen, no doubt in personal preference and in desire for defense of their own flimsy numismatic skills. The group founders may have made a false start with this, but they have chosen this timing themselves and this is a learning process, hard as that may be for them and other so-called 'newbies' to comprehend. Criticism is something they must learn to accept is a reality of life and something which they should learn to work with in lieu of their years of experience or blunders getting this group off the ground.

We critics and curious alike have already met the eternal optimists and defacto defenders of good will in this thread. They run to the assistance of any perceived inequality in commentary. They are want to ward off the very thing, criticism and inquiry, that could and should be utilized by these YNs to their group's benefit. Rather than take our direct line of questioning with emotional insult and seek the security of a layer of assistants behind which they intend to operate this duplicate group to this very forum, they prolong the discovery and realization, that it is tougher to earn their reputations they so desire in their juvenile ambitions which they feel they can simply lay claim to and be taken seriously for.

Post #29
    Post #36

Post #41

12. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

13. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

:too-funny::too-funny:

14. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

My post was intended to show them, just a part of the effort needed to be successful.

I have seen individuals when they finally fully understanding the challenge of being a good instructor to simply back off and others who have become excited at the challenge of developing training materials and truly preparing themselves to teach, perform admirably.

Perhaps they will realize their stated goals will require a real commitment on their part, rethink their efforts and their self-declared titles or they will truly make the effort and succeed, time will tell.

One other comment: Some have question why they believe they need to start this group when this forum is here to assist all. Perhaps it is because of some response toward them and others is not in the nature of trying to convey knowledge. Personally I know I have been hesitate to post within this forum before because of the fear of the sometime caustic and belittling responses coming from some members.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Enough already ! If they want to do it let them. But I don't want to read any more of this childish behavior - by anybody !

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The only people being childish are the children who started this mess. Why are you so grumpy today?

17. SNDMN59

SNDMN59 New Member

Count me in, Im always willing to learn more

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm not, but I think it is childish to argue for 5 pages about something like this. It's not anybody else's place to be telling them they shouldn't be doing this, or that they are not qualified to do it, or that they are qualified to do it. It doesn't matter. If they want to start a group let them, if they want to assign titles to their names - who cares ? They have the right to do so just like everybody else.

All these arguments do is sow hate and discontent among the forum membership.

19. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

NO! Were not being childish....were trying to do something good and all we get is none sense from you guys who laugh at us meanwhile your really the ones to laugh at!
    Krispy..WE ARE working on a class schedule staring some of CT's experts. And you have once again TRASHED another thread with your immature behavior. You really are out of line. So in fact its all of you who laugh and mock us being children...we set this up in a very professional way...and if it's such a bad idea....why do we have over 25 members? So were acting mature meanwhile you just sit by, laugh, and start a load of doubt.
    Instructor Matt
    Newbie Institute

20. krispy

krispy krispy

"Who cares" are those doubting their claims and conviction to follow through and finish what they've started.

They've already started the group, it's now public and open for membership. The proverbial ball is rolling, somewhat.

In creating this entity, they seek the credentials of authority so as to be taken seriously in the greater context of this forum and the hobby at large. Why some have not taken them as seriously as they desire to be may have much to do with their own conduct in these forums. When opening this group, they allowed for some levity and received some from the community.

They've simply been called on this because thus far it amounts to yet another one of their (childish) grandiose claims.

I don't think anyone hates them for trying. I certainly do not. I even bode them well, wishing them good luck with their group in post #2.

21. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I think that this thread should be closed, because I think that it has strayed far from its original post. Isn't this forum supposed to be a community? It's not acting like it. Let them do what they want, if they are successful, they are successful. If not, then those who doubted them were correct. Yes, the forum as a whole is supposed to be a "newbie institute", but what is this thread showing those that are "lurking"? There is a group option for the reason of creating groups within the larger community, which is what they did. Are they getting out of hand with the promotion of said group, maybe a little bit, but it is there for the purpose of gathering individuals interested in the same topics, and that is what it is doing. Que sera sera, whatever will be will be.

Draft saved Draft deleted