Let's Start a Goal!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinmaster1, Jan 16, 2011.

1. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

The goal of the Newbie Institute is to get at least 100 members. If you would like to join, you have to classify within the following categories:

-You have to be at least somewhat of a newbie, wanting to learn more about the numismatic hobby.

-Willing to share the information you have, and able to stand corrected.

-You have to try to take it kind-of seriously. It's good to joke every once and a while, but not every minute.

-Have fun with it and be enthusiastic!

For those of you who don't know where to find the groups, go to the buttons at the top of the page. Below the Classifieds button is the Community button. Click that and the first button in the list should be Groups. Click that and you should see the Newbie Institute.

Hope to see you there!
    -Instructors Matt and Alex
    vnickels and Coinmaster1. :thumb:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

Suggestion: To help identify 'Newbie Institute' threads, when being created, perhaps you might place an "NI: (fill in thread name here)"

This way those interested will know to check it out and those not interested in beginner-level threads can avoid opening them.

Good luck with your group.

4. cubenewb

cubenewb Consumer of Knowledge

Seems like a neat idea, although I'm not entirely sure what you aim to do. You and vnickels advertise this sort of enigmatically, saying you'll help "newbies" with your expertise etc. But isn't that what this forum already... does? If anyone has questions they post a thread and get the advice they need. Not trying to rain on your parade, just think you guys should more concretely outline what this particular "goal" is, in more definitive terms. I give you guys the benefit of the doubt, after all it is JUST starting! Sorry to be the blight of discouragement but anything worth doing initially has skeptics, right?

Good luck 'Instructor' Alex (and also Matt!)

5. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I was thinking the same thing.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

7. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

8. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

9. Derekg

Derekg Member

sign me in =)

10. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

Same here.

11. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

Come on guys, quit it. Don't even get me started on some of the weird groups started on CT before by fellow members who would call my group a joke, even when their's was an even bigger joke.

12. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Certainly no one called the group a joke. We just asked for a more specific explanation of what the group is all about.

Here's from the group home page:
    To me, that's exactly what CT does for all collectors, and, especially, newer collectors.

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Just a suggestion, as you can see that several suspect the intent and selection of instructors and don't see a real need for the "institute".

I think you are biting off a huge segment to try and serve at a beginning. I know of many who answer almost every introduction and newbie posting, and I would hate to see their participation go by the wayside. Also many are quite suspect of self pronounced expertise, where most reputations come from many postings of valuable knowledge rather than the prior. Bad feeling can easily result, which we do not want.

I would suggest that your core group start with a limited field that might result in a thread others would like to use to link to their answering new posters also. Foe instance threads could be titled:

Newbie Institute -Subj. Where to find coin references on the WEB.
    Newbie Institute -Subj. How to weigh and measure coins
    Newbie Institute -Subj. What you can find in the REDBOOK
    Newbie Institute -Subj. What you should not do to coins
    Newbie Institute -Subj. What does this lettering mean on my foreign coin
    Newbie Institute -Subj. Why do some experts say different than coin institute.

or something similar. Concentrate on a subject or a few subjects until you get a following.

14. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Speaking of jokes, I think it is time for a comedian group for Coin Talk.

All kidding aside I agree with what has been pointed out by other members. This group is a good idea, and it is a good thing to help newbies, but the problem is, this forum was built and is set up to do exactly what this group of yours will be doing.
    It is repetitive, there is just no need for it.

15. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

brilliant idea, i am all for helping new collectors and will certainly take part in this venture. british and world are my specialities..

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Why is the content of the group hidden to non-members? It seems to me that if you were going to attract potential new members to your group, you would want them to be able to see what they are missing.

17. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

I think the idea is good, but just needs refining and more definition. Some of the suggestions are very good and the responders are are trying to help you launch this thing. I myself would like to follow the development as I am always wanting to learn. Desert gem has a great idea about zeroing in on the subject matter. I know when I see that, "guess the grade" thread what it is all about. Good luck, for your effort

18. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Personally, if I may? I have been reading this site for a number of months, for many reasons. The more threads I venture to read (not having a clue what many are about) the more I learn 'that I don't know'. Most make questions begin to form in my mind. When I finally get the 'guts' to ask, half the time I end up feeling like a do-do brain, simply because the questions are ignorant. If I KNEW the questions were stupid, I wouldn't bother to ask. If there was a book, or books for the beginner, like 'numismatics for dummies' or something, I would buy it and read it. Then I would have known right off the bat things like, "don't touch the coins with your bare hands". For instance, I have a boxed set of coins, only after reading the site for a while I know they are not coins, because they don't have a denomination on them. I know they are not common, cuz I've never seen anyone posting about them. I know they must be something, because my husband thought they were. Will I post them here to find out? No way. Have I touched them with my bare hands? Yes; had to. Had to see if there was anything on the 'side' of them. (Didn't know then not to handle them). Why can't I find them anywhere in my search? If I post them here, my questions will not be on par with a numismatist.

My point is, no one likes to feel foolish (well I don't) and a rough basics 'course' on coins would help a person like me. I don't want to waste someone's time asking dumb questions, yet how do I know what to ask? So if a 'newbie' group, or thread, or whatever could provide rudimentary information for me or someone like me, who knows but that there could come a day when I or someone like me might be able to answer a question someday!

And then again, perhaps it could all just go in an introductory 'sticky' on the Home of this site...'ten commandments of coins'.. like gun safety rules..

Thank you, and I will watch to see if the Newbie Institute develops or not.

Lucyray

p.s. Even Redbook hasn't said yet to wear gloves!!! (But I'm not finished reading it yet..)

19. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Its a decent idea and I can see how it might encourage more interaction from some members. I think the underlying problem most people have is that there are members on this site that have forgotten more about coins than the two leading instructors of this "Newbie Institute" possess combined. Im not trying to poke fun or be rude, but someone had to say it. I personally have benefitted from the shared knowledge of some very brilliant folks on this forum.

20. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

I don't think anyone has asked more "stupid" questions than me over the years. It is no big deal. Often times these "stupid" questions are questions others would like to know, but were afraid to ask. My point is never be reluctant to ask any question, the majority of the people here will only be happy to answer any question.

Take coin cleaning for example. Questions concerning this have been asked over and over for years. Yet, often the same members have been responding to answer these questions for years, and don't hesitate to do so. If we lose the fact we are here to help one another then the site will eventually fail.

I'm just not sure what the newbie institute will actually accomplish that is not already being accomplished. A "seasoned" collector of certain coins could decide for whatever reasons to branch out into another type of coin(s). Should this person also now be considered a newbie especially if say just starting in coppers, or just starting in gold?

21. cubenewb

cubenewb Consumer of Knowledge

Lucy I agree with you that there should be some sort of reference page stickied in one of the forum's subsections. I had to decipher that OGH= Original Green (PCGS) Holder a couple months back, same with NIFC (Not Issued/Intended For Circulation), most newbies have a question about an error and the response merely says "PMD" which means nothing until they know it's "post-mint damage." Acronyms are a great way to abbreviate common terms but they are also an excellent way of encrypting their meaning for newcomers.

As for what Lehigh pointed out, I agree and don't think the NI should be so exclusive... why not keep it open so anyone can view the activities and such?

-Pupil John (;) )

Draft saved Draft deleted