Let's See Your Trade Dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mat, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nice circulated proof.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

another new purchase, 1877-S DDR FS 801. quite scarce, so I picked up this VF example. Note the Eagle speaks with forked tongue!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gronnh20 and crypto79 like this.
  4. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

The very rare 76cc type 1/1 plain CC
    [​IMG]

gronnh20 and Santinidollar like this.
  5. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

76p type 1.5/2 proof
    [​IMG]
    76p type 1.5/2 circulation strike
    [​IMG]

gronnh20, Santinidollar and Kirkuleez like this.
  6. ksparrow

Is the 76CC posted above the same rev. as on the rare 75CC "normal" rev? if so what are the pickup points? the missing NW serif on the I? anything else? Thanks in advance..

7. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

You mean the 75cc Rev of 76? Upward slanted large font CC (typically 2nd C tends to be weaker although not always) and the I in America that you saw. I am not sure I would call the 75cc a distinct collectible variety. I just added one because Dan and I were speculating why the 76cc plain was so rare and i guessed it was simply a left over 75cc die. After looking for a year or so I found one and was proven right. It is more of a personal highlight of research than distinct variety.

[​IMG]

8. ksparrow

So does "plain CC" refer to the large font CC mintmark? I'm trying to make sure I understand the terminology. thanks.

9. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

Yes. I call it the plain CC because there are exactly 3 type 1 rev dies used in Carson City in 76; the famous DDR, the 1.2mm wide CC and the "plain". It just seams plain compared to the other two. In rarity's context it is by far the rarest followed by the 1.2 and then a distant third being the DDR which isn't that rare in the context of the 1876cc which is always scarce to begin with. Basically any type 1/1 76cc is cool in my book

10. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

Another rare coin, a 76p without broken letters on the rev
    [​IMG]

gronnh20 likes this.
  11. ksparrow

great looking coin, and thanks for the explanation.

12. ksparrow

recent purchase from Gerry Fortin, 1877-P, not rare but hard to find with well struck stars and Liberty's head. this is a nice original example.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

crypto79 and gronnh20 like this.
  13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

What an unprofessional job. Looks like that TPGS sealed the coin w/several spots of green crud that will eventually harm the coin. I hope you call them out on this and get them to acetone the coin and reholder it for you.
    Otherwise, it's a nice looking coin.

All a grader needed to do was call and ask to conserve the coin (a toothpick and no chemicals would have even been an improvement). You only get that kind of free service from one TPGS that I know of and it is not PCGS. I think NGC would have returned it with a note that it needs conservation. So it's not NGC either. ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  14. ksparrow

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll contact the dealer about where to go from here.

15. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted