Let's See Your Trade Dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mat, Apr 13, 2014.

1. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Very nice rare coin Doc . The I/I is the common one , though I would have thought by 1876 the II/II would have been more common especially at Philly . What's weird is the type II/II is the more common in the '76-S . I'd of thought Philly would have 1st choice of the newer dies , but I guess they knew San Francisco was the biggest producer od TDs so they shipped them the new dies 1st .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Glad you like the coin, Rusty. Wish I knew more about decisions to send dies around to the branch mints, too.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

5. ksparrow

I just received a recent auction win from Stack's-Bowers, an 1873-s trade dollar. Most of the mintage went straight to Asia, where they were melted or heavily circulated, few were saved by collectors. In uncirculated condition, they are a rarity in the series. PCGS and NGC have certified fewer than 300 in all grades.
    While I much prefer my trade dollars in their original skin, sometimes you have to accept a dip. Such is the case here. If the photos look bright, well, it's a bright coin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PCGS AU-58. 28 in this grade at PCGS, 2 at NGC

Santinidollar and Mainebill like this.
  6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice coin!! One I lack. Got a bit of pl characters too

7. ksparrow

Yes it is a little PL, but to be honest much of the light frost on the obv is gone. I have noticed that a lot of coins now being slabbed as AU58 by both services don't fit the classic definition of that grade, namely just a trace of rub on the high points. Many of these coins, I think, have been lightly polished in the fields but are viewed as M.A. by the TPG's. I recently returned a 1,000$ coin I was sent on approval, it was graded AU 58 and the obv fields were clearly polished. When the markets demand AU58's, by golly, the grading services will provide! Collectors who want true "AU 63's" will have to be very very patient.

8. Mainebill

I can't agree more. I had a long talk with local dealer Gerry Fortin the other day and we discussed the slackening of grading standards especially at pcgs and the massive amount of problem coins getting clean grades. And then the tpgs will deliberately detail or undergrade a nice coin to ensure future resubmissions. Cac helps but there far from fail safe and there's an awful lot of real nice coins without beans too. I may have not bought your 73-s as I'm really trying to do the series in original color I know tall order and I want all the collectable proofs too but that doesn't at all mean it's not a beauty! I may reconsider my position if I haven't found one in 5 years!! :) Your 76-cc is one of the most perfect examples of the date I've seen in a long time!

9. ksparrow

thanks Bill. I could say the same about your newP 73-cc.

Mainebill likes this.
  10. Mainebill

First a common 76-s in not so common ms 64 with nice original skin image.jpeg image.jpeg

Santinidollar, rzage and sonlarson like this.
  11. Mainebill

image.jpeg image.jpeg And then we got the not so common 1874 in pf 64 cam again in original color

12. rzage

Some beautiful coins guys . Doc you're right they're letting through some dogs in all AU grades . We as buyers just have to be careful when buying and return anything that isn't what it should be .

13. ksparrow

Way to resurrect a moribund thread, Bill! Those are 2 gorgeous trade dollars. It's unusual to see an MS with color on par with a proof! Either of those could be the star of a TD set.

rzage likes this.
  14. Mainebill

Thanks! I'm trying to do a complete set with color like these! I've got a few good ones so far :)

15. rzage

That will be some set , if they're all like that they'll have the provenance of the Mainebill Collection . ;)

Mainebill likes this.
  16. Mainebill

So far I got the 73 and 74 cc in au 55 both with good color these two a killer toned proof 64 1880 and a very decent 77 proof and a bunch of other dates in good original au grades. And a 1882 proof I don't love and wanna upgrade the 78 cc won't be easy but there out there for a price. I can't do the 84 or 85 without winning the powerball

17. ksparrow

Yeah getting a 78cc in au with good color will be tough The Eliasberg au58 sold for about 10.5k iirc which almost seems like a bargain; a good looking au50 sold off the pcgs bst recently ; the seller was asking $5500 after several mark downs.

18. Mainebill

There was one at ha about 3-4 years ago might have been the eliasberg one I loved. Was before I got serious about trade dollars. Was a nice one at stacks around a 55 a few months ago is just gonna have to be the right coin at the right time for me. So far I'm just picking off the best examples of each date I need when they come up and I got the money. There's a lot I need. But I'm 39 and should have plenty of time to do it right

rzage likes this.
  19. ksparrow

Patience will be rewarded!

rzage and Mainebill like this.
  20. Mainebill

image.jpeg image.jpeg Couldn't pass this one up strict original 73

21. ksparrow

Sweet 73, Bill!

Mainebill likes this.