Let's See Your Trade Dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mat, Apr 13, 2014.

1. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Coins of that caliber (grade/surfaces) in the CC TD series show up infrequently and tend to go for strong bids. Price guides don't mean a whole lot. My example is chopmarked but still has a nice look, I think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Agreed! That is why I had to have it!! Am trying to get the entire trade dollar series in xf or better problem free and in original color. I'm well aware that it's a long slow and expensive project but I think its worth it!

4. ksparrow

A new addition to the hoard. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kirkuleez, Mainebill, x115 and 2 others like this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ksparrow:

Why should I be interested in the 3rd picture?

6. ksparrow

It shows the tips of the obv. ribbon pointing down (ie, it's a type II obverse & reverse). This die pairing or variety is rare, there are probably only several dozen in existence. Most issued for the year were type I/I and the I/II rev is also pretty scarce.
    The other tell for a type II obv. is the 4 fingers on Liberty's branch holding hand but that is also fairly hard to see.

7. 40_mila_kokkina

40_mila_kokkina Active Member

Mine is slap crappy, taking a DUMP in the NUDE!

$_12 (11).jpg $_12 (12).jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    rzage, Mainebill, x115 and 1 other person like this.
  8. ksparrow

that's a really well executed potty dollar. The converging floor lines also give it a 3-d feel. I was the underbidder the first time it sold on ebay.

9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

This one definitely seems to have some proof like qualities--looks like a lot of die polish hairlines. I got it, as it has really attractive surfaces:

74s.jpg 74srev.jpg

Mainebill, x115 and Effigy303 like this.
  10. ksparrow

that 74-s has a hammered strike.

11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It is simply a strong strike, with lots of die polish to make it quasi proof like.

12. ksparrow

Still, rather unusual to have a BS trade dollar with full details. thus my comment. nice coin!

13. 40_mila_kokkina

I was only playing. That's not my coin. It's for sale on Ebay now though if anyone wants to take a crack at it.

14. ksparrow

That's what I thought unless you had more than one seller ID!
    He's asking about double what he bought it for. (assuming a "he").

15. 40_mila_kokkina

Guys I must admit I never owned a Trade Dollar in my own personal collection. My father though has one in NGC MS-66. I spent most of my money on Bay Bridge Half Dollars. I own about 25 of them. I do have a Trade Dollar I'm considering but unless I get a windfall occurring chances of me buying it are not looking in my favor.

16. aaronea

aaronea Member

Not enough trade dollars shown in this post with chop marks. Although it's nice to have an uncirculated example the thing I found most fascinating about the trade dollar is the history (and therefore I love seeing them with chop marks). Here is mine...

Attached Files:

x115, LionelR and Effigy303 like this.
  17. LionelR

LionelR Supporter! Supporter

Very, very nice aaronea! Further reminding me that I have GOT to get one of these before too long :) Thanks for presenting.
    -L

aaronea likes this.
  18. x115

x115 Collector

NGC PF62
    79ct.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    Mainebill and Effigy303 like this.
  19. ksparrow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Besides being a CC dollar, one of the rev. chops is an unusual cartouche type, with the design incuse into the metal rod used to make the impression in the coin.

Effigy303 likes this.
  20. Mainebill

Loving that potty trade!! Would look good with my seated potty dollar and LOVE LOVE LOVE!! That 79 proof. Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes proof trades!

21. Mainebill

image.jpg image.jpg Ok got another one for you guys a near impossible date problem free original surface. $12k plus in ms this under $3k I see more 78cc I like in the last 5 years. I'm thrilled with this one scratches on the slab

dwhiz and rzage like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted