Lets see your nicest large cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by non_cents, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Looked it up. All those are verities

4. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Yes the coin has a couple cuds, it is an example of a late die of the 1838 N-4. This is a photo from Heritage Auctions of a N-2 where the die crack has just started to form at 1:30. I have seen a couple of the late die state coins and this one has the most pronounced cracking I have personally seen. This die couldn't have lasted to much longer. N-4,R.2.Early.jpg

5. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

1797 looks like S-133
    1796 looks like S-110

6. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Correct on the 1797. The 1796 is S-106. The gap between the I and B in LIBERTY is wider than on any other Draped Bust variety I believe.

7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

They’re definitely tough! I finally got a decent 1814 example from a buddy/dealer for around $150. Thought I had a pic but I can’t find it. I went to more than one coin show without a single Classic Head on the whole floor! The price tag I can get my head around, it’s just the garbage condition most are in that I just couldnt settle for. Tough to spend a couple hundred bucks on a road-rashed slick.

Mainebill likes this.
  8. robec

robec Junior Member

Just received the grades back on this 1851 yesterday, MS65BN
    5D0076E3-2F8E-4B6E-B11F-F2F0AF431FCA.jpeg

a few cracks on this one.
    [​IMG]

9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

That makes sense since the blob over the E on the reverse isn't there. Definitely an earlier die stage/state reverse.

I'm a little out of practice.

Draft saved Draft deleted