Let's see your newest acquisitions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Feb 25, 2011.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Got's one too. Have you seen the movie?

Golden age likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Santinidollar likes this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Finding a sharp looking AU58 moved this one from the "someday, maybe" list to the buy list.:D

5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

A new little morgan.
    [​IMG]

easj3699, Paul_62, Blissskr and 9 others like this.
  6. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Yes I have :) It's a good one.

green18 likes this.
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

New shaving mirror, I see.

mark_h likes this.
  8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

9. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I put in a couple of extra digits!
    upload_2016-11-24_9-44-41.png

This is with the microscope touching the holder, so this is the best I can do.
    upload_2016-11-24_9-48-3.png

cletis faye and jello like this.
  10. Paddy54

Try this as shooting a proof can be hard to do because of the back scatter off the coin.
    Place the scope on the date and focus . Then turn off the LCD light and use a small light source from the side to illuminate the coin. I use a small pen light or something I just purchased a set of clamp on book lights.
    I'm just wondering what is under those crazy 8's

11. RonSanderson

Focus is set to the surface - you can see the flow marks.
    Two different lighting angles.

Who's living in my 8's?
    upload_2016-11-24_10-25-26.png
    upload_2016-11-24_10-28-2.png

Attached Files:

12. Paddy54

Thanks for doing the images, as for what's living there , is the reasons I asked for better images.
    I'm not sure but Did see what ever it is as well as admired the coin . I'm not sure if it's die chips or a reworked die ,file lines, or another digits that someone tried to hid or remove . Maybe someone else can shed some light .

13. Paddy54

The 8's are definitely re punched.....Looking in the red book for mintage numbers....1887 were only (2960) proofs minted. And 5001 MS were minted. Next they list a 1887/6 no mintage numbers . 1888 (4582) proofs minted.
    I wonder if we could find another 88 proof on line to compare the dates? Next I'm wondering if they didn't use another die , reworked it since the mintage is so low? That makes sense as if you compare all of the mintage's why would they commission a new die to strike so few coins?

14. RonSanderson

I found this on the NGC Coin Explorer site:
    "The popularity of coin collecting in the USA reached a peak around this time that it would not experience again until the late 1930s. Sales of the 1888 proof three-cent piece were quite high, though at least some of these were sold early in the following to dealers who purchased the remainders at face value. Hoards of this and other dates from the period existed for years, and it was the need to market such hoards that prompted the development of the first coin albums in the late 1920s.

1888 proof three-cent pieces are fairly common in all grades through the gem level, and even cameo examples exist in sufficient numbers to be collectable. A minor repunched variety is known for this date but commands no premium."

Then I went down to the condition census part of the page, and went to the first PR66CAM listed and followed the link to Heritage.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-thre...-ngc-census-52-12-/a/1233-7156.s?type=NGC1233

Not only do I see these marks, but if that coin was graded Cameo, then my identical coin should have been, too.

15. Paddy54

Maybe you should start a new thread so we don't hijack this topic. I have an image to share. 1420_VP3.thumb.jpg 5210_VP0.jpg

compare what is going on with your specimen to the images above .
    I'm convinced that the proof dies were reused,and re tooled

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    jello likes this.
  16. robec

robec Junior Member

The reverse of yours may have kept it from receiving the Cameo designation. From your video it looks like there may be some frost break in a few areas. Of course that could be from light artifacts.

17. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

Meanwhile, back on topic...

1928-p63.jpg

easj3699, Paul_62, dwhiz and 6 others like this.
  18. robec

robec Junior Member

19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

IMG_2739.JPG IMG_2738.JPG I could try and pull some more color. But, for now I'm satisfied.

20. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Few new coins for the dansco, also got a 1906-S Barber dime but they went right into the book before pictures.

IMG_9652 (2).JPG IMG_9653 (2).JPG IMG_9654 (2).JPG IMG_9655 (2).JPG IMG_9658 (2).JPG IMG_9659 (2).JPG IMG_9662 (2).JPG IMG_9664 (2).JPG

Paul_62, green18, Blissskr and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted