Let's see your newest acquisitions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Feb 25, 2011.

1. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

if only the reverse of #2 was paired with the obverse of #1

Both really nice coins!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bsowa1029

4. bsowa1029

Also picked up a couple of nice 1941 Jeffies. D and an S. 1941 D 5C Obv.jpg 1941 D 5C Rev.jpg 1941 S 5C Obv.jpg 1941 S 5C Rev.jpg

yKnot, green18, mark_h and 7 others like this.
  5. I like #2 more.

charlietig likes this.
  6. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

RB or BN
    Both are very nice.

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

9. Keyman64

Keyman64 Well-Known Member

At first glance, I noticed the hit in the obv right field in front of Lincoln's eye on #1. I found it distracting and nearly said that I prefer #2... But then I continued looking and looked more closely at both and then I noticed the hits on #2 on the eyebrow and forehead going into the hair. They are both very nice coins and I would certainly be a proud owner of either but after a good study I was more distracted with marks on the #2...and then with the toning/luster/brighter colors/eye appeal, #1 was my preference. It is also silly for the #1 to get the RB designation because there does not seem to be any ORIGINAL MINT COPPER RED, the red you see is toning or so it seems from the photos anyway.

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I see the #1 photo as a little juiced and #2 as more realistic. I didn't like the 2 small hits on devices of #2, but I liked the fields better. I thought the marks on #1 were more distracting.

Anyway, for some reason, I thought those were you coins, not @WingedLiberty 's. My bad.

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Here's my first half cent:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

geekpryde, yKnot, green18 and 15 others like this.
  12. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I say that you should keep door #2 and sell me door #1.....:D

jello likes this.
  13. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

(I hear you Chief!)

Great comments and thanks for voting! Interesting that the group overall had a slight preference for #1, but there were a good number of voters that liked #2 more.

Just for fun, I dusted off my old Flash Index scoring system and tried to come with with "eye appeal scores" for both coins.

Just a bit of background, The Flash Index was a feeble attempt on my part to break down (and semi-quantify) the process I go through in my own head when trying to gauge eye appeal (which is itself an impossible and totally subjective endeavor, I realize!).

Interestingly enough, when I tried to score both coins, coin #1 very slightly beat out coin #2 (by only 3%, which is a pretty tiny difference).

The primary difference in scores was:

First, 2 points lost by coin #2 due to the 64 vs 65 grade. (I think both of these coins (perhaps) should have gotten the same grade -- either both 64's or both 65's -- I just don't see where the 1 point difference is coming from -- as they both have some little minor hits on them). You might wonder why should the grade be an input into the Index? I tossed that in as only a 10% influence of the total score to give a bit of weight to what PCGS thought of the grade (perhaps a bit controversial).

Second, another slight difference was coin #2 had a slight issue with black spots with a darkening on the bottom of Lincolns jacket on the obverse and on the left wheat ear on the reverse (just minor tho).

Then, coin #2 made up a tiny bit of ground by having a more flashy (interesting) reverse in terms of color.

Those minor things (basically) accounted for the slight difference in total scores. So all in all -- both of these coins are really close and just superb eye appeal coins.

Perhaps to most collectors it might boil down if they like darker (brown) copper or brighter (red-brown) copper.

I do agree with the poster above that noted that coin #1 should have graded BN since it has NO original mint fresh copper color on it -- however PCGS will often call that brick red toning (RD) even though technically it's toning and not original copper. Also PCGS is sometimes influenced by a coins brightness and will call brighter golden toned coins RB. In any case, if I was grading these two coins, I probably would have called tagged both MS65BN's and called it a day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    geekpryde, mark_h, charlietig and 6 others like this.
  14. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

Attended my very first coin show yesterday. Had a wonderful time and cant wait to go back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yKnot, green18, Mainebill and 16 others like this.
  15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@chromerunner , I really like that coronet gold piece! The San Diego commem is also one of my fav designs and it looks like you bought a nice one.

chromerunner likes this.
  16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I finely 1920 Maine fake and real-horz.jpg got a real one

1920 Maine PCGS XF40 1-horz.jpg

17. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Picked this up for my 1869 type set. It's slightly below the grade I wanted but this one had a rotated reverse that was not attributed. Two coins same grade same price I went with the rotated reverse one.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

yKnot, green18, Skyman and 7 others like this.
  18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Recently picked up some Ottoman Empire Akces. Was $8 shipped for the three. Didn't own any so I figured I mind as well add some just to have.

[​IMG]
    Ottoman Empire
    AR Akce
    Top left - Bayezid II 886 AH. Mint Novar., 0.68g
    Top right - Selim II. 918 AH., 0.64g
    Bottom - Mehmed III. 1003 AH., 0.28g

green18, mark_h, JPeace$ and 2 others like this.
  19. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

Antique mall find today. Neat love token
    Quick iPhone photo.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444090123.802795.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444090136.752037.jpg

yKnot, green18, mark_h and 4 others like this.
  20. bsowa1029

1939 proof. NGC PF 66
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Can anyone give any tips on photographing proof coins??

yKnot, green18, treylxapi47 and 9 others like this.
  21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Draft saved Draft deleted