Let's see your newest acquisitions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Feb 25, 2011.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GSDykes

4. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I got this coin in a trade. Really digging it. A little history piece of the home town (or home city).
    1894 SF.jpg

Chiefbullsit, Paul_62, mark_h and 8 others like this.
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Neat piece! (I never know whether to call so-called dollars tokens or medals though.)

In the obverse foreground, what goddess and animal are those supposed to be? Being a California piece, I'd expect a bear, but that looks more like a large dog. The goddess looks like Athena to me, but I'm not sure.

non_cents likes this.
  6. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

It's the California State Seal

http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/seals/ca_seal.htm

Here's some more info on some other ones from the 1894 Midwinter Exposition. Pretty neat in my opinion.

http://www.so-calleddollars.com/Events/California_Midwinter.html

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

This was listed on eBay for $59, after watching the whole week, during the last 3 sec. a mini bid war happened and I scored this wonderful Tiberius Tetradrachm.

These seem to average $250 & more.

It also has a nice provenance that I didn't know about till it arrived.

Most likely my score of the year!
    [​IMG]
    Tiberius (14 - 34 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    EGYPT, Alexandria
    O: [TI]BERIOS KAISAR SEBASTOS, laureate head of Tiberius right; LID (date) in right field.
    R: QEOS SEBASTOS, radiate head of Augustus left.
    EGYPT, Alexandria Mint, year 14=27/28 A.D.
    13.43g
    23mm
    RPC I 5090; Milne 54; Emmett 61.

Provenance:
    [​IMG]

jello, mark_h, rooman9 and 2 others like this.
  8. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

My latest is the only one graded by pcgs and i dont think ngc has graded one of the same year either.

1763 20 kr2.jpg
    PCGS secure VF-30
    1763 KB 20 Kr
    KM-366.1
    PCGS# 32047356

jello, mark_h, Blissskr and 2 others like this.
  9. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

10. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

This could also have been in the problem coin thread, but I like it as it is. IMG_0003-horz.jpg

jello, mark_h, NSP and 4 others like this.
  11. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Whizzed?

Paddy54 and spirityoda like this.
  12. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

Picked up this token. 1890's.

[​IMG]

yKnot, jello, mark_h and 2 others like this.
  13. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Just polished with a jeweler's cloth, probably dipped first.

14. GSDykes

One more colorful "cooked coin". Since you got me goin, I do think this cent is one which some EBAY crook might try to sell, I achieved the colors on an electric burner, quenched in water. I know this was off topic, sort of, so this is my last post of this experiment. I have not even displayed the ones dipped in an acid, then soaked with acid and baking soda, bubbling away and adding wild colors! Maybe on another thread.

cooked_obv.jpg cooked_rev.jpg

dwhiz and jello like this.
  15. GSDykes

Just recently acquired this .720 silver, Mexico 25 pesos, 1968. Shown in different lighting set ups:

16. GSDykes

Just recently acquired this .720 silver, Mexico 25 pesos, 1968. Shown in different lighting set ups. Each is a low resolution sample. Formated using Photoshop 6.
    There is a nice long die-crack on the reverse at about 1 o'clock, in the top of the legend "Olympiada Mexico". (As most of you know the Mexican Eagle/snake side is the obverse, always on Mexican coins with the emblem). Coin had all debris removed before its "Photo shoot" :) :)

Mexico_1968_25_pesos_obv.jpg MEX_25_pesos_Ag_rev.jpg Mexico_1968_25_pesos_rev.jpg Mexico_1968_Ag_obv.jpg J

yKnot, jello, Effigy303 and 3 others like this.
  17. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Recent "junk" silver buy for $13.8xface. Guess if you can find the cherrypick?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I just Cherry picked this one today, It's an 1868 Reverse of 68 Shield FS-901 I have up loaded another reverse of an 68/68 using red arrows to show star placement to lettering. This is the* Hub llb * The variety 1 one broken letter in the {C in cents}is a dead give away. However it also depends on the star placement.In the 68-901-(002.94) you'll notice that the #2 star points to the center bottom of the foot of the "F" in of. This variety is the most common of the 6 known reverse hubs of the 1868 reverse of 68 shield nickels.It accounts for about 48% minted of the 68 reverse of 68's Shields Nickels. I will also upload a image of an Hub lla and show you how to ID in a very easy way if the 1867,68,and 69 shields have an reverse of* Hub lla.* The hub lla is 1868 FS901 Shield nickel Obv..JPG 1868 FS901 Shield Nickel.JPG 1868 shield image 2 FS 901.JPG reverseAnnotated.jpg 1867 shield 12 rev..jpg found on 1867,68,69 shields is easy to spot as you'll notice that the again star #2 the upper left point of the star is broken off. The top tip of the star points towards the left foot of the letter F in of. and is almost passed the bottom left foot of the F.
    Notice in the image above how the #2 stars upper left point is broken. However the other two reverse images that star point is sharp.
    Today's Cherry pick not a huge deal by value but I could triple my investment if I wanted to flip it,due to the variety.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Big Time

20. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

Got these in the mail today. Recent purchase from a CT member. These are his pictures, and while better than I can get they really don't do the coins justice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul_62, Travlntiques, mark_h and 8 others like this.
  21. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am liking that dime toning.

OxJaw likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted