Let's see your newest acquisitions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Feb 25, 2011.

1. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Got it right! (yay)

Very nice place though, really looks sharp

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hugh Stiel

Hugh Stiel Made in New Orleans

4. Hugh Stiel

I love it!!!!!!

5. Hugh Stiel

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Hugh:

I always look forward to your posts.

Frank

PS: I hate you!
    :)

7. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I had originally posted these two small cents using the sellers photo's. I finally have them in hand and wow!! I found a new favorite seller on eBay. There are two separate images for each cent. One that shows the patina and the other showing the luster.
    The Luster and color
    1909 VDB Lincoln Cent.jpg
    Here is the gorgeous patina this Lincoln has developed.
    1909 VDB Lincoln Cent (Patina).jpg

Here is my 1899 Indian Head cent. The iridescent green this has is just mind blowing!!

Here is the luster and color.
    1899 Indian Head Cent.jpg
    And here is the iridescent surface. Yes these are the colors you see on the surface when holding at an angle.
    1899 Indian Head Cent (Iridescent Patina) copy.jpg

yKnot, Hugh Stiel, gronnh20 and 14 others like this.
  8. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

1926 Lincoln Cent (PCGS MS62BN). A coin I think was under-graded by PCGS. To me, this looks like an easy MS64 and perhaps even borderline MS65. I love this sort of look where the slight color variation enhances the detail.
    If I did send this to CAC, I think it would gold bean pretty easily. JMHO. [​IMG]

I bought this as a raw coin off eBay (at the end of April) for $28. To be honest, buying raw coins off eBay is a cr@p-shoot. I have had mixed results, with more than I care to admit coming back from PCGS with some sort of problem or issue preventing a grade. But occasionally I do stumble across a diamond in the rough. What's that old saying? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

[​IMG]

So what did cars look like back in 1926? Well here is a 1926 Ford for your gawking pleasure. Amazing that we're talking about nearly 90 years ago. Actually, I wouldn't mind tooling around in that beast.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    yKnot, Hugh Stiel, gronnh20 and 16 others like this.
  9. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Here's a blazer for a tough date coin . . .

1.000-gold-1850-1.jpg 1.00-gold-1850-2.jpg

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

@ToughCOINS
    1 Very nice 1850 1 dollar Gold !
    Not an easy one to get in this grade

Hugh Stiel likes this.
  12. coppertoning

coppertoning Well-Known Member

Unless they felt the high point toning was friction I can't make heads or tails out of the 62 grade. I have seen dozens of wheats with high point color differences that held lofty grades and had no rub. Can we see a reverse image?

For what it is worth I have always thought PCGS was a cr@p shoot with this series. 65's holdered as 63's and vice versa. Of course the market doesn't agree with me.

Lovely coin

yKnot likes this.
  13. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I would really like to see the full obverse/reverse pairing of that coin. It's an interesting obverse color.

14. WingedLiberty

Here is the obverse and reverse pairing of the 1926 Lincoln. I suppose you could make a case that the reverse is only an MS62, but I think the obverse is at least an MS64 (or perhaps even MS65) so maybe a net MS63 or MS64 combined would have been about right. I still say this is undergraded in sum total as an MS62. To justify an MS62 total grade, PCGS must have seen the obverse as MS63 and the reverse as MS61 -- and I do question that. I have seen much worse looking Lincolns graded MS64 by PCGS. And this coin has nary a carbon spot, which often plague early Mint State Lincolns. Well in any case, that's just my opinion. I would be snapping up MS62BN Lincolns that looked like this one all day long!

[​IMG]

yKnot, Hugh Stiel, gronnh20 and 6 others like this.
  15. WingedLiberty

Just for fun, I went digging around in CoinFacts to find another PCGS MS62BN Lincoln. And this popped up. So this one below is the exact same grade (according to PCGS) as my 1926 above. Both graded PCGS MS62BN. Weak strike, yes, but still!

[​IMG]

yKnot, Effigy303 and cletis faye like this.
  16. coppertoning

coppertoning Well-Known Member

Reverse looks a little muted but I think the obverse carries it to a 64. I agree I wish I could get these 62's all day.

Nice pick up

WingedLiberty likes this.
  17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice Golden Wheat cent

WingedLiberty likes this.
  18. kccoinguy

kccoinguy Active Member

I had my eye on that one too. Congrats! I ended up with this one instead and am really pleased. Spot on the reverse is on the holder, not the coin.
    35Buff.JPG

yKnot, gronnh20, SSG_Gonzo and 10 others like this.
  19. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Very nice!

20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Here is a coin I have had for a long time now. I didn't need or set out for another domna since I have 24 of her currently loose in a pile on a bookcase, but this was listed on a dealer's site and I saw it new, I immediately liked the look of the coin itself & the portrait. The other kicker was I didn't own any with her full name in the legend. It was also at a great price so 2min later I bought it.

[​IMG]
    Julia Domna (19 - 217 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    IVLIA DOMNA AVG; Draped bust to right.
    VESTA; Vesta seated left, holding palladium and scepter.
    Rome Mint, 193 - 195 A.D.
    3.3g
    17mm
    IC IV-1 Rome 538

21. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm not really an ancient collector, but I really like this one. She's a beauty!!

Hugh Stiel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted