Let's see your newest acquisitions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Feb 25, 2011.

1. aronsamma

aronsamma Active Member

Did the PCI slab have a '100% white' notation? I've read that you can do a crossover, and as long as it has that notation originally as evidence, PCGS will accept the toning as natural. That's where some of the crazy pastel early silver eagles come from.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Here's another find from the Battlefield show in Hagerstown Md.
    An 1873 open 3 Variety Shield Nickel that I believe to maybe be an DDO. some doubling on the annulet. 1873 Shield date.jpg 1873 Shield annlut.jpg 1873 Shield Nickel Obv..jpg 1873 Shield Rev..jpg

yKnot, bugo, dwhiz and 5 others like this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I also picked up this 1833 Half cent,it's one I needed for my short set of Classic Head half cents. 1833 Half Cent Obv..jpg 1833 Half Cent rev..jpg

yKnot, gronnh20, cletis faye and 8 others like this.
  5. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

6. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

1896 Morgan Silver Dollar (PCGS MS65). Just bought this. Even though I promised myself I would slow down my coin buying, how am I supposed to resist material like this? The sellers photos looked a bit faded like it was a scan, so I levels adjusted the image to bring the contrast to more normal levels -- and then worked on color correcting the slab and label (get those two right and the coin should be right too). Gosh this is amazing looking. I am not sure I've seen better color on a Morgan Dollar? Neon color, with just about every color of the rainbow (ROY-G-BIV) represented, great elevation chromatics in Miss Liberty's hair, silky smooth color transitions, PCGS slabbed with a nice grade, and a nice clean cheek. The reverse is mostly white, so it's not a distraction to the monster obverse. This is about as nice as toned Morgans come. I still get an in-hand look and there's a 14-day return period, but I just don't see what I wont like about this one! So far, just based on these images, I like this more than most of the recently auctioned Sunnywood-Simpson Morgans.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    yKnot, SSG_Gonzo, gronnh20 and 21 others like this.
  7. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Holy smokes. Thanks for sharing.

8. throwbackid

throwbackid Well-Known Member

With good cool gold like Pandas and Brits at sub $1200 all in how can you buy much else? image.jpg

9. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

1896 Morgan Dollars are tough with color. Ditto for most of the 1890s, and post 1900 pieces. Most were due to changes in the environment in which the pieces were struck and stored in government vaults.

Very nice coin! It is definitely one of the better 1896 pieces I have seen. Congratulations!

Paul M. and WingedLiberty like this.
  10. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Type set additions. Good learning experience from this purchase. I wanted to fill two holes in my type set but made unwise purchases.

1) got a CC half but for the price could have got a better grade non CC to fill the hole. I learned and it makes for an educational explanation :eek:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

2) overpaid for this barber half and did not realize until I was home. Once again I wanted to fill the hole vs pursuing one I really felt good about for my type set.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I should really hold out for the best quality I can afford to reside in my type set but I got caught in the thrill of simply leaving with a purchase. Sometimes better not to.

Blissskr, Skyman, gronnh20 and 6 others like this.
  11. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

12. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

Here's a 1956 Franklin I just acquired

1956 toned sidexside.jpg

yKnot, Blissskr, Skyman and 9 others like this.
  13. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

How is a pic like that taken? With the USB Microscope cam?

14. Hugh Stiel

Hugh Stiel Made in New Orleans

15. Hugh Stiel

16. charlietig

How weird that they turned the coin so it isn't on center.

17. Hugh Stiel

A0000150974-uscoin-zoom-1-98.JPG 1965 1.JPG A0000150974-uscoin-zoom-1-97.JPG1865r.JPG A0000150974-uscoin-zoom-1-97.JPG1865r.JPG A0000150974-uscoin-zoom-1-1.JPG A0000150974-uscoin-zoom-1-0.JPG A0000150974-uscoin-zoom-1-98.JPG 1965 1.JPG A0000150974-uscoin-zoom-1-97.JPG1865r.JPG A0000150974-uscoin-zoom-1-1.JPG A0000150974-uscoin-zoom-1-0.JPG A0000150974-uscoin-zoom-1-97.JPG1865r.JPG

Attached Files:

yKnot, Skyman, SSG_Gonzo and 9 others like this.
  18. Hugh Stiel

19. Hugh Stiel

20. charlietig

French Quarters in New Orleans? ^

21. Hugh Stiel

To my coin collecting friends on Coin Talk I've made Lafitte Guest House available to coin collectors for a very low rate of $50 a night for your first visit. Built in 1840 the Mansion is on Bourbon Street.
    This is really a bargain price so take advantage and come visit, please 504 581 2678

Blissskr and jello like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted