Let's see your newest acquisitions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Feb 25, 2011.

1. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

Really Charmy? Really?

Let me repeat - because apparently you missed it.

Here are my original images. My other half is looking at the coin right now saying that my images are slightly more accurate and that both images show too much blue and red compared to the coin in hand. edited

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BALD SPARTAN

BALD SPARTAN Member

4. EyeEatWheaties

5. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Bless her little heart...

I wonder if I can find my Nixon - Agnew button from the same campaign? I know I have seen it within the last few years...

6. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

Yes really Rob, I didn't miss anything, nor did anyone else in here ("wish I had better pictures, etc."). Go back and read your posts. And I won't argue with you any further about your images, but let me just say that I doubt (and rightfully so) your wife is "unbiased."

7. EyeEatWheaties

edited

Here is another NEWP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

beautiful coins eew

9. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

Rob-

Look at this comment:

Here you say I did not capture the coin in the best way. In situations like this JUST DONT COMMENT!!! You dont see me commenting on photos unless asked for. The above comment is negative and typical of your comments on my images. I understand if you are not a fan of my imaging style, we all have looks we prefer, but if you dont like them, just leave them alone. Have you seen this coin to know what it looks like in hand?

Going by memory I took 8 obverse and 6 reverse images of that coin, mainly working with the slab issues. I dont understand your 10,000 image comment.

I am my own biggest critic, I dont need help in that department.

Here is a NEWP that is in a holder but likely cleaned. I do not like the hairlines. I have a hard time passing up this coin in PL.

[​IMG]

Ronald J Dawley likes this.
  10. EyeEatWheaties

edited

Tell me Todd. which of these 2 sets of images (sized equally for fairness) looks more like a 67+RD coin to you? and please leave the garbage about you not knowing copper, out of it.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

coinsareus10 likes this.
  11. EyeEatWheaties

Thanks Mark! I have some others that recently arrived that I really really like. especially the way they show on the screen. click on them twice to get the full resolution

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Mark14

EEW that is just amazing, im loving the color on the hair

13. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

I did not know you were a potential buyer since I took the images for a collector to be put on coinfacts. You and the collector can decide if it is for sale but my images have nothing to do with a sale. If you are trying to buy this coin that is your business not mine. How do you know that this does not do the coin justice?

For the 2 images above I would prefer the bottom image both as a buyer and as a photographer. The bottom image is sharper. The bottom image is dark around liberty but the top image is very dark overall very much so around the motto and liberty. I would say the bottom image appears much more like a 67+RD, the top image does not give me much information at all.

edited

14. EyeEatWheaties

edited

Ok... In the spirit of explaining more of where I am coming from.. the educational part... take this with a grain of salt, Todd. I FEEL/THOUGHT that the ONE image that I have.... that my first impression that the coin is more of an RB coin at least that is how the image IN MY OPINION! portrays it. That was until I got some handycam type of images of the entire slab that portrays the coins as indeed, a RED coin. 1st set of images posted above.

Now with all that said... Understand that PCGS is also very stringent with thier RD designation. I have many RB coins that have ever so slightly the lightest tinge of brown. I also felt your image is completely devoid of Luster - which is a huge deciding factor in the 67 designation. I have several 67's that are more banged up than the 66's however the luster is far superior.

here is a great example of a mostly red RB coin... and for Mark, who seems to like Lincolns with colorful hair-doos... :) I present this RB coin with a Pink hair-doo. - Mark double click on the image- it's pretty wild!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

I will strongly say that line between BN/RB/RD is not my specialty. I get shown coins and people will say isnt this a red? And I say why would it be? So your question was which image looks more 67+RD, I feel the bottom image looks more RD. The top image does not look very red.

Was PCGS ever more lenient on RD coins? I ask this because it is something for a copper collector to know and here is why.....When it comes to DMPL Morgans many OGH coins would not DMPL today. Yet if I submit for a regrade I cannot lose the DMPL designation. So can someone submit a OGH RD coin that may have been borderline get a bump and keep the RD? I am not saying that happened with this coin, but it is something to think about.

Also the coin in question has some very red areas that make the rest of the coin look not as red, but in reality the rest of the coin may be red on it's own merit. If the coin was all the color of the obv bottom third (non toned area) would it be red on it's own? I dont know that answer, I am just saying the heavy red areas may make the less red areas seem even less than they are.

I dont know the %'s for RD/RB/BN an have seen many coins that have confused me on this issue. I shot a couple complete PCGS RD IHC collections last year so I do know that RD is different for different years.

16. Mark14

thats amazing :) i have a few toned pennies from circulation but they are more of a dark blue and its very hard to see

17. EyeEatWheaties

interesting... because Iam of the opposite opinion - the top 2 images tell me immediately - it is a red coin.

I wish there was a photography forum - because I don't want to go off too far with technical guesswork - however I am convinced that the lens will pick up and magnify what I call a "skin" much better than eyes do.. Look - I do want to create a poll and I do not want you to take it the wrong way. I want to have a consensus because as I have said, just because there are things that I look for in high grade copper does not mean that others look for the same things.

I think this coin is pretty cool because it is so different. from a forum member here on CT - he has others similar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

edited the top image you think is more RD?

19. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I recently picked up 48 medals from a 60 medal set (the Longines Symphonette Great American Events collection). Each of these is 1.2 ounces of sterling silver, and they were selling for less than melt 2 weeks ago when I bought them.

Some are really well executed (with great depth and detail), while others are less pleasing to me. The reverses of them all are pretty ugly (all capital letters with a static image of a dyspeptic eagle).

I'll post a pic here, but since there's a lot of dialogue about resizing and loss of photo quality, here's a hosted image at high res: http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgemo/5491602483/

Longines medals obverse set 2 (resized).jpg

Kim Greenwood likes this.
  20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That will be enough arguing and making insulting comments. Any more of it and the thread will be closed.

And keep in mind folks, there is one way to stop and only one way to stop such posts - just stop making the comments.

coinsareus10 likes this.
  21. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Lovin those medals George! Very nice artwork on them.

Draft saved Draft deleted