Let's see your newest acquisitions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Feb 25, 2011.

1. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

WOW. That is truly a stunner (among all the other ones you have, lol). I'm truly amazed that it passed without getting the QT or AT designation. I've seen many, many Franklin proofs online that seem to have the exact same toning pattern as yours, which are obviously AT. Yours is one in a million!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

That coin is stunning !!

4. John14

John14 Active Member

I purchased a 2012-P Star-Spangled Banner Silver Commemorative Dollar from longtime CoinTalk member Fretboard. I have a couple of these already ;), but it is one of my favorite Modern Commemorative designs. He surprised me in many ways. Not only did he sell it cheaper than it cost him to purchase, but he shipped it free, immediately, and it was well packaged. I knew the coin was in the original mint packaging, but was shocked to find that it was still mint sealed.

IMAG0625.jpg

But of course I opened it...
    IMG546.jpg

IMG547.jpg

IMAG0629-horz.jpg
    There are some good people here on CoinTalk, and this purchase was a great way to kick off 2013!

(I wish I could have wrote a review like this for my Secret Santa, but he requested to stay anonymous :whistle:)

5. John14

John14 Active Member

This also came in the mail today...

IMAG0623-horz.jpg

IMAG0614-horz.jpg

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ya know? I always did like that Fretboard dude........:)

7. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Ben Franklin's initials are now ROY G BIV!

8. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

9. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

10. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

Here's another fresh one from Robec. I picked this one up from ebay for $6 -- took a gamble, and it looks like it paid off! Super strong cameo contrast with a strong rainbow band on both the obverse and reverse.

Under indirect light:
    [​IMG]

Under direct light:
    [​IMG]

It's interesting to note how on proof coins exclusively, the colors seen on the coin's surfaces under indirect light appear to show one spectrum, while under direct light the color literally flips to its opposite shade on the color wheel! Here's a common color wheel graph below:

[​IMG]

Specific color shades seen under indirect light seem to "flip" to the shade on the exact opposite side of the color wheel, as you can see on robec's pictures. The red band in the first (indirect light) photo corresponds to the same place where the green band is in the second (direct light) photo, the blue where the orange is, and so forth. There's another proof I have which has the same thing happening as you "roll" the coin in/out of direct light; I'll post those pictures once robec photographs it.

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Wow, Nice pics! Glad the coin found a good home and someone who really appreciates the design. Thanks again!!

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Since you all like Busties, here is another from recent pick ups:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't seen much in Barbers lately, so, I moved to Busties for a while and they are addictive.

sorry for the crummy pictures

13. Treashunt

An ANA Philly pick up:

[​IMG]

Just kidding, but I had to take a picture this summer.

I WISH I could afford it.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh, you could afford it..........you just used the money to pick up a few more Barbers and Busties. :devil:

15. Treashunt

true, so true.

16. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

All I will say on this one is, I wonder what it really looks like without the hilariously over-saturated "magical" PCGS photos. That's a pretty funny looking coin.

17. icculus

icculus Member

Very nice. How do you like the black retro slab? I recently picked up one of the 2012 burnished coins in black slab. After a while what I seemed to notice is that its kinda like a black car--it never looks clean. Any fingerprint, finger grease smudge, dust, whatever just seems accentuated by the black where as the white slabs kinda hide it. It almost even seems like I can even seen fingerprints on the insert, under the clear case. Yes obviously the coin is the most important part but still want the total package to be appealing to the eye. Anyway, now that you have it in hand was just wondering your thoughts?

And I'm also a big fan of the Star Spangled Banner commem.

18. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

Not the most thrilling acquisition, but I got three of them for $3.60 a piece, which is only twice the value of the coins themselves. The Red Book price is $8 each.
    [​IMG]

19. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

Here is Robec's shot of this one ... (less red than the TrueView)
    [​IMG]

20. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Yes, Paul...I was asking what it looked liked in hand though...

I have a couple toned Proof Frankies and when they are shot head on, the colors simply don't look like this. I'm glad you like it, but it's not my cup of tea.

21. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

+1, Frank, I think addictive is a conservative word to describe Draped busties. Fiending, hungry, "gotta have it" is more appropriate! Thanks for making my day!

-Shaun

Draft saved Draft deleted