Let's see your newest acquisitions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Feb 25, 2011.

1. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ whooooo hooooooooooooooo I likey!

Coins4Eli likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Not my usual fare, but something attracted me to this coin. These are the sellers pictures, but they look to be pretty good.

Attached Files:

Coins4Eli, Eaglefawn and nearfall like this.
  4. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

I clicked on the image and then closed the window well be fore the load finished. Way to large a file. You do not need a 4000x3000 image.

Spend the money on your own hosting, worth every penny.

Coins4Eli likes this.
  5. EyeEatWheaties

lol Todd! You need to spend some money on some wider bandwidth..! Seriously though, I thought about hosting my own photos. The photobucket account is cheap and the pro account isn't limited.

I love the full 5mb pics of a Lincoln - While I agree... looking at a Lincoln at 50x is ridiculous..... I still like/need/love to have it, especially when looking for, or pointing out the metal flow lines that create the luster that a photographer sometimes doesn't capture on high grade coins to do the coin justice. Kind of hard to explain my opinion on that subject in a post.

Same coin, same file size, shot with different lighting angles. Which shot do you feel does this 67RD Justice?

Sorry to everyone for the hijacked thread.

Back to the other type of linked image that resizes a lot of peoples forum width. Click once/twice for full resolution. any faster with this type of link?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coins4Eli, nearfall and Allan Dinegar like this.
  6. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

I host my site, my images and my clients images, unlimited bandwidth and about 75k files on my site. Why do I need more bandwidth? I think you should look at your own hosting....like you said photobucket is cheap.

I also make it a point to keep images sizes reasonable when sharing on the forums so I dont slow people down here.

Of those three I would say #3, I would not guess 67RD from the image. Don't forget, I dont know copper and don't plan to. I just image lots and lots of it.

Back to the thread, Here are a couple more NEWPS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coins4Eli and Allan Dinegar like this.
  7. EyeEatWheaties

so that sites like photobucket load faster? no biggy..

Oh! that explains a lot - as in several tons !!! How ironic. I really, only know copper! lol! No love for the lowly Lincoln? So sad :)

I agree . Back to the thread, Here is another NEWP.

[​IMG]

8. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Hey, that's my coin!!

[​IMG]

For those that don't know, it's one of the highest graded 1909 VDB cents around and is a PCGS MS67+RD (the only one so far and only one MS68RD has been graded).

Actually, the photos came out really well given how banged up the holder was and how tough of a coin this is to image. The coin has so much luster and color to it that imaging it isn't easy. So while you can be critical of the photo, it's not really fair to be until you see this one in hand and try to image it yourself... it isn't an easy one. For comparison, here's the pics that Bowers & Merena took of the coin when it went last to auction. I think Todd's photos do a much much better job of showing what the coin really looks like in hand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited to also add one of my attempts at imaging the coin:

[​IMG]

Endeavor likes this.
  9. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I think the 3rd photo makes the coin look best, but would have to see the coin in hand to tell which photo is more accurate. But I agree that the coin does have a few too many hits for MS67RD, but I've also seen much worse in 67RD holders. Here's one of the best 67RDs I've seen and had to pick through dozens of other examples to find it:

[​IMG]

Endeavor and Eaglefawn like this.
  10. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

And to keep the thread on topic... here's one of my newest acquisitions. Pretty poor photos by me which seem to emphasize the hits and marks on the plastic, the coin looks really nice and is virtually spot and mark free:

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. EyeEatWheaties

I agree the 3rd photo captures the coins best attributes for sure. As I am learning, the best hi-res images also exaggerate imperfections, whether it be the contrast of light reflecting in the tics and dings or the way the lens picks up the oxidized "skins" on copper - the coin always looks better in hand than the image depicts. Now I have exceptions to that, like with some Heritage photos, but upon closer examination, I don't consider Heritage Photos as a similar hi-res image that, Todd for example, produces.

BTW Mike, your image of the slab does the coin more justice. Absolutely no offense to Todd! I mean he openly admits copper isn't his thing. So in contrast, I am overly critical when it comes to copper, since that is all I really know when it comes to imaging.

Your 67RD.. is that a trueview image out of the slab?

12. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

It's the CoinFacts photo of the coin which I resized smaller an have hosted on Photobucket. There is a TrueView photo of that coin and the large version can be found here:

http://www.pcgs.com/TrueView/Large/18319560.jpg

13. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Picked up this silver war nickel at a coin show last weekend.

Attached Files:

Ronald J Dawley likes this.
  14. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

Keep in mind I have no intention to collect copper so when you ask for a grade opinion I make it clear, copper is not my thing. If you somehow take that as I dont know how to image copper, then you are way off. As I said earlier I image a lot of copper.

15. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Todd is one of the best photographers around and that includes his work on copper coins. I know dealers that use his services for copper coins who are very happy with is work product. Additionally, Todd imaged my entire 1908-S Indian Head Cent grading set at one of the recent Long Beach shows and the results definitely exceeded my expectations.

Here's another recent acquisition of mine. It's a capital plastics holder which has an uncirculated 1909 VDB cent in it (maybe an MS63/64RB) as well as a 7+ ounce .999 silver Medallic Art Company VDB medal. Got it at the last Long Beach show and thought it was really cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ronald J Dawley likes this.
  16. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

I've been following this thread and just want to take a second to respond to this. Rob, I DO KNOW COPPER and Todd's photos are absolutely beautiful and capture the gorgeous toning and luster on my coins - if anything, the coins are even better in hand than the photos. Even though Todd doesn't collect copper, he absolutely knows how to image it - better than any other coin photographer I've seen. And his photo of Mike's 1909 vdb is STUNNING and captures the bright luster and toning perfectly. But as Mike said, the coin is even more amazing in hand!

Other than you, everyone who sees Todd's photos of my coins and then sees the coin in hand agrees that the coin is even better. Todd has literally imaged hundreds of my coins alone - all copper - and I enthusiastically refer my customers who want their coins imaged to Todd, many of whom have only copper as well. I do not get any sort of "kickback" or "perk" from Todd when making referrals to him, I just know he is very talented and know that others will be very satisfied with his work.

So back to the original post, here are a couple of my latest pickups....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ronald J Dawley and Endeavor like this.
  17. The Penny Lady®

Here's another recent pick up that Todd imaged. I couldn't believe how beautiful this image in particular came out. It truly captured the beautiful magenta toning on this proof.

[​IMG]

Ronald J Dawley and Browns Fan like this.
  18. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Illini420 - That silver VDB medal is awesome! Love Mercury on the reverse.
    RacecBannon - nice wartime nickel. As an east coast resident I rarely see the D mint mark over Monticello (although I can be at Monticello in 90 minutes)
    PennyLady - love both of your new pick ups.

19. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Didn't see the proof IHC - very nice

20. EyeEatWheaties

WHOA!

How this got misconstrued to my bashing of Todd's skills is beyond me!!!

edit - by GDJMSP - It got that way because of the comments you have been making. They are not the only ones who construed your comments that way. I construed them that way too. And I am totally unbiased. Now perhaps that is not how you intended your comments to come across. But that IS how your comments ARE coming across. You really do need to change the way you are wording your comments, or else just keep quiet.

Todd's reputation and his work speaks volumes. He is the "go to" guy for coin imaging at every show.

He offers professional, quick, quality services at very reasonable pricing. He is also a collector - so he understands coins better than most... I have studied his images endlessly..... contacted him directly to discuss imaging...... I have promoted his services in threads to the extent that is borderline SPAM..... I own coins that were purchased from his images............

My original post was about a coin image that I was thinking about acquiring.

Yes - I embellished the post to backhandedly say that I wish I had better(different) pics of the coin.

I regardless of Todd's laurels, I am from the school that there is always room for improvement and it is my opinion ) that he did not (probably the 1st out of 10,000 images) capture that VDB 67+RD in a way to best show it's attributes.

And so we are very clear, my (and others) opinion is worth what it cost - nothing!

Actually, now that I think about it more, I am glad - no, thrilled! - that this subject came up. It brings up a question that I would like to have others opinions on, regarding high grade copper images. Just because I know what I like to see - does not make it right, nor wrong..... I will start a new thread.

Not sure if I posted this here. Click on the thumbnail

From the Penny Lady

[​IMG]

From Angel Dee's

[​IMG]

21. The Penny Lady®

Rob, the way you have chosen your words in this thread makes it seem like you are unfairly criticizing Todd's talents. At least that's the impression that both Mike and I (and I'm sure many others reading this post) got from reading your posts. No one said that Todd's work is perfect, but as I stated above, I feel his photos are the best I've seen, especially for toned copper. And I say this to you with no malice intended, but you are a novice, perhaps a little overly passionate, and I sincerely think it would be more beneficial to you if you more carefully reviewed your posts before you release them.

Further, in my opinion, your photo of the 1909 vdb you purchased from me does not accurately depict the actual coin. Viewing your photo on my monitor makes that coin look much more pinkish violet than the actual coin and even lightens the fingerprint that is evident on that coin. Again, in my opinion, Todd's photo does a better job of showing this coin's attributes (deeper violet purple toning) as well as its flaws (fingerprint). I appreciate that Todd's photos show both quality and flaws so that my customers get the "true" picture of the coin they are purchasing.

[​IMG]

Endeavor and nearfall like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted