Let's see your newest acquisitions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Feb 25, 2011.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Well I won another pop out, it's for my gal. I'll post a photo when it arrives

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Traz

Traz Card counter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come tonight...

4. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Oooo, Traz, I am loving that 75 shield! The die cracks not only look amazing, but that's a phenomenal date to have to boot!

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

ASE set 2012-S 009a-vert.jpg 004.jpg Just came in the mail and now in my Dansco

6. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

Got 2 dollars in halves from the bank when cashing my check and one was a 40%er. Not too shabby.

IMAG0777.jpg

7. Traz

Traz Card counter

8. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

Wow, I was thinking strong 65, shot 66. I had to look carefully for grade-limiting marks (particularly on the obv.) after you posted the grade. You're very good at showcasing the best features of the coin—and, frankly, playing down the grade-limiting hits. I'd like to see the coin in hand; certainly a nice addition to your type set. :)

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Finally acquired my dream ancient. Wasnt cheap but its a big weight off my shoulders.

You can read the full thread.

http://www.cointalk.com/t211137/#post1503505

[​IMG]
    Orbiana (225 - 227 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: SALL BARBIA ORBIANA AVG, draped bust right.
    R: CONCORDIA AVGG,Concordia seated left holding double cornucopia and patera.
    19mm
    3.8g
    RIC IV 319, RSC III 1, BMCRE VI 287, SRCV II 8191

10. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

Here is my newest, a 1994-P Jefferson with an obverse split die.

20120804_1994a.jpg 20120804_1994d.jpg 20120804_1994f.jpg 20120804_1994g.jpg 20120804_1994h.jpg

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow thats a nice split! Never seen one like that on a a nickel before.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

13. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Congrats on the Isabella!

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

15. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I agree, beautiful coin. So refreshing to see an original and uncleaned example.

Shaun

16. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

40-s twin rim to rim cracks

Picked both of these up this week..
    Both have rim to rim reverse cracks...

Attached Files:

17. wooleytree

wooleytree Operation Flamingo

1938 D/S Buffalo raw

Picked up this 1938 D/S Buffalo today.

Attached Files:

18. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

A fairly recent acquisition, I sent this one out to PCGS in an NGC VF35 holder.

PCGS didn't agree with the NGC-assigned grade. :rollling: Whatever.

Probably the last time I'll ever use their third-party-holdered crossing service. My theory is that the PCGS graders already have an opinion formed for them when seeing what grade NGC has assigned, so if they don't agree, they're basically telling you "Hey, NGC sucks because they overgrade - Go to us next time because we're for accurate and more consistent". :rolleyes: But again, that's just my theory.

Anyways, I ultimately made the decision to crack her out :hammer: She'll see the PCGS graders again some time in the near future, but next time, she'll be sporting nothing but a mylar flip and her original skin. ;)

On the bright side, one benefit to cracking her out is being able to do some high res. imaging w/ out slab glare! :thumb:

It's an O.107 R3 - so-called "Adams apple" variety due to a die lump at the bust's upper throat. Weakness in the scroll at "E PLURI(BUS UNUM)" is typical of this variety.

iPhonePhotos6.29.2012 011.JPG
    1808O107R350CNGCVF35crackedout1-1-1.jpg 1808O107R350CNGCXF40crackedout2-1-1.jpg

19. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

One of the problems with a cross is that a decision has to be made without seeing all sides. Things like potential rim damage have to be considered. So PCGS (and NGC) have to be very conservative.

We all think conspiracy, when it won't cross in plastic but does raw. But really it's a matter of a better look-see and managing risk. PCGS has said if they agree to a cross and crack and discover a fatal flaw there'd be a payout.

I like the 1808 at 35 and I'll bet if it was submitted raw it would earn it. But a grade drop to 30 wouldn't annoy me.

Here's an 1798 cent I bought recently...posted to stay on topic.
    Lance.

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

I hear ya, Lance... I'm just bitter! :p It's easy to understand why PCGS crosses with caution...

Oh, and nice large cent! :thumb:

-Brian

21. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

How did you crack it out without damaging the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted