Let's see your newest acquisitions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Here's a cherry pick that I couldn't believe my eyes! As I hace collected shields for quite awhile.
    This is an 1869 { tall date~ thin date} variety. They are hard to find as most of the 1869 shields had heavy thick digits. So these tall dates are very rare. s-l400-19.jpg s-l400-29.jpg
    Thick date below

1869 RPD FS 1302 102716.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

Not a "new" acquisition. I've had it a couple months. But it just came home today with its green bean! The 1971 D Eisenhower friendly eagle MS65!
    Screenshot_20211020-180259_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211020-180318_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211020-180350_Gallery.jpg

geekpryde, gronnh20, Lem E and 5 others like this.
  4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I'm kind of torn whether to post them here or in the exonumia thread because, well, all my stuff is exonumia.

But here is the first installment.

I think I posted somewhere that I received a fairly fugly Thomas Cremona pattern quarter under the heading, "The Quarter That Never Was."

IMG_2723.JPG

Well, in doing further research on this piece, I ran across a different large medal that seems to memorialize the original piece.

This medal is huge - 51mm in diameter. The Thomas Cremona pattern quarter was not struck into this medal, but is actually "glued" into place. I can move it back and forth slightly.

It looks like some of the leftover Thomas Cremona pattern quarters were gold plated and inserted into this huge silver medal. It weighs in at nearly 63 grams.

Hope you enjoy.

Z

IMG_2864.JPG IMG_2865.JPG IMG_2861.JPG IMG_2862.JPG

TheNickelGuy, gronnh20, Lem E and 4 others like this.
  5. ZoidMeister

6. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Well-Known Member

Wow! Gorgeous

ZoidMeister likes this.
  7. Paddy54

I just picked this up this ddo from CDB today 20211022_133740_resize_78.jpg 20211022_133714.jpg

Lem E, C-B-D, Gilbert and 4 others like this.
  8. ZoidMeister

Believe it or not, I found a SECOND one. I'll post photos of both when the second arrives.

I just had to have a pair of these.

Z

9. ZoidMeister

Second installment:

The following were created by the American Numismatic Society, which shouldn't be confused with the ANA.

In 1909, the former, located in New York and not Colorado, sought to throw a big shindig in commemoration of Henry Hudson and Robert Fulton's escapades on the river named after Hudson. All members of New Yorks high falutin society, the ANS had a bunch of medals struck up, designed by the notable engraver E. Fuchs. The design of these pieces certainly is fetching.

Here is the 63.5mm bronze given to attendees of their banquet complete with its original box.

Z

IMG_2851.JPG IMG_2852.JPG IMG_2853.JPG

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Lem E, KBBPLL, Eric the Red and 3 others like this.
  10. ZoidMeister

Here is the 50mm aluminum table medal. Not sure just yet how this one was originally sold or distributed, but it has been noted that current prices for these Hudson-Fulton commemoratives have been down for the last couple of years.

Z

IMG_2857.JPG IMG_2856.JPG

11. ZoidMeister

Coming in at 32mm, I call this one a "pocket medal."

Made of a more durable nickel composite, it can stand up to the rigors of daily pocket carry quite well.

Z

IMG_2868.JPG IMG_2869.JPG

12. ZoidMeister

There are two additional configurations of this design that I am aware of. I have one and am debating purchasing the final. I haven't taken photos of the most recent arrival yet, but will.

Z

13. Paddy54

Some sweet medals there Z!

ZoidMeister likes this.
  14. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

15. Paddy54

Eric the Red and Gilbert like this.
  16. Gilbert

No I did not, Paddy. Please enlighten me, as MPDs are not my forte.

17. Paddy54

I am the hunter lol images.jpeg.jpg

Eric the Red, ZoidMeister and Gilbert like this.
  18. Paddy54

MPD Misplaced Date the die maker struck two 1's in the rock perhasp a test before placing the date.
    Most of the time you find them in the denticles teeth as this specimen of mine. 1876 P MPD -002 2 6-3.jpg 1876 P MPD -002 1 6-3.jpg
    See the 18 in the teeth?

19. Paddy54

C:WINDOWSTempA696 - 20210831_150416.jpg
    This 1868 IHC a plate coin at PCGS you can see a date punch under the other digits.

ZoidMeister and Gilbert like this.
  20. Paddy54

Gilbert likes this.
  21. Gilbert

Bought it in June for $140, so I’m hoping you’re right.

ZoidMeister likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted