Let's see your newest acquisitions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Do you know the story of the "Bandit" ? When the Liberty V Nickel was first released it was the without "Cents" variety. Soon after hitting circulation some enterprising individuals found they could gold plate the coin and began passing them as 5 dollar gold pieces. This trick was soon discovered and of course the mint ceased production and redid the rev. die to include the cent designation. When word got out everyone who found a without cents coin stashed it away knowing there weren't many made and of course they speculated on the future value of the coin. That being said many specimens were saved and the "Cents" version being plentiful were spent, well circulated and except for the ones collectors tucked away were well worn over many years of use.
    When the statehood quarters were released I started to put away a bank roll of each thinking to the future but gave it up after remembering this story and knowing that many thousands of collectors were faithfully putting away rolls with each release. I have the feeling that putting together a uncirculated statehood set 100 years from now won't be all that difficult.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. some-willie.willieWANT

some-willie.willieWANT Active Member

4. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Fresh off the NGC grading line!

The 1972 was in a PCGS cleaned holder unbeknown to me before I bought it and cracked out where I bought it raw! B1516485-B02F-4872-82BF-6EE1B1A19963.jpeg

The 1838-O was a sub $200 raw eBay buy! 80202F36-9B47-4E27-A576-D6C0C224582A.png

Larry E, Mainebill, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

But but but... buying raw coins is dangerous and PCGS knows everything!

6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

1796 S-99 3.jpg
    The hardest thing about this one is grading. XF details, but with unexplained weakness at the date. Severe corrosion, but not as ugly as come. The highest detail level for this variety is XF45 and this is better in some areas and weaker at the date. But it is also the only one of the top 18 I would classify as scuzzy.

What's the net grade?

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Net Fine 15?

Marshall likes this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I hope so. I paid net AG money.

Hoky77 likes this.
  9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

11. greed ball

greed ball Active Member

He
    Hey, that's why I grabbed it, got lucky on that one.

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Gotta love market grading. Just got word that my 1942/1-D graded PCGS MS61 FB. IMG_0028-side.JPG

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

ps I picked the variety. S-99 R5. My third, but the other two are Fr and BS.

Hoky77 and NewbietoCoins like this.
  14. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

1689 William and Mary Half Crown 1st bust and shield pearls caul only frosted. This is currently at NGC. Hoping for an XF40, but would be somewhat satisfied with a VF35... somewhat.
    IMG_0548-side.JPG

Hoky77, Larry E, Endeavor and 9 others like this.
  16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Larry E, Treashunt, Endeavor and 11 others like this.
  17. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Very nice. Hope you get the XF40

C-B-D likes this.
  18. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Pretty nice die state...

The Overton book describes the O-107a as the same as the O-107 except there is a die crack between the 81 to bust and a small crack at the bust.

This variety with the die crack between the 81 to my knowledge is not known to exist. @Treashunt ?

The O-107a has small die break at the nose--this is also called a nose cud.

In addition Very Late Die States (VLDS) of this coin have die cud under the upper left serif of the first 1--yours shows this. upload_2020-1-18_7-37-16.png

19. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

These rolled in this morning 2019-S EHPR PCGS 1a-horz.jpg 2020-W PR ASE  1-horz.jpg

Larry E, Endeavor, CircCam and 4 others like this.
  20. William J Wylie

William J Wylie New Member

Picked up this beauty as my first purchase of the year. Natural or not, I liked the toning and the price was right. s-l16.jpg s-l17.jpg

Larry E, Mainebill, Endeavor and 7 others like this.
  21. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted