Let's see your newest acquisitions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Feb 25, 2011.

1. CircCam

CircCam Victory

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Definitely. The price guides have all jacked down their Peace prices and the auctions have followed suit. I suspended any plans to upgrade or add to mine.

Three years ago, there were articles about the Peace catching higher interest. Me thinks the prices got ahead of themselves and now are correcting.

One thing: it seems if you’re buying now, you certainly may be enjoying lower prices.

4. edssco

edssco Junior Member

Yeah I like peace dollars They are not as popular as the Morgan’s I guess.
    But it is easy for me to collect them as there is not as many of them and they are some low mintage ones I think that’s cool.
    And the fact that they were made because of the war being over and then they went through the depression lots history there.
    I’ve collected the raw ones for a while but I never thought I could get a MS 1921 or 1928 for the price I paid.
    I didn’t want to waste my hard-earned money on a coin that may have been improperly cleaned,scratched, tooled or whatever I decided to just go for it when and I had a little extra money.

Santinidollar and CircCam like this.
  5. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I was taken by this colorful 1919-S Lincoln, and it did not draw many bids. ($30) Presumably the weak "9" discouraged bidding.

The top of the wheat ears directly opposite the date is also weak, while the rest of the strike is really strong. The brown is shot through with red, purple, and blue.

01c 1919-S #03 full 03.JPG

01c 1919-S #03 full 01v.gif

Paul M., Santinidollar, robec and 8 others like this.
  6. edssco

edssco Junior Member

And this one too a 1934-S I think it’s a good investment for the future… 80D83F98-52DF-42E1-AE53-8B177D46213B.jpeg

Paul M., mark_h, robec and 9 others like this.
  7. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Nathan401 and Santinidollar like this.
  8. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Nothing wrong at all with your 34 S. The 27 D IMO, in MS would be a better (future) investment.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  9. Santinidollar

Thanks!

10. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Not sure why but I have a hard time passing on early comemmoratives that circulated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul M., mark_h, robec and 9 others like this.
  11. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I have always had a thing for that commemorative. I especially like the one you have!

12. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

13. Santinidollar

Here are two I won at Stack’s Bowers online auctions last week. Nice coins and nice prices.:woot:

First an 1864 copper nickel Indian Head Cent. Completes my quest for all three IHCs in this Civil War year.

64114058-A7AD-440F-A6BA-2EB3E2EDBC9C.jpeg

6F76A11D-AEEE-4A2F-B91E-06209407BF19.jpeg

192C9565-CEBE-4540-9366-0A659687DDCB.jpeg

Then, this Indian Quarter Eagle

7EBE0C6F-291E-4490-B348-86ACF75B9DBD.jpeg

D9036B24-39D3-409E-9352-63DE5B9C6D17.jpeg
    A30C3BC8-13BD-4261-A86D-4D5C5ED2F722.jpeg

And an unexpected freebie!

EF4B46B0-19AB-402B-990B-3BD024D5E6E8.jpeg

Paul M., mark_h, robec and 5 others like this.
  14. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

What year is the book written? Nice coins also.

Santinidollar likes this.
  15. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Just bought this these on
    Ebay. No special reason, just liked them for the price. Old age thing I guess. LOL 1890-s obverse.jpg 1890-s revers.jpg .

Attached Files:

Paul M., mark_h, robec and 3 others like this.
  16. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! This isn't a proof coin! Correct it was struck with proof dies as evidence is seen by the right ribbon isn't touching the wreath.
    However the coin shows signs or wear as well being dipped ,that said this was a MS strike using proof dies. After researching this coin ,and studing certain items that stick out this is another mistake made by PCGS.
    I'm sure that there will be thoxe whom disagree but if you do your home work you'll discover a few clues that point to an ms strike .....1 being a rusted proof die placed back into service to strike mint state coins.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  17. Santinidollar

Hey, buddy! Good to see you back.

Nathan401 and IBetASilverDollar like this.
  18. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that would be bad news would probably be a whole lot more as a business strike DMPL. I definitely defer to your H10 expertise but I don't think this could be anything other than a proof strike based on the deep flashy mirrors and strong cameo.

edit: and welcome back!

19. Paddy54

Like most members here after you posted this find I viewed it and thought what a nice specimen. Not being able to post until today I decided to do some homework.
    That included sending an image to a expert in this series to ask them their take comparing it to my findings.
    1868 ~ 88600 coins struck at Philadelphia, none at New Orleans, 280,000 at San Francisco and 600 proofs,.....the number of working dies at Philadelphia both Obv. &Rev. are unknown, San Francisco Obv. 0 Rev.6
    Doing research searching for other proof specimens that had the same markers,
    Plus the strike through that many have missed on the rev. Left side mid wreath, the rust pits on the right arm under Liberty neck,and on her gown one must question the mint turning out 600 proofs or even 1 that had such defects that were so obvious if the image was enlarged and studied.
    There's several areas where a proof die new and polished wouldn't produce a coin with such disregard to the finished product.
    What would? Well a mis stored die used to strike 600 proof coins. Then breifly retouched and placed back in service to produce mint state coins. Again there's no doupt that the die was a proof as the right ribbon on the rev. Isn't touching the wreath ,that is a dead give away for the proof die strike.
    Unfortunately until today I haven't been able to log on and post my findings.
    I've done my homework anyone wishing to refute it is time to do yours!
    I find the specimen very eye appealing ..... but IMHO isn't a proof coin but a mint state struck using an proof die reinstated back in the press at Philadelphia.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  20. Paddy54

As you say DMPL ,that would be the case if a proof die was repurposed to strike mint state coins.
    How do you explain the wear? And the two areas on the rev. Strike through? As well the rust pits,on the obv.?

21. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

I have no ammo to refute anything you say on the topic that's for sure. My only comment is it looks like every other 19th century proof I've held and looks nothing like any business strike I've held - now I'm not all that experienced especially with half dimes so of course that doesn't hold a ton of weight.

I would love for it to be a business strike but holding it in hand I just can't see it. It has the proof mirrors you would expect, cameo contrast and hairlines you'd expect for the grade.

I'd love to get this in an NGC PL holder but I absolutely can't stand the crackout/crossover game and even if everything you say is exactly right I bet NGC still holders it a proof.

Altho they have holdered 7 in PL for 1868 so who knows

Draft saved Draft deleted