Let's see your most beloved"Toned" Silver coins...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jason Hoffpauir, Jun 11, 2016.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

As am I, I hope you create a new thread when your submission comes back.
    Good luck and prosper....;)

Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

My son gave this to me, priceless 2000 ASE Colored-horz.jpg

6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Domitian Minerva denarius.jpg
    ROMAN EMPIRE
    EMPEROR DOMITIAN
    AR Denarius
    Rome Mint, 87CE

7. rickyc

rickyc Member

How do they get "toned" so fast? I have 75-100 yr. old coins that are still MS silver.

8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Considering collectors 60-100 years ago kept their coins in cabinets or envelopes, I'd be suspicious of any 100+ year old coin without toning. Probably your shinny ones were expertly dipped at some point in the past. The experts can do that without damaging the coins, or leaving any traces of it. Even NGC is now offering that service to collectors, except they call it "restoration".

Anyway, here is a 2,400 year old Athenian tetradrachm with a nice even medium toning. Obviously not the original toning, but it's probably not seen any cleaning in a few decades.

Attica Athena Owl Tet.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
  9. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

There are a lot of factors....Some of these coins I purchased on E bay and could not tell you where they were stored and most of them I had for several years. I can tell you that I lived in Wahiawa, Hawaii and was there for 3 years when I was in the U.S. Army. I know for a "fact" that the oxidation on the silver of my coins expedited the toned look my coins have due to the excessive "salts" in the air. I lived close to the North Shore and if you know anything about Hawaii...you will know that is where the surfers like to surf; thus I lived close to the ocean. I have asked this question and when I mention that I lived in Hawaii...almost ALL those that I talked to said that this is the reason my silver coins are so toned. I haven't heard anyone refute this...so I tend to believe this. JMHO.

10. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

11. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Haha, i still have it & do you know why?
    To this day i STILL havent found an upgrade, and i probably wont, atleast for the price i paid 4 this one.....

12. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted