Lets see your favorite tetradrachms!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by non_cents, May 10, 2017.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

It would probably be best if you started a thread for that coin - it will probably have a better chance of being seen.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

It comes in at a fraction of the cost of some of my coins but the style on BOTH sides, the centering and the strength of the strike always makes this one a favorite to hold and look at. I have yet to find one since that I have liked as much (and I have seen hundreds since)

[​IMG]

THRACE, Mesambria. Circa 175-150 BC. AR Tetradrachm

THRACE, Mesambria. Circa 175-150 BC. AR Tetradrachm (33mm, 16.52 g, 11h). In the name and types of Alexander III of Macedon. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY, Zeus Aetophoros -(Zeus carrying and eagle) seated left; in inner left field, ΠPO above crested Corinthian helmet right; HPA below throne. Karayotov I 127 (O44/R122); Topalov, Messambria 18; Price 1084. EF, lightly toned, tiny die break in field on obverse Ex CNG Triton XVII Lot 98

Puckles, Andres2, Alegandron and 18 others like this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

My Tets from favorite to least favorite

#1: Trajan Melqart Tet from Tyre

Trajan Melqart tetradracm of Tyre .jpg

#2: Athenian Owl

Attica Athena Owl Tet.jpg

#3: Alexander III (Babylon under Seleukos)

Alexander III Tetradrachm.jpg

#4: Probus Tet from Alexandria
    3ckHaAp2L45noEM7B8aF9xTq85qWtE.jpg

#5 Philip I Tet from Antioch

Philip I Tetadrachm of Antioch.jpeg

#6: Gallienus Tet from Alexandria

Galienus.jpg

Well, that's it. Only 6 Tets. I need a few more.

5. 4to2centBC

yes you do. that can be fixed.

I happen to gravitate toward tetras and have more than a few. I have a very nice Philip I
    [​IMG]

I have no plans on selling it.

btw I happen to need a Cuban painting. I have none. :D

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    icerain, Puckles, Andres2 and 12 others like this.
  6. Sallent

Keep teasing me and I may actually take you up on the offer. Just a heads up, you've satisfied the requirements under Lucy vs. Zehmer, 84 S.E. 2d. 516 (1954) for a valid offer to contract based on outward appearances. All that is missing would be my acceptance. :)

PS: Jesus, I need a life. It's been 8 years since I've read that case and I can probably quote half of it verbatim.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Cucumbor and Jwt708 like this.
  7. 4to2centBC

You would be surprised how much I know about what I am saying here. I don't need the warning, although I know that you are best served to give it.

I am serious. I love your $25 cuban girl with the flag hidden in her sleeves. I just came back from cabo and could find nothing to compare. So yes, All I need is your acceptance.

Life is short, for all of us. For me, she'll make each day of it seem a little bit longer.

M

8. 4to2centBC

good. then we are not wasting our time here............other than the usual waste of time here.:angelic:

btw I hear Philip calling in the distance, from the bank deposit box.........so lonely......:bigtears:

9. Sallent

There is a Cuban saying that goes like this "Guerra avisada no mata soldados." The rough English translation is "Warnings of war don't kill soldiers." Of course, like most sayings in another language, a literal translation doesn't capture the accurate meaning. A truer to spirit translation to English is probably along the lines of "Fair warning prevents casualties / missunderstandings."

10. 4to2centBC

Done deal.............and one of the more fun ones I have been involved in.

Gracias senor. El gusto es mio.

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Celtic Imitation Philip II AR Drachm Kugelwangel type- Agora auction.JPG
    Celtic Imitation Philip II AR Drachm Kugelwangel type- Agora auction

Celtic Imitation Philip II AR Drachm - pecunum auction.JPG
    Celtic Imitation Philip II AR Drachm Kugelwangel type - pecunum auction

icerain, gogili1977, Puckles and 4 others like this.
  12. 4to2centBC

Since it is flying south soon, I decided to rush to the bank so I could get some final quality time.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Tetradrachm Philip I Antioch Syria.

icerain, Puckles, Andres2 and 3 others like this.
  13. Sallent

Here is what I don't get. If Antioch could produce this stunning quality of art:

philip_I_syria_tet_final_compressed.jpg

How on earth did it ever produce this?

Philip I Tetadrachm of Antioch.jpeg

Not that I'm complaining about my current tet of Philip I, but compared to my future Tet of Philip I, the old one seems a little "clownish."

The top coin is easily recognizable as Philip I from a mile away, the bottom one might as well be a Northern Puffer Fish wearing a wig, laureate, and dressed in cuirass as far as anyone is concerned.

puffer.jpg

icerain, TheRed, Theodosius and 4 others like this.
  14. 4to2centBC

Hunting for one that looks like the first coin is most of the fun. At least it is for me. This has been in other collections and has a nice tone. Someone with a good eye spotted this long before I did. I looked for several years at this type before buying this one and I promised myself I would not sell it. I kept that promise.....technically, pero el amor es amor y yo debo tener a la chica cubana.

The heart wants what the heart wants.

btw don't diss your current example, you may want to sell it to buy another painting down the line.. ;-)

Theodosius likes this.
  15. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

One could ask this about almost any issue. And that indeed it part of the fun - finding those coins which sing to you.

16. Puckles

Puckles Cat Whisperer

My one and only tet. But what a beauty!

[​IMG]

Silver tetradrachm struck 323-317 BC at Babylon,
    Mesopotamia, in the name of Alexander the Great

Head of young Herakles wearing lion’s skin headress
    Zeus enthroned holding eagle and sceptre,
    M to left, ΛY beneath throne.

Price 3692; Muller 1272; SNG Cop. 832

TIF, icerain, Jwt708 and 7 others like this.
  17. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

dougsmit and 4to2centBC like this.
  18. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

@Sallent @4to2centBC
    So are we going to get to see this $25 Cuban girl that a beautiful Philip I Antioch tet was traded for?

19. 4to2centBC

it is in another thread, but here you go

btw not a bad trade IMO. I heard someone once offered a kingdom for a horse.

[​IMG]

20. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorites. I just love the obverse. The reverse is nothing to write home about but it is a really nice example of what is usually a pretty nasty coin it is a tetradrachm of Side circa 200 B.C. side1.jpg

TIF, icerain, Cucumbor and 8 others like this.
  21. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I beg your pardon? The entire coin is beautiful

TIF, 4to2centBC and Puckles like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted