Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I will ask next time I am in there.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

52mm sterling silver.

Z

IMG_2859.JPG IMG_2858.JPG

5. meandyou4ever0

meandyou4ever0 meandyou4ever0

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. meandyou4ever0

wow I looked them up.
    Sure wish I had the whole set in good condition!!

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Now you are making me wonder.
    I got those as a tip from a customer.
    Haven't looked them up.

Cheech9712 and ZoidMeister like this.
  8. meandyou4ever0

Nice tip!

9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Coin I squashed at the A A C A Museum in Hersey, PA A A C A Museum elongated cent A1-vert.jpg

11. meandyou4ever0

I've done a couple pennies this way in a machine at the Montgomery Zoo when I was in elementary school. Of course I don't have them now. Wish I did

ZoidMeister and dwhiz like this.
  12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

That stinks. What happened there. That breaks my heart. I know you love trains. Was that the best you could do. I still have the one I did at Babe Ruth’s house. Was visiting Niece at Johns Hopkins. And an Orioles game. At new Camden Yards. Then to Washington Mind you. Babe Ruth’s. Was attended by all

Last edited: May 24, 2024
    dwhiz, MIGuy and SensibleSal66 like this.
  13. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hey all! Not sure if I showed this to you. I thought @dwhiz would get a kick out of it. biggrin.gif
    elongated coinTrolleyMuseum .jpg

14. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I saw one of these and decided I needed to have one if I could find one at a decent price. It's an 1858 brass perpetual calendar medal with a rotating inner wheel on the reverse. The obverse has George Washington on horseback, with the legend, “ The Father of Our Country.” Engraved by Peter H. Jacobus, with initials, "P H J" in the grass below Washington's horse. Jacobus engraved this die in 1858 for a storecard issued by S.J. Bestor. The die was then used to produce this calendar medal. Price (on best offer) was $151 in an NGC slab, graded AU58. I've seen them ungraded / not as nice for $50 and up. I just think it's neat and I think this is a nice example!

1858washcal1.jpg 1858washcal2.jpg 1858washcal3.jpg

15. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

ZoidMeister, dwhiz and SensibleSal66 like this.
  16. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I think this could be a New, Really, Really, Really Big, Major Error. If you can not say which is the obverse and which is the reverse, then, are they really there? :troll:

Two coin clubs apparently founded on the same day and holding their annual coin show on the same day. Presumably they split the cost of striking the medals.

Toned copper, M/A, 31mm, 15.87 grams

Attached Files:

17. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I've seen this medal before but don't own one.

More than likely they were sister clubs who conducted their coin shows together to save money and increase drawing power. I also imagine that they shared the cost of the medal.

Bruce

longnine009 likes this.
  18. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's a couple John Matthews Soda Water Tokens, the bottom one unfortunately has seen better days condition wise but you can't always get what you want, we all learned that from Mick! :D The diameter of the bottom one is 42.6mm and 1/4" thick, quite the honker! :smuggrin:

20240604_034439575_iOS.jpg 20240604_034457511_iOS.jpg 20240601_055947569_iOS.jpg 20240601_055935361_iOS.jpg matthews10.jpg

BRandM and ZoidMeister like this.
  19. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I like the first Matthews store card despite the wear. Otherwise, the token is problem free with a nice even brown color.

Bruce

ZoidMeister and fretboard like this.
  20. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah the 1863 is likely the more pricey of the two but the 1882 may be more rare, the condition sucks but that's okay, I like rare! :D Top link is about the 1882 and the bottom link is about various soda Tokens being collected! :cigar:

https://www.numismaticmall.com/encyclopedic-dictionary-of-numismatic-biographies/matthews-john-henry

A History of Soda Water and Soda Water Tokens – NovaNumismatics.com

Draft saved Draft deleted