Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

ldhair likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

This morning I noticed my coaster was getting real wobbly. So I checked eBay and found these beauties:eek::D:banghead: Rare Coin Coasters 1.jpg Rare Coin Coasters 2.jpg

4. Ra1der5

Ra1der5 Member

Okay, so this thread is over a decade old with 637 pages of posts and still obviously active. I’m new here sooo…. welp, guess I should get started!

I had to look up “exonumia”. Not sure if this counts, but I’ll share the story…

I’m a beach metal detectorist. People think summer is the best time for detecting, but it’s actually winter. Heavier metals sink in the soft beach sand. When we have a good storm, waves wash the sand away and that’s when a good detectorist can get down to heavier targets that have been buried for decades.

After three years of La Niña winters and very little sand movement, the California coast lines were ravaged by the 2023 winter storms. A couple of months ago, I was working behind another beach detectorist. He was searching near the waterline and I could tell he was having little luck as he wasn’t digging many targets. As a result, I chose to detect higher up on the beach. I found a small cut created by water washing up against an embankment and exposing the hard pan beneath. The area might have only been 15’x30’, but that was enough to provide a couple hours of work. Among other targets, I found a war nickel, a Franklin half, and this 6.6g, 14k gold, 1906 San Francisco Conflagration Adjustor’s badge/pin (quarter for size reference).

upload_2023-4-23_14-47-25.jpeg

I’ve found these being sold in the form of a pin on the internet, but this one does not have evidence of a clasp on the back. I’m still researching if they were given as an award or used for identification, how many were issued, and the person that owned this one (name engraved on the back). The company that printed these was sold several times since this badge was issued and the records did not transfer. I have reached out to several museums in the Bay Area and still following leads.

There’s some pretty cool stuff posted in this thread. Thanks for your interest!

Attached Files:

5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Your AM Legion pin. I’m pretty much sure that only north Tonawanda is the only Tonawanda in Niagara county. All the other Tonawandas Are in Erie country. Guess one’s better then none

fretboard likes this.
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

@StrongBadHolyCrap.gif

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah I don't know anything about it, just caught my eye so I bought it! thumbsup.gif It's a bit big which makes me think it may be pre-64, it's like 2" across and around 1.75" tall, fits right into my Native American section! :D

11261242a.jpg 11261242b.jpg

8. dwhiz

9. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Great Britain - Whist card game counter token, 1845

Great Britain whist card game token 1845 obv-side.jpg

10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Curley's Tavern West Palm Beach Florida. It's a fish scale: 18mm .69 gram. Guess Ole Curley was a bit frugal with the aluminum. The listing raised the possibility that the name could be Gurley's rather than Curley's. I think the die sinker had some moter control issues and slipped or hiccupped.

I can't find a listing for either name in the Florida book or supplement or on TokenCatalog.com Guess that means I can believe what I wanna believe, yeaya--Hail Ceasar. He shall be Curley the Frugal.

20230509_083742.jpg 20230509_083814.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's one I just got delivered yesterday, Harvard Golf Club! :smuggrin: The Bear Token is another super rare one I just added to Token Catalog! Last one is an Odd Fellows Token from long, long ago! thumbupp.gif

112610223a.jpg 112610223b.jpg 112610223c.jpg goldenbearc.jpg goldenbearb.jpg bear (1).jpg 11264964c.jpg 11264964d.jpg

13. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think I.O.O.F. tokens are quite scarce as rule of thumb.
    exnu (309).JPG exnu (310).JPG

14. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

ND Westminster Abbey. Not sure what this is, just big and pretty and shiny.

ND Westminster Abbey.jpg

alurid, expat, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  15. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Picked up a few iterations of these from the 1 Euro machine inside. Sadly, 9 months later it burned.
    Notre_Dame.jpg

16. coin_nut

ND Sikh Temple token

ND Sikh Temple.jpg

alurid, expat, dwhiz and 1 other person like this.
  17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That is an most interesting token........quite intriguing to me as I most respect the Sikh's.....formidable warriors indeed. :)

18. coin_nut

Here's another one. I notice the prices for the Sikh silver rupees are sky high. I have not yet been luck on any ebay auctions for them.

ND Sikh Temple (4).jpg

19. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

Most recent "find"-
    E5E7F3B6-EB8F-4C21-BE6C-3733CC062692.jpeg
    56815E8B-31F8-4DBB-8C3B-14BB172EC8C6.jpeg

alurid, longnine009, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  20. dwhiz

21. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Looking through a junk box of keyrings this morning in a little side street shop. These two I couldn't resist for the grand total of 50 Euro cents.
    One is an advertising token from the Piaget watch company, the other was a proof medal until someone soldered a ring to it. They were the origin of the tourist tokens available at the Tower of London.
    20230521_191356 (2).jpg 20230521_191508 (2).jpg 20230521_191232 (2).jpg 20230521_192955 (2).jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted