Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

This is a very rare piece of siege money issued by the city of Cork, Ireland in September, 1690 when besieged by the forces of William lll during the Williamite War (1688-1690).

Most, if not all were overstruck on merchant tokens of William Ballard dated 1677. Ballard was the mayor of Cork City at the time and likely authorized their issuance and, apparently, supplied the tokens used to strike them on. Some show the undertype while others don't.

Surprisingly, I bought this example from a collector in western Pennsylvania. You would expect them to show up in the UK or Ireland for obvious reasons.

I only know of about half a dozen examples which is why they're always described as very rare.

Bruce
    Corke Token 1.JPG Corke Token 1.JPG Corke Token 3.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

(Thought I'd distract myself from current problems and post)

1734 Holland VOC Duit
    "New York Penny"

1734HollandVOCDuitNewYorkPennyOBV.jpg

1734HollandVOCDuitNewYorkPennyREV.jpg

1734 VOC Duit
    These copper coins, a bit smaller than a U.S. quarter, were struck in Holland, at the Dordrecht Mint, for circulation in Indonesia for the Dutch East India Company.

They also saw circulation in the coin-starved U.S. Colonies and are sometimes referred to as a "New York Penny".

This is an above average specimen with sharp date and details as well as an attractive brown patina.
    The 1734 is listed as KM# 70

4. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

1933 Chicago World's Fair
    2.25 in. Lucky Penny
    Fort Dearborn

1933FortDearbornLuckyPennySouvenirOBV.jpg

1933FortDearbornLuckyPennySouvenirREV.jpg

Fort Dearborn was a United States fort built in 1803 beside the Chicago River, in what is now Chicago, Illinois. It was constructed by troops under Captain John Whistler and named in honor of Henry Dearborn, then United States Secretary of War. The original fort was destroyed following the Battle of Fort Dearborn during the War of 1812.

1933FortDearbornLuckyPennySouvenirArtwork2.jpg

During the War of 1812, General William Hull ordered the evacuation of Fort Dearborn in August 1812. Capt. Heald oversaw the evacuation, but on August 15 the evacuees were ambushed along the trail by about 500 Potawatomi Indians in the Battle of Fort Dearborn. The Potawatomi captured Heald and his wife, Rebekah, and ransomed them to the British. Of the 148 soldiers, women, and children who evacuated the fort, 86 were killed in the ambush. The Potawatomi burned the fort to the ground the next day.

1933FortDearbornLuckyPennySouvenirArtwork.jpg

In 1933, at the Century of Progress Exhibition, a detailed replica of Fort Dearborn was erected as a fair exhibit.

When I bought this it was nice. When it arrived in a thin unpadded
    manila envelope loose, it had that unsightly rim dent. :-0

5. BRandM

I've known about these VOC coins for a long time but never knew they were used in New York. That would qualify them as US Colonial issues then. Very interesting.

Bruce

TheNickelGuy and SensibleSal66 like this.
  6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I could not pass on this vintage Numismatic piece.
    Nice its still in original envelope.
    I'm assuming its from Newburgh, NY. Coin Club.
    20220509_222904.jpg 20220509_223136.jpg 20220509_223158.jpg

7. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

1969 Martha Washington
    SCFC Sterling Silver Medal

IMAGE_OBV_505934.jpg

IMAGE_REV_505934.jpg

Commissioned by the Societe Commemorative de Femmes Celebres. (SCFC)

One of the more popular issues, number 22 in the set of 50 medals struck to honor famous women. I believe that 3,220 of these were minted in sterling silver.

Martha Washington She had first married wealthy Daniel Parke Custis, with whom she had four children. Daniel was 20 years older than Martha and he died suddenly. Martha was widowed by the age of 25.

George Washington probably knew both Martha and Daniel Parke Custis for some time before Daniel's death.

Martha became a rich young widow at age 25, with independent control over a dower inheritance for her lifetime, and trustee control over the inheritance of her minor children. She was left in custody of some 17,500 acres of land and 300 slaves, other investments and money. She capably ran five plantations left to her, bargaining with London merchants.
    Two of her four children by Custis survived to young adulthood.

Mary Custis Lee, was Martha Washington's great-granddaughter, step-great-granddaughter of George Washington, and was the wife of Confederate General Robert E. Lee.

Martha and George Washington had no children together. Martha Custis, age 27, and George Washington, age 26, had a grand wedding on January 6, 1759.

IMAGE_OBV_505936.jpg

Martha Washington joined her husband during the Revolution for all the Continental Army's winter encampments. Before the revolution began, she had kept close to home; during it, she traveled thousands of miles to be with her husband. Martha was not fully supportive of Washington's agreeing to be President of the newly formed United States.

GeorgeMarthaWashingtonAtValleyForge.jpg

This has been hanging on the wall forever.

I have some suspicion this artwork will be some kind of Sunday newspaper insert from maybe 1926 Sesquicentennial or perhaps even earlier. This thing is OLD and it is could be brittle. It measures about 21 x 13.

Now it's no Rembrandt, I know, but it has some great American character and I must preserve it while I can.
    There are many Valley Forge pictures but I cannot find another of this.

Well, I did get the job done. Unfortunately the paper was permanently glued to the cardboard.
    I cleaned everything up and put it back together.
    There is a crease down the middle so it came from some kind of book or magazine or newspaper. No other clues are available. Somebody did write lightly in pencil
    "Washington at Valley Forge" on the back.

It is clean and back on the wall. It still is a pretty neat picture. Looks better than presented here.

GeorgeMarthaWashingtonAtValleyForge2.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    Eric the Red, dwhiz and Chris B like this.
  8. BRandM

Love the token, alurid. I would imagine it's Newburgh, NY too.

I have a nice collection of club pieces overstruck on coins or just struck as tokens. The original envelope adds to interest to it. Great piece.

Bruce

TheNickelGuy and alurid like this.
  9. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Pretty happy to have secured this one. Now the post office needs to do their part.

Z

Screenshot_20220512-035122_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220512-035135_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220512-035211_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220512-035250_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220512-035316_eBay.jpg

10. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

1936 Cleveland Centennial
    Great Lakes Exposition

IMAGE_OBV_444891.jpg

IMAGE_REV_444891.jpg

The medal is 1 3/16 inches across in size. It is a white metal with a silvery lustered finish. There is a place for a hole to be drilled but this one has not been drilled.
    There is not a hook on this one.

This is association piece AP19 in Kuethe's reference on magician's tokens. Used by magician Jack Miller.
    It is classified there as a "Hook Coin".

A hooked coin is exactly like the title suggests; a coin with a small hook welded into it.
    The main use of this hook is to hide the coin on a piece of clothing and make it vanish. The magician can easily retrieve it to make it reappear.

Other than that, I cannot find out much. It is not a high quality medal but I got it cheap enough to fill a hole in my collection to represent this exposition.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  11. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Ottumwa Iowa Souvenir Nickel
    Indian Head - Wheat Stalks
    White Metal about 72mm

I just got this pretty cheap off eBay and it is probably one of the more scarce issued towns or city souvenir "Big Lucky Nickels" on a fairly common design. I think I am closing in on about twenty different Lucky Penny and Lucky Nickels in my collection?
    I think they were most popular in the 1930's. I wish there was more information on these. Anyone know of a website? Shoot me a message.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  12. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

1907 Jamestown expo, silver and gilt bronze

upload_2022-5-15_20-40-25.jpeg

upload_2022-5-15_20-40-41.jpeg

Jamestown Tercentennial Exposition - 1907 - Norfolk County, VA

GILT MEDAL - Jamestown Tercentennial Exposition OF 1907.
    This is the Gilt version of this medal. HK 347 So Called Dollars

Obv: a female Indian bust "Pocahantas" in center circle; outside around, Ter-Centennial of the Settlement of Jamestown and below 1607—1907 with beaded border.
    Rev: Sailing ships in center, around Landing of Expedition Under Capt John Smith; May 13. 1607 at bottom with beaded border.

Design and size the same for all medals: bronze, gilt, silver and silver plated bronze medals.

13. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

14. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Newly arrived official medal and literature, Peace dollar for scale

upload_2022-5-16_20-50-41.jpeg

upload_2022-5-16_20-51-21.jpeg

Eric the Red, MIGuy, Paddy54 and 5 others like this.
  15. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

1970 The Prophet Jonah
    Genius of Michelangelo Series
    Franklin Mint

45mm 1.25 troy ounce
    .925 sterling silver

1970JonahOBV.jpg

1970JonahREV.jpg

The Prophet Jonah is one of the seven Old Testament prophets painted by the Italian High Renaissance master Michelangelo (c. 1542–1545) on the Sistine Chapel ceiling. The Sistine Chapel is in Vatican Palace, in the Vatican City.

1970JonahArtwork2.jpg

This particular fresco is painted above the High Altar, as the person of Jonah is of prophetic significance in Christianity. Behind the figure of Jonah, Michelangelo has painted a large fish, a reference to the fact that in the Book of Jonah, Jonah is swallowed by one.

1970JonahArtwork1.jpg

The great fish vomits up Jonah after he is the belly for three days praying in repentance.

16. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

1971 Milwaukee Mayors
    Sterling Silver Medal
    Franklin Mint

1971MilwaukeeMayorOBV.jpg

1971MilwaukeeMayorREV.jpg

A silly blunder by The Franklin Mint. This medal states that Milwaukee is Wisconsin's beautiful capital city.
    Madison is the actual capital of Wisconsin.

1971MilwaukeeMayorGallery.jpg

A tale of two mayors or is that Maiers?

1971MilwaukeeMayorHenryMaier.jpg

Henry Walter Maier (February 7, 1918 – July 17, 1994) was an American politician and the longest-serving mayor of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, holding office from 1960 to 1988.

1971MilwaukeeMayorBillDyke.jpg

William D. "Bill" Dyke (April 25, 1930 – March 10, 2016) was an American lawyer, judge, and politician. He was a two-term mayor of Madison, Wisconsin from 1969 to 1973 and ran with Lester Maddox for vice president on the American Independent Party ticket in 1976.

The obverse shows an image of The Milwaukee War Memorial Building.

1971MilwaukeeMayorArtwork3.jpg

Eric the Red, MIGuy, Chris B and 4 others like this.
  17. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Thought this was different. 32mm by 3.2mm, 23.7g. A bit clunky for a pocket piece.
    EAFEFEE1-5644-431B-9F09-3DD3F2F8640C.jpeg 9378AE54-6200-45CB-A2E7-69FDE94EC9F2.jpeg

Eric the Red, Paddy54, alurid and 2 others like this.
  18. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Lakeland (Florida) Coin Club, 1978, 20mm, 3.4 grams, copper, M/A, Defiant Eagle reverse

20220520_145045.jpg 20220520_145857.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  19. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Every day at the exact same time I like that Groundhog Day medal and post this.

20. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Finally got my own photos taken.

Z

IMG_3820.JPG IMG_3821.JPG

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I just framed this piece. ...I would like to find the two stamps uncanceled to add to the print. 20220521_180740.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted