Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

ZoidMeister, lordmarcovan and Chris B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

ZoidMeister and TheNickelGuy like this.
  4. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I have my inventory stored over there too. Same name as here.
    I plan to post my Canadian Tokens but have to take all new images.
    I would do a better job the second time around.
    You have to post just so.
    But the staff is nice and will correct any errors.

5. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Transit Token c 1920-21
    20 Pfennig Martin Behaim
    Streetcar Railway Nuremberg-Furth 2CC23EA1-A324-4543-BF57-3914FCF8ABF2.jpeg 89190BF6-04B3-49CF-853B-2AE9DCAE87FB.jpeg

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

7. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

How I feel following @TheNickelGuy in this thread . . . .

Z

IMG_3594.JPG IMG_3595.JPG

8. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I had a funny feeling I was being followed. LOL
    Great stuff in here. Those are very unusual transportation tokens from Nuremberg.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  9. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Don't hate me for this but I'm a fan.
    And I am glad that Brian Kelly is finally GONE!

He won ZERO National Championships and only stuck around, in my opinion, to surpass Rockne in wins.
    He was no Knute Rockne.

1967 The Four Horsemen Ride Over Army Medal
    From the 12 pc Cavalcade of Sports Silver Medal Set
    Metal Arts Co., Inc. of Rochester, NY.

FourHorsemanGallery.jpg

The Four Horsemen of Notre Dame comprised a group of American football players at the University of Notre Dame under coach Knute Rockne. They were the backfield of Notre Dame's 1924 football team. The players that made up this group were quarterback Harry Stuhldreher, left halfback Jim Crowley, right halfback Don Miller, and fullback Elmer Layden.

In 1924, The foursome needed some help from Grantland Rice, a sportswriter for the former New York Herald Tribune, to achieve football immortality.
    After Notre Dame's 13–7 upset victory over a strong Army team, on October 18, 1924, Rice penned "the most famous football lead of all-time".

"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore their names are Death, Destruction, Pestilence, and Famine. But those are aliases. Their real names are: Stuhldreher, Crowley, Miller and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds this afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down upon the bewildering panorama spread out upon the green plain below."

After the team arrived back in South Bend, he posed the four players, dressed in their uniforms, on the backs of four horses from a livery stable in town. The wire services picked up the now-famous photo, and the legendary status of the Four Horsemen was assured.

FourHorsemanArtwork2.jpg

The Four Horsemen had run rampant through Irish opponents' defenses since coach Knute Rockne devised the lineup in 1922 during their sophomore season. During the three-year tenure of the Four Horsemen, Notre Dame lost only two games; one each in 1922 and 1923, both to Nebraska in Lincoln before packed houses.

Although none of the four stood taller than six feet or weighed more than 162 pounds, they played 30 games as a unit and only lost to one team, Nebraska, twice. They played at a time when there were no separate offensive and defensive teams. All players had to play both sides. Once a player left the field, he could not come back into the game.

The linemen also earned the less famous nickname, The Seven Mules.

I am glad to own this very nice example
    The Four Horsemen - 1955 Topps All-American #68 sportscard.

FourHorsemanArtwork.jpg

1971 Knute Rockne
    National Commemorative Society
    Franklin Mint Sterling Silver Medal

1971KnuteRockneGallery.jpg

Edge No. 4834
    Metal Sterling Silver
    Mintage 5292
    Size 39mm
    Weight 0.83oz

Head Coach Notre Dame Record
    Won 105
    Lost 12
    Tied 5
    Won 3 national 1924, 1929 and 1930

Not the Army "Win One For The Gipper" Speech
    But from a Newsreel Motivational Rockne Speech game is unknown.

Read Along

And the same backfield, Jimmy, you and Collins, Chevigny, and Niemiec. Now-w the success of any team men is based on team-play -- the same as you've shown all year --: Sacrifice; unselfish sacrifice! These are the fellows they say are pretty good; but I think we're better! And I think if we get ourselves keyed up to a point, and when we're confident of that ... why-y-y the results will take care of themselves.

All right, now. On the kickoff -- if we receive, the zone men will drop back to the receiver and block long -- that old Notre Dame style. If we kickoff -- which the rest of the teams want -- let's run down fast -- just as fast as you can run. And then we go on defense. And on defense -- I want the center in and out of that line -- according to the situation. Use your old head! And I want you guards charging through as far as you can go -- on every play. Expect the play right over you every time --.

And the tackles -- I want you to go in a yard and a half -- and then check yourselves. Spread your feet -- squat down low -- and be ready with your hands and elbows, so you won't be sideswiped. But I want the ends in there fast every play. Every play, but under control. And you men in the backfield there, I want you to analyze it before you move. If they throw a forward pass, a zone pass, wait ‘til you see the ball in the air -- and then go and get it! And when we get it, boys, that's when we go on offense. And that's when we go to ‘em -- and, don't forget, we're gonna pick on one last one tackle that is weak.

We're going inside of ‘em, we're going outside of ‘em -- inside of ‘em! outside of ‘em! -- and when we get them on the run once, we're going to keep ‘em on the run. And we're not going to pass unless their secondary comes up too close. But don't forget, men -- we're gonna get ‘em on the run, we're gonna go, go, go, go! -- and we aren't going to stop until we go over that goal line! And don't forget, men -- today is the day we're gonna win. They can't lick us -- and that's how it goes... The first platoon men -- go in there and fight, fight, fight, fight, fight! What do you say, men!

1955rockneFpossiblereprint.jpg

1955rockneBpossiblereprint.jpg

10. lordmarcovan

I just upgraded my Feuchtwanger cent.

The old: PCGS AU53…

B7E4AE5D-03A2-4A91-B26E-81610A0E647B.png

The new: PCGS MS64

535B2576-8D6B-4344-B049-D4E499D754B1.png 3CE10B3B-3565-4AD1-9B3D-AE2E14F0A4FD.png

11. lordmarcovan

Finally got another Monitor CWT

1CB52619-29E5-4917-8072-5F0D692138E8.jpeg

12. lordmarcovan

And a “SPOOT” error CWT as well…

66311186-B7DC-4BD3-9C60-0DD53B5425CA.png B4FFC10F-AEDA-4975-AC02-8D488E1CACD5.png

13. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

14. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

1969 Amelia Earhart
    Medallic Art Co.
    Kansas Statehood Silver Medal

1969AmiliaEarhartMACOSilverGallery.jpg

Kansas born Amelia Earhart
    The silver versions are harder to find than the bronze, and certainly some are more popular in the Statehood Set than others.
    I find this one to be easily in the top 10 most popular.
    I have not found mintage figures for this series, but it is my observation, there were a lot of bronze made.

There are several women I admire in history whom I have collected & posted about in this thread over time. Annie Oakley, Joan of Arc, and Pocahontas are others but I like some others too including some Patriots, Goddesses and Queens.

Rather than repeat my write-ups, I thought I'd just say Amelia Earhart is one of my favorite female persons for sure. She was smart, enterprising & courageous. I bet she had a great personality, and certainly was an inspiration for women.

1969 Amelia Earhart
    Medallic Art Co.
    Kansas Statehood Bronze Medal

1969AmiliaEarhartMACOgallery.jpg
    1928 Amelia Earhart - Seaplane Friendship
    Trans Atlantic Flight
    34mm Bronze
    and Silvered Bronze

1928AmeliaEarhartSeaplaneMedalGallery.jpg

Amelia Earhart born July 24, 1897; disappeared July 2, 1937

1928AmeliaEarhartSeaplaneSilveredMedalGallery.jpg

Although, this medal is commemorating The 1928 Transatlantic flight and Amelia Earhart is credited for the first woman to cross the Atlantic in flight, she had little to do with the flying the plane.
    The pilot was Wilmer Stultz the copilot, Louis Gordon.
    The team departed from Trepassey Harbor, Newfoundland, in a Fokker F.VIIb/3m on June 17, 1928, landing near Burry Port, South Wales, exactly 20 hours and 40 minutes later.

1928AmeliaEarhartSeaplaneMedalArtwork1.jpg When interviewed after landing, Earhart said,
    "Stultz did all the flying, had to. I was just baggage,
    like a sack of potatoes."
    She added, "maybe someday I'll try it alone."

1928AmeliaEarhartSeaplaneMedalArtwork.jpg

Still she became quite the celebrity, resembling Lindbergh and was nicknamed "Lady Lindy" and was the "Queen of the Air".
    She toured giving lectures, endorsed Lucky Strike cigarettes even started a fashion line of casual "active living" washable clothing. She used the A.E. logo on a line of luggage. She also wrote books.
    She married one of the most successful promoters in the United States during the 1930s, George P. Putnam. He had worked with Earhart in her ventures and she finally accepted his sixth marriage proposal.

In May of 1932 she did fly solo across the Atlantic in a Red Lockheed Vega 5B. On January 11, 1935, Earhart became the first aviator to fly solo from Honolulu, Hawaii to Oakland, California.

1928AmeliaEarhartSeaplaneMedalArtwork2b.jpg
    (shown is the actual plane on display at The Smithsonian.)
    In 1937 Amelia Earhart chose Captain Harry Manning as her navigator to Circle the Globe in the Lockheed Electra 10E.

1928AmeliaEarhartSeaplaneMedalArtwork3.jpg
    He had been the captain of the President Roosevelt, the ship that had brought Earhart back from Europe in 1928. Although the Electra was publicized as a "flying laboratory", little useful science was planned and the flight was arranged around Earhart's intention to circumnavigate the globe along with gathering raw material and public attention for her next book.

1928AmeliaEarhartSeaplaneMedalArtwork4.jpg

Earhart and Manning disappeared somewhere around Howland Island in the Pacific.
    It is located about or a little more than halfway between Australia and Hawaii. Earhart's flight was intended to be from Lae Airfield in Lae, Papua New Guinea to Howland Island, a trip of 2,556 miles.
    This leg was the longest of the planned flight, the length was close to the maximum range of the plane, and the destination was a small island in a large ocean. They were estimating to be only 100 miles from Howland Island when they were lost and communications were one way only from the aircraft.
    There are many theories, some bizarre, and some quite possible but none have proven the circumstances and whereabouts of the plane or Amelia Earhart's fate. She was declared legally dead on January 5, 1939.

15. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

1932 Amelia Earhart
    Gimbels Banquet Award
    Souvenir Medal

1932AmeliaEarhartGimbelBanquetAwardGallery.jpg

Legendary Amelia Earhart received "The Gimbel Medal" for her solo flight across The Atlantic, in October 1932.
    The aviator was celebrated with a medal and parade just months after her solo Atlantic crossing in 1932 in Philadelphia.
    She was considered "The Most Outstanding Woman Of 1932".

With that flight Earhart became the first woman (and the only person since Charles Lindbergh) to fly nonstop and solo across the Atlantic Ocean.
    On May 20, 1932 she took off from Harbor Grace, Newfoundland, Canada and landed 15 hours and 2,026 miles later in a field near Londonderry, Northern Ireland.
    The feat made Earhart an instant worldwide sensation and proved she was a courageous and able pilot.

Richard Gimbel of Gimbels family department store, left, presents the Gimbel medal to Amelia Earhart on September 24, 1932. Ellis Gimbel is at right.

1932AmeliaEarhartGimbelBanquetAwardArtwork.jpg

The front of the medal featured a bust of the aviator and the following text to commemorate her feat:
    “FIRST WOMAN IN THE WORLD TO FLY ALONE ACROSS THE ATLANTIC OCEAN MAY 21, 1932 AMELIA EARHART.”
    On the reverse side is a relief of Earhart's Lockheed 5B Vega flying over a map of the Atlantic Ocean and the coat-of-arms of the City of Philadelphia.
    The text reads:
    "AWARD OF THE CITY OF PHILADELPHIA PRESENTED BY MAYOR MOORE AT THE GIMBEL BANQUET SEPTEMBER 24, 1932."

Obviously Earharts medal in the accompanying image appears to be well over 3 inches in diameter where this one is only 1 inch, about the size of a US quarter.
    This is a great example issued by Augustus C. Frank, a Philadelphia medalist, for an October 5th, 1932 banquet hosted by the City Of Philadelphia & Gimbel Brothers Department Store to honor the solo transatlantic flight of Amelia Earhart.The City of Philadelphia held a banquet for Amelia Earhart in recognition of her 1932 solo, nonstop flight across the Atlantic Ocean.
    Attendees at the Banquet received these smaller medals. I do believe this is what we have here.

16. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

1966 Amelia Earhart
    SCFC 925 medal

1966AmeliaEarhartSCFC925medalGallery~0.jpg

Commissioned by the Societe Commemorative de Femmes Celebres. (SCFC)
    One of the least encountered in the set of 50 medals struck to honor famous women. I believe that 3,220 of these were minted in sterling silver.

On June 1 1937 Earhart set out to fly around the world, with Fred Noonan as navigator, in Lockheed Electra.
    Starting from Oakland, California to Miami Florida and then down to South America, crossing the Atlantic to Africa, then east to India and Southeast Asia.
    Over the following weeks they made various refueling stops before reaching Lae, New Guinea, on June 29.
    Earhart and Noonan had traveled some 22,000 miles.
    They had just 7,000 more miles to go before reaching Oakland California.

They departed New Guinea on July 2, headed for Howland Island, approximately 2,600 miles away. The flight was expected to be arduous, especially since the small island was difficult to locate. To help with navigation, two brightly lit U.S. ships were stationed to mark the route. Earhart was also in intermittent radio contact with the Itasca, a U.S. Coast Guard cutter near Howland.
    Nearing Howland, Earhart radioed that the plane was low on fuel. About an hour later she announced, “We are running north and south.”
    That was the last transmission received by the Itasca.
    The plane was believed to have gone down about 100 miles from the island, and an extensive and expensive search was undertaken to find Earhart and Noonan.
    On July 19, 1937, the search was called off. Some believe that she and Noonan crashed after failing to locate Howland, on or just offshore near a different island, perhaps Gardner Island. Others suspect they were captured by the Japanese. Some said she was a spy.
    Most experts believe that Earhart’s plane simply crashed in the Pacific near Howland after running out of fuel.
    I personally believe they had radio trouble and could not find Howland Island, ran out of fuel and crashed into the ocean and sank into the deep along with the plane.

That "Disappeared on solo round-world flight 1937" text on the reverse of this medal may not be correct since she did have another occupant, navigator Fred Noonan.
    From what I understand, flying "solo" is done without anyone else on board. I could be wrong. I would like to know.

My 1952 Topps Look 'n See
    Non Sports Card

1966AmeliaEarhartSCFC925medalArt.jpg

1974 Amelia Earhart
    National Commemorative Society
    also struck by the Franklin Mint

1974AmeliaEarhartGreatAmericansOBV.jpg

1974AmeliaEarhartGreatAmericansREV.jpg

Mintage 5,292
    .925 Sterling Silver

This is the 125th medal from a unique set of 150 medals, in that the subject for each medal was chosen by members of the National Commemorative Society and a medal for that subject was then designed and minted by the Franklin Mint.
    This concept was later used for individual issues, but none on the scale of this set. It is also one of the longest running sets in Franklin Mint history - medals were issued one per month for over 12 years. Partial sets are more common; complete sets are rare. Some are commonly available while others, such as this command a premium and are not seen but a few times a year for sale.

17. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

In the morning while my coffee is perking, I look out my window and I always see one of my arborvitaes trees and this medal keeps coming to mind.
    You know you're hooked pretty bad on this stuff when this happens.

IMG_4603.JPG

1972 American Revolution Bicentennial
    George Washington Medal

1972WashUSbronzemedalObv.jpg

1972WashUSbronzemedalRev.jpg

1972 American Revolution Bicentennial George Washington Medal.
    This 40 mm. Bronze Medal was issued in 1972 as part of the celebration of the American Bicentennial.

I was in my middle/late teens and very much aware of the Bicentennial approaching back in the early 70's.
    Everything was patriotic and Red White and Blue!
    Porches, mailboxes, fences, even rocks on lawns. Everything seemed to be painted R W & Blue right down to the fire hydrants on every street.

This has to be one of the earliest of many medals for the commemorative bicentennial theme back then.
    It is now 2022 and I have not heard a whimper about our upcoming 250th Birthday in 2026.
    I wish we had that same "Spirit of 76" again. Maybe we will.

The Obverse of the Medal depicts Bust of George Washington with text and American Revolution Bicentennial Administration logo, and the Lettering: AMERICAN REVOLUTION BICENTENNIAL GEORGE WASHINGTON 1972. The Reverse of the Medal depicts The Tree of Liberty with the Lettering: SONS OF LIBERTY.

18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1813 Canadian trade copper token . Thanks to DWhiz ;) 20220302_134040.jpg 20220302_134131.jpg

19. Paddy54

There are 3 of these medals offered in a contest no takers....thats a shame...

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/sons-of-liberty-liberty-tree-contest-for-y-n-members-only.393496/

TheNickelGuy likes this.
  20. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I posted the answer in your contest. Thanks.
    Doesn't that little tree look like the one on the back?
    Or maybe I need a rehab? I dunno.

Paddy54 likes this.
  21. Paddy54

Believe it or not thatscwhat caught my eye...way before the write up so yeppers.

TheNickelGuy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted