Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

1A356C23-783D-4312-92FD-1DE39798CF37.jpeg 7DFB5E44-DED6-4C0F-A002-EABBBC502A49.jpeg Two Scruples Apothecary Weight
    At first I thought it had damage, scratches, but another is on eBay in Australia with the same adjustment marks. 2.59 grams as it should be
    From LCS junk box
    Fred Sanford eat your heart out

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

A new purchase for myself

Madagascar 1665 01.jpg

France, Madagascar
    1665 Medal, UNC, Madagascar, Louis XIV, the colony of Madagascar

by Mauger
    Composition: Bronze
    Weight: 33.0g
    Diameter: 41.0mm

Divo.83.

Obverse: Head of Louis XIV on the right, below signature J. MAVGER. F
    Reverse: The Malagasy zebu; to the exergue: (date).

There is something really simple yet elegant about the reverse.

alurid, TheNickelGuy, MIGuy and 6 others like this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This was a secret Santa Gift.
    25mm
    4.3g
    Aluminum planchet
    Circa 1983
    Per Newman Numismatic Portal.
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/528986?page=376

All that I have to say is WOW! This guy has a very Rich history in the coin business. 58 years of service to the ANA. First elected to the ANA board of Governers in 71' for 6 years, Curator of the ANA Money Museum in Co Springs from77' to 83'.
    ANA President from 89 to 91.

I think I will have to take a drive one of these days to his coin Shop. Tom his son now runs the business.
    upload_2021-12-26_8-41-29.jpeg
    upload_2021-12-26_8-41-45.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  5. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

6. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I’d heard of Mel Wacks and seen some of his counterstamps but @ZoidMeister put these in my crosshairs. The limited numbers and the prices of the Camp David pieces made me jump in on his other pieces.

upload_2021-12-27_19-45-17.jpeg

upload_2021-12-27_19-45-47.jpeg

upload_2021-12-27_19-46-7.jpeg

upload_2021-12-27_19-46-45.jpeg

upload_2021-12-27_19-47-25.jpeg

7. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Just scored one of my "grail medals" over the weekend.

Z

Screenshot_20211227-074125_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20211227-074133_eBay.jpg

8. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Here is the only numismatic gift I received from a family member this year. My mom moved into our house recently and has been going to some coin shows with me/us. Apparently, at a show we were working at she was going behind me to dealers asking what I had looked at and hadn't purchased. It was a pleasant surprise.

Oddfellow03.jpg

I don't know much about it other than what is obvious. It is 45mm. The dealer marked it as "white metal" but it feels like aluminum to me.

alurid, TheNickelGuy, dwhiz and 5 others like this.
  9. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

20211221_122257.jpg 20211221_121328.jpg

On April 12, 1862 The locomotive known as The General was stolen by James Andrew and about two dozen Union soldiers from the 21st and 33rd Ohio Infantries. James Andrew was a civilian scout for the Union Army and was in charge of the raid. The objective was to take The General from Georgia to Tennessee, destroy as much Confederate property as possible along the way and then use The General and some railroad cars to aid General Ormsby M. Mitchel of the Union Army in capturing Chattanooga.

Andrews and his raiders boarded The General at Marietta Georgia posing as Confederate secret service agents on a special detail for General Beauregard of the Confederate Army who was defending Chattanooga. The General then stopped at Big Shanty Georgia for breakfast. Andrews and his raiders then uncoupled most of the passenger cars and stole the train. The "Great Locomotive Chase" was on.

Conductor William Allen Fuller, who had been inside eating, chased The General on foot along with the engineer and station superintendent. Then they grabbed a hand car. Now that Andrews was on the run he didn't have much time to destroy Confederate property. He barely had time to cut telegraph lines that were ahead of him. He wanted to stop and destroy the Confederate locomotive Yonah but didn't think he had time with Conductor Fuller chasing.

Conductor Fuller did have the time to stop. He switched out of the hand car and into the Yonah and continued the chase. Then Andrews had to pull off on a siding and allow a south bound train to pass only to see a red flag at it's end. A red flag denoted that another train was coming.

The problem was General Beauregard found out about the Union's plan to march on Chattanooga and was shipping equipment south. There were more red flags keeping The General on the siding.

But Conductor Fuller was also delayed by traffic. And he switched out of the Yonah and into the locomotive Texas. And the chase continued. Somewhere in all this Conductor Fuller got a telegraph message off to Chattanooga before the line was cut.

Now the "A-Team" had Confederate forces coming at them from Chattanooga and Conductor Fuller coming up from behind. But not for long. Next they ran out of firewood and water. So, "Plan B" was to scatter into the woods of Georgia and try to get back to Ohio.

From the beginning, not much of Andrews' plan "came together." Oh yeah, and then they
    hanged him for being a spy.

Some of Andrews' raiders did make it back to Ohio, some escaped while in prison, some were traded for Confederate prisoners and a few joined Andrews and were hanged as spies.

Technically, they all became spies when they boarded The General under the pretense of being Confederate secret service agents. Those who were not hanged were most fortunate.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    alurid, TheNickelGuy, dwhiz and 6 others like this.
  10. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

The Presidents of Mount Rushmore
    a fun subset to assemble.
    .999 Silver and Bronze Medallic Art Presidential Medals

mr.jpg

alurid, Paddy54, dwhiz and 7 others like this.
  11. ZoidMeister

I haven't seen one of these posted here yet. It arrived at work during my covid absence, so no photos from me just yet.

These will have to suffice for now.

Z

Screenshot_20220101-132104_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220101-132051_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220101-132154_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220101-132133_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220101-132143_eBay.jpg

12. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

13. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Star and No Star 1904 St Louis Exposition Medals

There are numerous minor variations in this type exposition medal.
    Some have different rays, some have more on left or right of the river, some have more detailed mountain range detail, but these are the two major differences to look for. The no star would be far more scarce and a good cherry pick.
    These are found in yellow brass or yellow bronze, bronze, gilt bronze and silver.

1904 Louisiana Purchase Souvenir
    So-Called Dollar HK-302 with star ( on reverse where St. Louis would be on the continental US )

1904LouisianaPurchaseSouvenirHK302OBV.jpg

1904LouisianaPurchaseSouvenirHK302REV.jpg

1904 Louisiana Purchase Souvenir
    So-Called Dollar HK-303 no star ( on reverse where St. Louis would be on the continental US )

1904LouisianaPurchaseExpositionSouvenirHK303NoStarNo3OBV.JPG

1904LouisianaPurchaseExpositionSouvenirHK303NoStarNo3REV.JPG

14. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Let's do another.

1915 and scarce 1916
    Panama California Exposition San Diego So-Called Dollars

1915o1.jpg

1915r1.jpg

The Panama-California Exposition was held in San Diego, California during 1915 and 1916 to celebrate the opening of the Panama Canal. Although not as well-known as the Panama-Pacific Exposition held in San Francisco during 1915, the Panama-California Exposition was well attended. Official medals were produced for the exposition and struck at the United States Mint exhibit on the fair grounds. These official medals were designed by C.K. Berryman, then a cartoonist for the Washington Star, and were engraved by Charles Barber.
    The medals feature the very popular obverse design of Uncle Sam with his shovel lying across the Panama Canal. The reverse design of the first ship to pass through the Panama Canal, the S.S. Ancon.
    The 1916 dated medals from the Pan-CA Expo are considerably more rare than the 1915 dated examples.

There appears to be 6 variations known, all are 34mm.

1916PanamaPacUncleSamSocalledDollarOBVbetterDUPLICATE.jpg

1916PanamaPacUncleSamSocalledDollarREVbetterDUPLICATE.jpg

15. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I'm in a posting kind of mood today.

An interesting lot around this
    1935 San Diego Exposition V8 Ford Medal

Rene P. Chambellan sculpted this medal or token which is 28.5 mm diameter and was struck in nickel.
    His sculptures would eventually grace more than 30 buildings and he completed over 30 medals for the Medallic Art Company. During this time he also designed and sculpted the Newbury and Caldecott medals for which he is best known today.
    I have seen a gazillion Ford tokens or medals in my Exposition searches over the past couple years for various years.
    Be careful, some have been reproduced.

1935SanDiegoExpositionV8FordMedalOBV.jpg

1935SanDiegoExpositionV8FordMedalREV.jpg

At this exposition at the FORD exhibit, you could win this car.

1935SanDiegoExpositionWinaFordTicketArtwork.jpg

I was truly amazed to find and buy this complete ticket to win but apparently, it was unused and not the winner.
    I collect ephemera for pre World War II World Fairs and Expositions. That is another collection but I'll show this ticket and postcard.

1935SanDiegoExpositionWinaFordTicketGallery.jpg

1935SanDiegoExpositionV8FordArtwork.jpg

longnine009, alurid, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  16. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

These are very nicely done medals. I have an FDR one. But Ron Pope mr. Buffalo nickel himself, was working on a set of these medals. He scout them on the bay, I do recall one of our conversations that he was not far off from completing the set.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  17. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

WORLD'S COLUMBIAN EXPOSITION
    1892-1893 CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    BIRD'S-EYE VIEW DOLLAR

1893ColumbianExpositionBirdsEyeViewHK166OBV.jpg

1893ColumbianExpositionBirdsEyeViewHK166REV.jpg

Although there are other "Birdseye View" so called dollars for The Columbian Exposition, the view on this medal is obviously not a "birdseye view" despite the use of that term in its legend.

The only other ones I have seen so far that sold were aluminum.
    This one too, is HK-166 Aluminum
    There are two metal compositions known for this medal.
    HK-165 White Metal. 40mm. Eglit 21(WM) Quite elusive!
    HK-166 Aluminum. Eglit 21. More Common

18. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

1893 Columbian Exposition - Administration Building - Ferris Wheel
    So-called Dollar HK170

1893ColumbianExpoFerrisWheelOBV.jpg

1893ColumbianExpoFerrisWheelREV.jpg

The world's first Ferris Wheel was erected at the center of the Midway. Built on speculation by George W. Ferris, a bridge builder from Pittsburgh, the ride was the fair's most prominent engineering marvel. The wheel rose to 264 feet, surpassing the Eiffel Tower, and offering breathtaking views of the fair and the city.

I actually remember learning about the Ferris Wheel and inventor George W. Ferris in grade school. Almost all wheels at amusement parks and carnivals are referred to as "Ferris Wheels" but this was the one they get their name from.
    It must have been amazing.
    There were 36 cars, each fitted with 40 revolving chairs and able to accommodate up to 60 people, giving a total capacity of 2,160. The wheel carried some 38,000 passengers daily and took 20 minutes to complete two revolutions, the first involving six stops to allow passengers to exit and enter and the second a nine-minute non-stop rotation, for which the ticket holder paid 50 cents.

1893ColumbianExpoFerrisWheelArtwork.jpg

19. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

1893 Declaration Of Independence Dollar BRONZE

1893DeclarationOfIndependenceBronzeDollarOBV.jpg

1893DeclarationOfIndependenceBronzeDollarREV.jpg

I have not found a large size BRONZE variety of this medal until I bought this one. It remains a mystery to me at this time.

Eglit-36 and Eglit-36A. Nathan Eglit recorded two sizes for this design and assigned number 36 to the small size (37 mm.) medal that was produced in white metal with a "milled edge" and assigned number 36A to the large size (58 mm.) medal that was struck in white metal and aluminum by Maier Weinschenk and William Boldenweck. So-Called Dollars by Hibler and Kappen mention Rudolph Laubenheimer of New York City was identified as a possible designer.

There was a unique GOLD medal presented to President Grover Cleveland.
    On May 1, 1893, Maier Weinschenk and William Boldenweck delivered an address to President Grover Cleveland, presenting the historical world's fair medal in gold at the dedication of the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago.

Large size medals have the edge inscribed "Boldenweck & Co. Pat'd Oct. 7, 1890.

1893 Declaration Of Independence Dollar WHITE METAL

1893DeclarationOfIndependenceDollarOBV.jpg

1893DeclarationOfIndependenceDollarREV.jpg

1893 Discovery of America White Metal Larger Variety Medal
    also more appropriately called 1893 Declaration Of Independence Dollar, since Hibler and Kappen have another completely different design so-called dollar HK-158 that is titled DISCOVERY OF AMERICA DOLLAR.

There is a silver medal so-called dollar HK-156 that is 40 mm with a reeded edge, and there is also an even smaller white metal so-called dollar HK-157 that is 36 mm.

I have found an almost 59 mm medal that is larger than the HK-156 and HK-157 but it does not have a Hibler and Kappen number that I know of.
    One of these was struck in 23 kt gold and is also cataloged as Eglit 36A

From patent 20,196:
    "The drawing represents a front view of the design. The upper portion consists of a pictorial representation of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Immediately below this picture is a scroll extending across the face of the medal. Occupying the lower central portion of the design and partly overlapping the scroll and picture described above is an eagle surmounting a shield, and at each side of the shield and eagle is a portrait, as shown."

From patent 20,195:

"The drawing represents a front view of the design and illustrates two cardinal events in the history of America. The upper portion of the drawing represents the first cardinal event, the discovery of America by Columbus.
    The lower portion of the drawing represents the second cardinal event, the landing of the Pilgrims at Plymouth."

1893 Declaration Of Independence Dollar WHITE METAL No. 2

This one has me stumped at the moment. I think it is white metal but nickel or silver plated.

1893DeclarationOfIndependencePewterDollarOBV.jpg

1893DeclarationOfIndependencePewterDollarREV.jpg

Oh I might as well sneak in some ticket ephemera I've collected so we can go to the 1893 Columbian Exposition.

1893ColumbianExpoTicketCollage~0.jpg

20. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

21. ZoidMeister

Draft saved Draft deleted