Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. YankeeDime

YankeeDime non-conformant

- .... .- - .----. ... / .--. .-. . - - -.-- / -.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / .-.. --- .-..

ZoidMeister and Heavymetal like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

66522717-AAF7-417E-91B3-7FC8510BEE7C.jpeg
    My parents were both Hams
    Him AC2I Extra/radar
    Her KB2DP
    And 3 of my brothers
    Me: a lowly Tech
    People traveled long distances to sit for exams from my father. Silent Key 2015

4. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I like your tokens, Heavymetal. Do you mind if I "borrow" your pictures so I can show them to a few collectors who might be able to ID them?

Bruce

5. Heavymetal

You are always welcome to repost my photos. Thank you for any help. Larry

6. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

Yes it is a security telephone token. From the Yale slot & slug co. Introduced in 1910 in use to 1944. Geotz patented them phone coin slots were modified to fit the token. The assorted designs were sold so they would only work in the stores that sold them and no where else. Primarily used in the Chicago area.

The K&E one could be a counter used to track firewood, coal or other commodity. Commonly called a pickers token

7. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

In celebration of Denmark's Queen Margrethe II's 40 year jubilee in 2012, this flowery one caught my eye. IMG_4539 (2).JPG IMG_4541 (2).JPG

8. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Looks like Circus figured it out, Heavymetal. I'll check on the K & E but that's going to be more difficult.

Bruce

Heavymetal likes this.
  9. Heavymetal

Today at the LCS junk box
    Hoffman & Hoffman Fort Lauderdale FL
    Now known as Hoffman Mint
    Baseball Cage Token?
    Baseball Player obv
    Eagle rev
    I’ve found both designs but not together
    No Cash Value Brass 28.2 mm
    As found , may get a bath tonight
    Or a locker room shower 6283D130-C725-43B1-9022-7CD7F6163272.jpeg 4A3F37EE-898B-4436-AB9C-6BA7B6232E2D.jpeg

10. Circus

Yes you are correct it is a baseball cage token generic type the reason there is no amount on them is they can adjust the coin op mech to accept more than one token. With out fighting with the customers over value.

11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Franklin Mint 1968 automobile tokens. DSCN3376~2.JPG DSCN3377~2.JPG

13. Circus

Also one of two prize sets in Sunoco/DX gas giveaway
    [​IMG]
    The sheet they gave out to fill in with the aluminum tokens they gave out with purchase
    [​IMG]
    Cover envelope for series one
    [​IMG]
    cover envelope for series2
    [​IMG]
    series 2

14. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

15. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Cool little Conder token, I got with the ferris wheel token. I love a coin/token with a lettered edge as this token has. And who doesn't like a lion and a castle?
    Conder Token
    1792 Half penny
    Norfolk-Norwich/Bolingbroke's
    29mm, Cu, DH#14-16 or possibly another. I don't own a Conder catalogue so this is internet info. Thanks Numista!
    Polish_20211218_224506789.jpg Polish_20211218_224435292.jpg

16. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

1989 New Zealand - 15 Great All blacks 20211208_122426.jpg

15 Great allblacks.jpg

17. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I have quite the collection of exonumia. I actually find collecting medals, so called-dollars and tokens more exciting and educational than coin collecting but am probably equally involved.

Here is an interesting niche. Wrong reverse, mismatched dies or mules. I dunno but it happens. I think if we look closely there are some to be discovered and cherry picked.

A few of those I have

1972 Longines Symphonette Wild Bill Hickok .925 medal CORRECT
    This medal has the correct reverse, that of the "Wild Bill Hickok".
    1972LonginesHickokCorrectGallery.jpg

1972 Longines Symphonette Wild Bill Hickok .925 medal ERROR
    This medal has the wrong reverse, that of the "Wounded Knee" medal from the same series. At this time, I do not know just how many correct and error versions were minted.
    1972LonginesHickokErrorGallery.jpg

1972 Longines Symphonette Wounded Knee
    To complete this three medal set.

1972LonginesWoundedKneeGallery.jpg

--------------------------

Great American Triumphs ~ Washington's Farewell to His Officers

CORRECT and ERROR reverse!
    1972WashingtonsFarewellCorrectAndError.jpg
    I have found that about 1 out of every 10 of these medals have a date on the reverse that is in error and reads December 4, 1778 instead of December 4, 1783.
    About 5000 of each medal in this set was minted. Many were melted in the silver boom of the late 70's. I would estimate there are well less than 500 of these errors in existence.
    They can be found at the same prices as the correct ones.
    There may be other errors out there on other medals. This is a bit of a sleeper since little attention is paid to this medal in the 60 medal set. It is certainly not one of the most popular themes.
    I think it would take quite a bit of time to research and check them all out.

1971 Annie Oakley NRA Medal from the "Nation of Riflemen" set.
    1971 Annie Oakley NRA correct

1971AnnieOakleyNRAtriplicateNo3Gallery.jpg
    I had found the error reverse first. This medal took me over a year to track down.
    It is the correct version. Of course the error is probably quite scarce or rare, I just got lucky when it showed up that way.
    I bought the Punt Gun medal to make this mini three medal set

1971 Annie Oakley NRA error

1971AnnieOakleyNRAerrorGallery.jpg

I collect medals with an Annie Oakley theme and some other non related collectibles about her.
    I was quite excited to find this one in decent condition as many have awful rub marks on the frosted areas of the medal and are also seldom offered for sale individually. This is a pretty good example.

To my surprise, it had the wrong text on the reverse when it arrived. That of the medal titled "Punt Gun".

1971PuntGunNRAGallery.jpg

And then there are just plain dumb mistakes

1971 Milwaukee Wisconsin
    The United States Conference of Mayors

Sterling Silver Medal - Mintage 2109
    1971MilwaukeeMayorGallery.jpg

18. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

So very interesting - thanks for the info and scans

19. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Well-Known Member

My 1st Civil War token:)
    Civil War token R. S. Torrey Inventor Of The Maine State Bee Hive 1864 Bangor ME Union.

20211221_182533.jpg 20211221_182513.jpg

20. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I have a few Egyptian medals

Egyptian Magic Coins have been around since at least 1905, when a listing for one appeared
    in the 1905 Sears & Roebuck mail-order catalog as part of a watch fob.

The 1922 discovery of the tomb of the Pharaoh Tutankhamen or "King Tut"
    created another wave of "Egyptian Revival" items, including more of these coins.

Some were sold by traveling carnivals and circuses as good luck coins.
    Some were handed out by stage magicians, hence the description "Magic Coins".
    Some were sold at the Chicago Century of Progress World's Fair of 1933-1934, and at other large events.
    Some tourists in Egypt have reported seeing these items for sale in the bazaars.

1920 - 1930's Egyptian Magic Coin

1947ishEgyptianMagicCoingallery.jpg

Details: ( taken in part directly from BrianRxm Website with permission )

The creator and designer of these items or the base watch fob is unknown.
    Searches for trademark or patent registrations have turned up nothing.

They would fall into the category of "good luck coins", "magic coins" or "magician's coins".

The standard size is 32mm and they are usually made of brass or bronze.
    There are three main types of these items and several varieties.
    There are some varieties which incorporate a standard obverse or reverse with the other side
    having a completely different design.

Some have traces of white plating or paint.
    Some are plain round coins, some have loops for wearing them as jewelry or amulets.
    Sometimes loops have been removed to create a "coin".
    Many are found very worn and possibly they were kept as pocket pieces.

1920 1930 era Egypt Nefertiti - Tutankhamen mask medal

EgyptNefertitiTutankhamunmaskMedalGallery.jpg

On one side of this 1 1/2 inch medal or charm is
    Neferneferuaten Nefertiti c. 1370 – c. 1330 BC was an Egyptian queen and the Great Royal Wife of Akhenaten, an Egyptian Pharaoh. Nefertiti and her husband were known for a religious revolution, in which they worshiped one god only, Aten, or the sun disc. With her husband, she reigned at what was arguably the wealthiest period of Ancient Egyptian history. Some scholars believe that Nefertiti ruled briefly as Neferneferuaten after her husband's death and before the accession of Tutankhamun. She was made famous by her bust, now in Berlin's Neues Museum, shown to the right. The bust is one of the most copied works of ancient Egypt. It was attributed to the sculptor Thutmose, thought to have been the official court sculptor of the Egyptian Pharaoh Akhenaten. It was found in his workshop.

On the other side, it appears that this is perhaps King Tut. I assume that since his famous mask surely resembles the design.
    Tutankhamun's mask, or funerary mask of Tutankhamun, is the death mask of the 18th-dynasty ancient Egyptian Pharaoh Tutankhamun (reigned 1332–1323 BC). It was discovered by Howard Carter in 1925 in tomb KV62 and is now housed in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. The mask is one of the most well known works of art in the world.
    Tutankhamun's burial chamber was found at the Theban Necropolis in the Valley of the Kings in 1922 and opened in 1923. It would be another two years before the excavation team, led by the English archaeologist Howard Carter, was able to open the heavy sarcophagus containing Tutankhamun's mummy. On 28 October 1925, they opened the innermost of three coffins to reveal the gold mask, seen by people for the first time in approximately 3,250 years.

1920s Egypt Sphinx Camel Medal

1920sEgyptSphinxCamelMedalGallery.jpg

This medal looks to be from the late 1920's or 30's from the patina and one of the many trinkets made during the King Tut craze of that era.

I do believe they were popular around the time of the discovery of The King Tutankhamun tomb in 1922 at the "Valley of The Kings" in Egypt and I would date this to be from the mid to late 1920's.
    I have seen a handful of various similar medals with different designs and some that share a common obverse with a different reverse. Those have "EGYPT" like this one does showing somewhere on one side.

1948 Egyptian Magic Coin
    The Romance of Helen Trent
    radio program

1948EgyptianMagicCoinHelenTrentRadioProgramMedalGallery.jpg

This medallion was manufactured in 1948 and 1949 as a promotion for the radio program
    "The Romance of Helen Trent" which ran from 1933 to 1960.
    In 1948 one of the sponsors, Kolynos toothpaste and tooth powder, produced an Egyptian styled medallion which was sold or given to the program's listeners.
    "The Romance of Helen Trent" was an American radio program or "radio soap opera" which ran
    weekdays from 1933 to 1960.

Here's a couple unrelated Egyptian themed medals.

1985 Cleopatra Krewe Coronation Ball Mardi Gras Doubloon

1985CleopatraCoronationMardiGrasDubloonGallery.jpg

There are many organizations involved in the Mardi Gras parades and they are called Krewes.
    This Krewe having the name Cleopatra, which was founded in 1972 and is still active. It is an all female Krewe.
    Each Krewe have their own theme and "throws" they toss to the people on the sidewalks as they parade a certain route in the City of New Orleans. The Krewes are scheduled to parade yearly on a certain date.
    A Throw can be beads and/or Doubloons and sometimes other trinkets. The common doubloons are generally silver colored aluminum but there are different colored aluminum anodized medals too with a new design each year.
    There are special ones minted for members of the Krewes or and special associates. Some in heavier medals, bronze, nickel or sometimes silver. These are much more scarce than a common aluminum "throw" but can be of the same design for that year.
    This one is a special doubloon for the Cleopatra Coronation Ball. A celebration separate from the parade.

1960's Goddess Selket - King Tut Mardi Gras Gilt Doubloon

1960sSelketDoubloonGallery.jpg

Selket is probably more often known as Serket, but is also known as Selqet, Selcis or Serqet.
    For relating to this medal, she will be Selket, the goddess of fertility, nature, animals, medicine, magic, and healing venomous stings and bites in Egyptian mythology from scorpians and snakes.
    She was depicted in the form of a woman with a scorpian on her head and referred to as "She who gives breath" because of the way waterscorpions seem to breathe underwater.
    In a strong association with the scorpion, which is famous to protect its young, also Selket symbolizes the strong protection of motherhood and nurturing of children.
    Selket also was considered a protector of the dead, and protected the shrine for the canopic vases at the Tomb of King Tut.
    I believe this is the mask of King Tutankhamun on the opposite side of the medal.

1972 Cleopatra SCFC silver medal

1972CleopatraSCFCsilverGallery.jpg

2017 5 oz .999 Egyptian Nefertiti Scottsdale Silver Round

2017Nefertiti5ozOBV2.jpg

21. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Looks like I missed a couple others I have

1973 Queen Nefertiti 100 Greatest Masterpieces Medal

1973QueenNefertitiMedalGallery.jpg
    Nefertiti was an Egyptian queen and the Great Royal Wife of Akhenaten, an Egyptian Pharaoh. Nefertiti and her husband were known for a religious revolution, in which they worshiped one god only, Aten, or the sun disc.
    With her husband, King Akhenaten, she reigned at what was arguably the wealthiest period of Ancient Egyptian history.
    She is most likely the step mother of King Tut, as her husband King Akhenaten had an affair with his own sister who became pregnant and gave birth to King Tut.
    This was normal among royalty to keep the bloodline in the family.
    In c.1348 BC Ankhesenamun was born to Akhenaten and Nerfertiti, making her Tut's half-sister. At the age of ten Tut married her. He died at the age of 19.
    King Tutankhamun was a hobbled, weak teenager with a cleft palate and club foot. And he probably has his parents to blame as a result of incest.

This medal shows the famous Thutmose, Bust of Nefertiti.

1977 SHAWABTY

1977shawabtyGallery.jpg
    One of 36 in the Franklin Mint Egyptian Golden Treasures Medals 1 oz .925 45 mm and 24 gold plating highlight on subject.
    An ancient Egyptian shawabty is a funerary figurine that was intended to magically animate in the Afterlife in order to act as a proxy for the deceased when called upon to tend to field labor or other tasks.

The ushabti (also called shabti or shawabti), with a number of variant spellings were funerary figurines used in Ancient Egypt. Ushabtis were placed in tombs among the grave goods and were intended to act as servants or minions for the deceased, should they be called upon to do manual labor in the afterlife.
    The figurines frequently carried a hoe on their shoulder and a basket on their backs, implying they were intended to farm for the deceased.
    They were usually written on by the use of hieroglyphs typically found on the legs. Called “answerers,” they carried inscriptions asserting their readiness to answer the gods' summons to work.
    The practice of using ushabtis originated in the Old Kingdom (c. 2600 to 2100 BCE) with the use of life-sized reserve heads made from limestone, which were buried with the mummy.
    Most ushabtis were of minor size, and many produced in multiples – they sometimes covered the floor around a sarcophagus. Exceptional ushabtis are of larger size, or produced as a one-of-a-kind master work.
    Due to the ushabti's commonness through all Egyptian time periods, and world museums' desire to represent ancient Egyptian art objects, the ushabti is one of the most commonly represented objects in Egyptology displays. Produced in huge numbers, ushabtis, along with scarabs, are the most numerous of all ancient Egyptian antiquities to survive.

1977shawabtyArtwork.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted