Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I think that you have the setting under your account profile to disallow any messages. The one you received is from a site moderator who can message around that block for forum business, such as moving a thread or to issue a warning.

Regarding the Knights Templar medal.

What are the diagnostics on determining whether it is a reproduction? Knockoffs usually don't exactly mimic the design of the original piece. From what I can see, this one matches all the more worn examples that I have seen. It came from a seller that does a good amount of business in exonumia. His reputation and sales record is solid, but not perfect of course.

I got it for significantly less than his original asking price. I paid $60, which now has me concerned.

I felt confident in this one because of the little "hole template" etched into the obverse die. I'm thinking that little detail wouldn't be included in a reproduction die. There aren't a lot of these in this condition, which even if a reproduction, it must have been made by the Mint because they are still in posession of the original dies.

Because of the real lack of information on this one available in the Google-verse, I'm thinking the seller really didn't know much about this medal. The same is true of the buyer when he bought it.

Z

Eric the Red likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I would not be concerned at all. I was referring in general to pieces that bring 1-4K, that had very limited production and are significant for a specific individual that is the a sort of pillar of the organization. I mentioned an example-Palmer. I did not mean to alarm you. A nice piece is a nice piece, and after all, the mint produced it.

I don't see anything that raises flags, and the opposite is true, which is why I was impressed.
    At $60.00 that was pretty decent.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Vietnam token: 6/15 ARTY: 5c, brass, M/A, 4.4 grams, 21mm, Cunningham VN2520
    same both sides

The 6th Battalion 15th Field Artillery Regiment, call sign "Deadly," was camped mostly at Lai Khe. They were the Artillery for 1st Infantry Division. They were a 105mm Howitzer towed artillery battalion. Towed artillery, I think, being those pieces with short barrels. At least that's what it sounds like. Still, seems like those long barrel Howitzers would also be towed by something. I'm still sorting this out. Towed artillery may simply be artillery that's not self-propelled?

6/15 was in nine major campaigns in Vietnam. During the Tet campaign they were assigned to the defense of Saigon where they successfully conducted counter battery operations against enemy mortar positions.

20210714_002319~2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  5. ZoidMeister

6. ZoidMeister

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

The display items for my Stellas arrived today. The capsules and frame. Stella 7 9 21.jpg

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's a Ben Franklin Bank Token, likely from the late 1800's, got it in today's mail! The Remember the Maine Token is a George Soley late 1800's, as well. :D

11263434a.jpg 11263434b.jpg 11261206a.jpg 11261206e.jpg 28615500a.jpg 28615500b.jpg 28614350a.jpg 28614350b.jpg 31216356a.jpg 31216356b.jpg

svessien, Eric the Red, MIGuy and 5 others like this.
  9. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I found this in a lot of mostly arcade type tokens today.
    Looked it up on Numista. Is a Goetz 10 US Telephone token 1907 -1944 Chicago. There is a listing for a B that is the same (except mine has an A) and a C that is very similar except the shaft of the arrow goes through the C instead of a gap like the B (and mine). The A is not listed on numista (that I could find). DSCN3015~2.JPG DSCN3014~2.JPG
    21 mm so size of a US nickel.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  10. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I wanted one of these - and I finally found one with some wear that I could afford, it's a 2.7 ounce 56mm round (2.25 inch) 1897 Queen Victoria Jubilee medal in sterling silver. From what I've read, about 3000 were awarded to the Royal Court in sterling silver and about 70 gold medals like this were awarded to the Royal Family. (I have alternatively read that about 27,500 of the large silver medals were produced for public sale for 10 shillings each, that seems likely given that you can find them and they don't cost an arm and a leg) Anyway, I just think they're neat. The one at the Met is MUCH nicer - https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/188350 (sellers photos) victoriajubilee2.jpg victoriajubilee1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  11. dwhiz

I hate it when I see stuff like this, I can't resist:D
    Sellers image
    Orrville, Ohio 1964 Centennial Coin Club OH Medal Token Coin Locomotive Train 3.jpg

12. ZoidMeister

13. ZoidMeister

I happened across this unsigned hobo nickel.

It's got just enough classic styling to make me question whether it is by a vintage carver or not.

Z

20210807_032407.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Eric the Red and longnine009 like this.
  14. dwhiz

@ZoidMeister,
    That appears to be vintage

15. ZoidMeister

16. ZoidMeister

Whiz,

I have a new medal coming in that I've never seen before. It has a woman ("The Queen" from her crown) in a negligee, a ship, and a train on it. What more could you ask?

She's got her bags packed and looks like she's trying to decide which one to take. She's even taking the "honey do list" (hammer & anvil) with her. She's passive-aggressively waving "good bye" with a winged hand on "the stick."

Looks like bachelor days ahead.

Z

20210810_055700.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    longnine009, Eric the Red and dwhiz like this.
  17. dwhiz

@ZoidMeister
    If she gets on the ship I hope she doesn't drop the anvil.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  18. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Well-Known Member

Found this looking through a pile of my world coins today.

Coronation Medal of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra1901

Emil Fuchs

20210811_180557.jpg 20210811_180609.jpg 20210811_180617.jpg

DonnaML, MIGuy, longnine009 and 3 others like this.
  19. ZoidMeister

20. ZoidMeister

21. ZoidMeister

Draft saved Draft deleted