Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

A recent arrival. I tried to take photos myself, but have not mastered the art of photographing coins / tokens in slabs, so here are the sellers photos . . . . . .

Z

1879 Grant Parade Mint Employees Medal, Gold, DeWitt-USG-1880-2, Julian CM-18, Rulau-Pa-Ph-390A.

A parade for former Civil War General and U.S. President Grant was held in Philadelphia on December 16, 1879. To commemorate the event, the U.S. Mint struck a large quantity of medals in brass, and distributed the medals to the public. White metal examples were also struck, and Julian (1977) states one example was made in silver, unaccounted for today. In gold alloy, CM-18 is extremely rare, and just two are known (per Rulau). The present well-struck and handsome yellow-gold piece has flashy fields and provides excellent eye appeal.

Screenshot_20210310-074351_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210310-074343_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210310-074356_eBay.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ZoidMeister

4. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

20210315_214210~2.jpg 20210315_214031~3.jpg Not sure if I posted this, I don't think I have but anyway this is one of my favorite transportation tokens I own. Uncirculated with minor spots.

5. Blasty

Blasty Gold Member

This is interesting because it crosses two hobbies of mine, audio/music and coins.

It is a token used in a "phonograph salon". I found a blurb about this online, though the original source website seems to be gone.

"Another money-spinner for the Pathé Frères company was the Salon du Phonographe in the Boulevard des Italiens. In this plush, up-market set-up, one could sample any of the current audio delights - for a fee of course! Rows of comfy easy chairs faced polished wood cabinets each fitted with hearing tubes, a dialling device and coin slot. A coin was inserted, the desired choice dialled and within ten seconds the tune was heard. The first juke-box? Not exactly, for underneath this opulent room was a cellar stacked with cylinders and dozens of fleet footed staff to locate and play the required tunes!"

I'm not sure the date or value of this token, but it would have to be 1905 or later based on the depiction of a disc record, which Pathe did not manufacture prior to 1905.

I found this among a family coin accumulation that was passed down to me. Unfortunately, there's quite a bit of crud around the devices. I'm hesitant to do anything (ie: acetone soak) as I don't know what the metal under the crud looks like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Lubin Jones Confectionery & Ice Cream
    Malad, Idaho, toned brass, 5.1 grams, 21mm rotated 90 degrees

Malad, Idaho got it's name from the Malade River. The Malade River got it's name from a group of French Canadian trappers who passed through the area between 1818--1821. They assumed the river water made them sick and so named the river Malade which meant sick in French.

Ten years later a second group of trappers went through the area. They determined that the first group got sick because they dined on the river's beaver who liked to dine on the roots of water hemlock trees in the river. The beavers were immune to the poison but it left deposits in the beavers flesh.
    Source Wikipedia

20210317_161059_Burst01~2.jpg 20210317_161215~2.jpg

alurid, fretboard, kkm and 5 others like this.
  7. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

A masonic medal, 1961.
    Commemorates the 100th anniversary of the MW Grand Lodge, Colorado tempImageuPY6Ke.png
    tempImageZQoKrf.png

alurid, fretboard, BJBII and 5 others like this.
  8. ZoidMeister

Nut,

A bit late in my reply, bu I would bet a dollar to a donut that is a Ron Landis token. I'm guessing that you are correct about it being a wedding token as well.

Any chance of getting a photo or two of the edge?

Z

9. $ignofthedollar

$ignofthedollar Well-Known Member

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

ZoidMeister likes this.
  11. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

C3F7F0FB-67DE-420E-B9DE-37DFED066038.jpeg 98BAB7E9-BED7-4CBC-9584-2AD3A8AFE295.jpeg F6755506-2FE7-4646-8D1B-E73C4B4721E0.jpeg From gay Paree. Circa 1900

12. $ignofthedollar

I remember. I haven't seen her on any of the forums lately.

13. ZoidMeister

I was pretty happy to secure this one for a good price.

Hopefully the Post Office will get it to me without issues.

Z

20210325_105319.jpg 20210325_105459.jpg

alurid, fretboard, Nas and 2 others like this.
  14. $ignofthedollar

15. $ignofthedollar

16. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

First the Dublin Trinity Tavern token. Yes, the Trinity Tavern exists today and in it's ninth location. The "Dragon" is pure silver. My feeling on this is that it was an early project for one of the now defunct local mints. I really enjoy having it this past decade or so.

Always some items that you can't just "unsee" and must have. Please, call me crazy.

Attached Files:

longnine009 and $ignofthedollar like this.
  17. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Nice. I have a Harra's and Circus Circus.

18. $ignofthedollar

19. ZoidMeister

Another "recent arrival", when the Post Office isn't losing my shipments . . . . . .

Z

(HK-174) World's Columbian Exposition / World Globe Dollar

IMG_1812.JPG IMG_1814.JPG

alurid, fretboard, BJBII and 3 others like this.
  20. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

ZoidMeister and $ignofthedollar like this.
  21. ZoidMeister

Draft saved Draft deleted