Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

William and Henry Lightsey grew up working in their father's general store in Crocketville, South Carolina--a town named after a school teacher rather than Davy. Eventually, Henry took over his father's lumber business while William took care of all things mercantile, even adding stores in nearby towns.

In 1910 William and Henry formed the Lightsey Brothers partnership. Together they built a sawmill in nearby Miley capable of cutting 25,000 linear feet of lumber a day. Again William ran the sawmill's commissary in addition to helping Henry with the lumber business. When Henry died in 1932, William continued the business until he died, in 1940, from heat exhaustion fighting a fire in the lumber mill. Source: Tony Chibbaro Numismatics of South Carolina Merchant Trade Tokens

20200903_012041~3.jpg 20200903_011314_HDR~4.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

4. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I love the Bourse token / medal, fretboard. I used to work right next door and walked through the building many times. They had an excellent buffet on the first floor that I ate lunch at here and there.

The old building has beautiful old architecture that's been well cared for over the years.

Bruce

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah over the years I've picked up many of those 13mm Soley medalets, I didn't know you're from that area! You probably run into all kinds of goodies, nice historical State to live in for sure! :D

6. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

The Bank of Powers Hamburgers only exists in Ft. Wayne, Indiana since 1940. That's what the internet says anyways. Is Detroit in reference to something other than the bank location?

7. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

OMG! :wideyed: :nailbiting:

That's one of the "imitatations" . . . . . ;) :rolleyes:

Z

PlanoSteve, longnine009 and gronnh20 like this.
  8. BRandM

During a short walk at lunchtime I could walk past Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Ben Franklin's grave, Carpenter's Hall and others and still have time to eat lunch. There's history at every corner there.

Bruce

9. Circus

10. Circus

Here is one for the older members,from one of the original fast food restaurant. The deposit token was used so you didn't bring back coffee bottles from other sources.
    [​IMG]
    Don't know if anybody else would go around and collect the coffee bottles from construction sites. To cash them in for pocket money, like the .02¢ soda bottle deposits. Most of the other small restaurant were glad to get them since it meant they didn't have to buy them new.

11. ZoidMeister

Heck, that was one of my primary income streams as a kid.

Those were the days . . .

I just sold a painted marble that I found in an old earthenware jug on a marble collectors forum for $200. It took me 55 years to realize THAT profit however.

Z

Circus likes this.
  12. ZoidMeister

My Dad was an independent insurance agent when I was a kid. He had a bunch of similar printed up while he was in business. He passed away years ago, but I wish I had one or two of these that he had made up.

Z

6185Vnb3yrL._AC_SX522_.jpg

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I recently came across a tax token for Missouri and having friends there, I sent it to them. They were thrilled, so for their birthdays (they celebrate them one day apart) I sent them this.
    1820-1970 Missouri Sesquicentennial.jpg
    1820 1970 MISSOURI SESQUICENTENNIAL MEDAL.jpg
    They loved this one also, so I'm getting them additional tokens and medals from Missouri. I purchased a couple of bags of the red plastic tax tokens so they can give them out as bonuses from their online store.
    Missouri red plastic tax token.jpg

14. Circus

15. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Picked up these two lovely train tokens recently. They are both aluminum, and both are graded MS64 by PCGS. Cataloged in Opalka as Dusseldorf 1.2.1 (5 Wert-Marke) and Dusseldorf 2.2.1 (10 Wert-Marke).

@chrisild may be able to offer a bit more information on these - I loved them largely for the horse statue engravings on the obverses done by the L. Christian Lauer company (not by L. Christian Lauer himself - he died in 1873). The statue is that of "Jan Wellem" - Johann Wilhelm II - Elector Palatine (1658-1716).

5mark.jpg 10mark.jpg

16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Conder Token from the 1790's
    DH-48
    upload_2020-9-8_18-32-51.png
    upload_2020-9-8_18-32-30.png

17. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

From Publishers Clearinghouse 1976.

DSCN3222.JPG DSCN3223.JPG

18. Circus

Here's one for the music buffs in the group
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. BRandM

I love this one, Circus. It gives you a choice. I'd probably pick the "To hell with it "side most of the time.

Bruce

Circus and ZoidMeister like this.
  20. Circus

21. Circus

Draft saved Draft deleted