Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Very interesting piece! I just discovered that I can upload an image to google search, so I did that with this one. Did not find it though. Maybe circus or some other exonumia person will have an idea.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

4. Denis Richard

Denis Richard Well-Known Member

There is some very cool exonumia on here. Here are a couple of WW1 medals of mine. I think the Winged Victory face looks a bit like the Joker.

Winged Victory.jpg

Instagram SQ Photo Post 1080x1080 Template-29.jpg

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's a pretty quarter, but it's not exonumia. I removed your duplicate post but left your other one there, even though both posts were reported for being off-topic. Did you mean to post it in the Exonumia thread?

6. lowle harrison

lowle harrison Well-Known Member

@BRandM M not sure about the issue date. Am getting some more references next week that will help identify that....

7. BRandM

Thanks, lowle.

Bruce

8. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

iPad. Click on delayed loaded page, click, and no tellin' where ya' end up.

Doesn't explain duplication tho' ... ?

9. lordmarcovan

Just one o' dem random hiccups, I reckon. They happen occasionally. My Android device is actin' squirrelly as we speak...

10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

big mac 12.jpg big mac 1.jpg big mac 3.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  11. lordmarcovan

12. lowle harrison

according to records from the Fare Box 1986 "the F. Thomas was built in 1936 and was the flagship of the Thomas familys' small fleet of ferrys. Dave Thomas, decided to have 1000 tokens minted only for use on the F.Thomas that bore the family name, while the rest of the fleet continued using tickets with the Ferry name printed on them". So the answer, inconclusive .....but it seems that there was just the one minting. At its heyday the F. Thomas had between 1200 and 1800 car fares per day and up to 3000 standing fares. So 1000 tokens would be an appropriate number on hand.The boat was dismantled in 1968. Her whistle sit in the Ferryboat Museum in Marietta and the engines were donated to the Ohio State Museum at Columbus.[from the Atwood-Coffee Fourth Ed. Vol. two] s-l400 (1).jpg s-l400.jpg img_1593064687791.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  13. BRandM

Many thanks for the great history behind the token, lowle. Makes collecting more interesting for me when you know something about one you have. I'm kind of a research nut so investigate nearly everything I add to my collection. I'ts a lot of fun.

Bruce

coin_nut likes this.
  14. Denis Richard

Pick up a free 1/2 pint with this Hog Penny Pub Token. Hogs. Pennies. Pubs. Three great things that belong together. This is a nice advertising piece, obviously not intended to fool collectors. It's undated, but I'm told it was made in the 1950s or 60s.

Hog Penny Pub.jpg

There is nothing rare or remarkable about the token below, but I love it's look. As is clearly visible, the owners of the pet lion wisely put a muzzle on him before going for a walk.

British Copper Company.jpg

15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

16. BRandM

I'm glad you still got a free 1/2 pint. It looks like the offer was good only in 1696:woot:

Cheers,

Bruce

Denis Richard likes this.
  17. lowle harrison

Quincy Railway Company-One Fare-(Ill.) was chartered in 1912 as successor to the Quincy Horse Railways and Carrying Co. Stock control was in the hands of Illinois Traction hence the "IT" in the center...I had a "book value" bid @$35 but bidding stopped at $14.50 my bingo!!!!
    JC Panzera Bus Line Uniontown PA930B fiber composition..no mintage history $3
    Lexington NC City Bus Lines NC560A fiber ...used only 1943-1944 until metal tokens became available post war...$3
    I have a once in a lifetime invite to Florida to cherry pick this collection I have been purchasing from lately. In other words let the serious fun begin...
    s-l1600 (24).jpg

s-l1600 (25).jpg s-l400 (8).jpg s-l400 (9).jpg

alurid, longnine009 and Circus like this.
  18. Denis Richard

1837-1962 Sherbrooke Coin Exchange 125th Anniversary 25 Cent Trade Token- this coin has such great colour and texture.

Sherbrooke Coin Exchange.jpg

19. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

This one showed up today, from England. From what I can find online, it is probably from Racine, WI, USA and appears to have been gilded at some time in the past. That old gilding is more evident in hand than in these pictures. Nice big coin, about 31.5 mm D.

ND Shoe Token 50 c obv-horz.jpg

20. lowle harrison

This Phila-Camden ferry was labeled HUB TOKEN...Im not familiar with this term. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

longnine009 and Circus like this.
  21. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

Called that due to the hub around the hole on one side

Draft saved Draft deleted