Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

These weren't issued by the scouts they are advertising tokens given out with the purchase of boy scouts official shoes and boots.
    Made by the Excelsior shoe company! you do see these listed on I'm an idiot bay as bot scout tokens but they aren't. AS with a lot of items offered on the bay the sellers don't have a clue.

alurid and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  4. Circus

This should clear up the facts.
    Excelsior Shoe Co. Tokens
    Good Luck Tokens with a Rider on Horseback
    [​IMG]

As a boy scout leader and coin collector, I have done a great deal of research to share with the you the many "Shoe for Boys" tokens issued by the Excelsior shoe company.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shoe for Boys

The Excelsior Shoe Company took advantage of the opportunity to associate their advertising with the new Boy Scout movement that began in 1910. They created a "Boy Scout" shoe and tokens issued between July 1910 and January 1914. The tokens were manufactured by Schwaab Stamp & Seal Company of Milwaukee, and the Wisconsin and Whitehead & Hoag Company of Newark, New Jersey.

The wording on the tokens, "Boy Scouts" & "Medal" were brand names of shoes made by Excelsior. Tokens were usually bronze or brass and some were zinc. Sterling silver tokens were also made in some varieties for Scoutmasters that had his entire troop buy Excelsior shoes. From the research I have done, I believe the Belle Meade Shoe Co. reverse was made around 1916.

There are also tokens that show a hiker and uses the words "Boy Scout." One is an advertisment for the Peters Shoe Co. The other (from Tim Mahle) shows the same hiker but has no advertisement on it.

Here is a scout web site that deals in official scout coins and the shoe company scout tokens https://www.sageventure.com/coins/tokens.html

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I would like to add that this is not a swastika this is a peace symbol the Germans stole and turned it into what you think it represents today.

Circus likes this.
  6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I noticed that the two Drachms says Phila & N.Y. and one say's N.Y. & Phila.
    20200411_162529.jpg 20200411_162610.jpg 20200411_163122.jpg 20200411_163138.jpg

7. lowle harrison

lowle harrison Well-Known Member

@Circus can a wooden nickel be roughly dated by the buffalo design? thumbnail.jpg

8. lowle harrison

or do you go solely on the print?

Attached Files:

9. Circus

10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Nobel Prize gold medal in fine gold 999.9 awarded to then German Chancellor Willy Brandt in 1971
    20200413_105017.jpg 20200413_105044.jpg

Nathan401, longnine009, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Found this beauty anong my elongated coins. I did try to clean it up.
    Trying to figure out what was it struck on, perhaps a 1943 cent?
    or a clad dime? Kiss 4-horz.jpg

gronnh20 and Circus like this.
  12. Circus

It has the look of some of the items that were in a fire, could have been in a flip when it happened.
    When working with copper in jewelry the cleaning solution(pickle) that is is used is sodium bisulfate (swimming pool pH raising chemical) works best when heated BUT DO NOT BOIL! as it will generate dangerous fumes use only in a glass container and don't use any steel tweezers. Since the steel will react with the solution and flash copper plate the item in it. To neutralize the solution and baking soda, then flush down the pipes. That might help clean it up more.

dwhiz likes this.
  13. lowle harrison

Does anyone know what this is? AVA 1011's personal calling card or maybe a presentation 1972 makes it pretty old with one sweet horse drawn rolled on it?

IMG_20200412_161140(1)_resized.jpg

14. Circus

Personal calling card,AVA 1011 is his membership number American Vecturist Association (or AVA) is an organization of transportation token collectors in the United States and Canada, as well as worldwide. https://vecturist.com/

longnine009 and dwhiz like this.
  15. dwhiz

I forgot I had these. I was checking out some of the boxes that 2 x2s are stored in.
    This one just had a bunch of miscellaneous stuff. Bar cent 1-horz.jpg 1793 token 1-horz.jpg

longnine009, BRandM, gronnh20 and 3 others like this.
  16. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

The only elongated coin I have.

DSCN2993.JPG

17. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Two nice tokens, dwhiz. Do you know if the SG piece was minted by the Patrick Mint? They made tons of tokens like this for private companies and individuals in the 1970's. It looks very much like one of theirs. They offered a generic obverse mostly of old US coin designs and a custom reverse tailored to each customer's needs.

Bruce

dwhiz and Circus like this.
  18. dwhiz

One of the things I've been doing is cleaning out drawers.
    I find this pocket watch that I purchased about 1991. I even had a battery to make it run but no chain to wear it. I checked out eBay and bought this beauty.
    With a 1/2 oz. copper Indian watch and chain 2.jpg watch and chain 1.jpg

longnine009, gronnh20, BRandM and 3 others like this.
  19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

20. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I graduated high school this year. Really, I can't believe I still have it. I remember the night I got this token to play putt-putt. Never even made it to the first hole. You had to give up the token in exchange for a putter.

DSCN2995.JPG DSCN2997.JPG

21. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted