Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Circus

4. Circus

5. Circus

6. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

7. Circus

8. Wehwalt

Wehwalt Well-Known Member

I bought this on eBay (using the listing's photographs). What I find odd about this is that the astronauts' first names are not included, only their middle initials. And it says "MADE IN CANADA" on the edge, and there is a (serial?) number, 011291. Maybe 40mm.
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg

gronnh20, alurid, Stork and 4 others like this.
  9. Circus

10. Circus

11. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I posted this one before, but I just like this old goat on a rock. High relief and great patina! PhotoEditor_20190917_203838960.jpg PhotoEditor_20190917_203942380.jpg

Stork, gronnh20, longnine009 and 7 others like this.
  12. Circus

13. Circus

when you buy in bulk you never know what will end up in the mix. This uniform button from a gas station is enamel and could be removed from the clothes for laundry it is enamel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1920's to the 1950's

14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

15. Circus

16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Oh, so you got some of @lordmarcovan 's elongated coins? Nice! You need to find a nice, high sulfur envelope to keep the dime in!

Circus, dwhiz and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I did snatch up a new Air Force token from Germany but don't have any pictures yet. I also picked up some French jetons - pretty far outside of my regular collecting habits but I think they're pretty cool!

[​IMG]
    FRANCE. Louis XIV, 1643-1715.
    Æ Token, 4.3g, 26mm, 6h. Struck 1696 (ND), Nuremberg.
    Lazarus Gottlieb Lauffer, engraver.
    Obv.: LVDOVICVS·MAGNUS·REX· ; LGL; Laureate bust right, topped with curly wig (old head); Denticled border.
    Rev.: ARMIS NUNC TOTA·; Male figure standing right that has laid aside tools and taken up spear and shield; Denticled border.
    Ex-Leu Numismatik, Kerry Wetterstrom

[​IMG]
    FRANCE. Louis XIV, 1643-1715.
    Æ Token, 4.7g, 26mm, 6h. Struck 1688 (ND).
    Lazarus Gottlieb Lauffer, engraver.
    Obv.: LOVIS·LE GRAND - ROY·DE FRANCE·; LGL; Laureate bust right; Denticled border.
    Rev.: OCVLIS·DORMITAT·APERTIS; Recumbent lion left; Denticled border // AERARIUM·MILIT·EXTR·
    Reference: Feu #941
    Ex-Leu Numismatik, Kerry Wetterstrom

gronnh20, longnine009, alurid and 2 others like this.
  19. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I think that kraft paper envelope might have exactly that effect over time. I wonder about that, anyway. Maybe it'll give the silver some nice color. Who knows. Those Merc dimes I used for the host coins already had 75-100 years of natural toning on 'em, prior to being elongated. Made the design on them stand out nicely, even when "smushed".

Thanks. They've sold well so far on their first day of being offered, but I'll also be doing some random drawings soon to give away a couple of free sets, both here and on the CU forums.

masterswimmer, Circus and dwhiz like this.
  21. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

French jetons can be stunning, and that piece with the lion is no exception!

Here are two silver ones I've had; the first one now a "bygone", and the second still in my Eclectic Box collection.

France: silver jeton of Louis XV, "Aurora in cloud chariot", undated (ca. 1740)
    Feuardent-13203, PCGS AU58, pop. 1/0

[​IMG]

France: silver jeton (insurance token) engraved by Ernest-Paulin Tasset, 1869
    Gailhouste-690, PCGS MS63, pop. 2/0.
    [​IMG]

@Jwt708 - I see the "Kerry Wetterstrom" collection is cited as the pedigree on your lion jeton.

Speaking of exonumia, and that pedigree (about which I know nothing), I just picked up this fun little 11 mm Mexican gold fantasy token in @John Anthony's latest private auction (wherein I saw some jetons quite similar to yours, but not your exact pieces).

This piece is dated "1865" but was actually struck circa 1960s. So it's a fantasy, but apparently good gold, unlike some of those "California" fantasies from the same era.

It was an inexpensive impulse bid. Fun.

Gold.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted