Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's a bummer.

Circus likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I posted something here, and it's been a while since I purchased anything new so here's something old.

FL390b Patrick AFB $1.jpg
    FL390b, Patrick AFB, Florida; brass, 35mm, Cunningham Vol I, pg. 83.

Patrick AFB is still operational today as part of United States Space Command. They manage all uncrewed rockets at Cape Canaveral AFS which launches satellites into orbit for the various intelligence agencies, NASA, NOAA, and European Space Agency. The base was originally part of the Navy from 1940 - 1947 when it was placed into caretaker status. After creation of the Air Force, the base was transferred to the Air Force in 1948 and was known as Joint Long Range Proving Ground. Joint Long Range Proving Ground was renamed in 1950 for Major General Mason Patrick who died in 1942. He led early efforts in 1926 to have a semi-independent Air Corps branch of the Army created, similar to the Navy's Marine Corps branch.

[​IMG]

Patrick AFB has a long history of being a missile research site, going back to 1951. Other wings have operated out of the base including search and rescue and reconnaissance. The Air Force Reserve Force 920th Rescue Wing calls Patrick AFB home and they currently operate HH-60G Pave Hawk helicopters.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    BRandM, Stork, Circus and 1 other person like this.
  4. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Yes, I think they intended for it to be an X but messed up the date aligment. If I put it in the flip as an X the date is rotated. I put it in the flip as a cross then the reverse is rotated. They did something wrong.

Circus likes this.
  5. longnine009

Sadly, that may be the eventual fate for many local coin clubs and print publications.

Circus likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Love those Lincoln plaquettes...are they plaquettes @ldhair ? What are the sizes of the two you've posted?

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The bronze is about 2.5" x 3.5". The silver is about 2" x 3"

Jwt708 likes this.
  9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Oh, and it was silver, nice! I assumed it was pewter. :oops:

10. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

11. longnine009

What keeps bugging me about this is the way the rotation on the reverse is the exact amount as the rotation would be going from a cross to a X. If I form a X with the medal the reverse is perfect. Whether they intended the obverse to be a X or not I believe it was struck as a X by accident and the reverse giving a medal alignment to it. But when you look at it, you're going to look at it as a cross so that the date lines up correctly. Then the reverse is rotated. Sorry if I am over analyzing this but mysteries bug me.

Jwt708 likes this.
  12. Circus

Just what the guy or gal running the press hope for to mess with collectors minds years in the future! I think every one has had something similar at some point.;)

longnine009 likes this.
  13. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

14. longnine009

The Navy used to have this wooden grounding pole with wires and alligator clips on it to ground out capacitors.
    But it also had a small flashlight bulb in the middle just sitting in a hole that was drilled into the wood. No one knew what this lightbulb was for. The Chief said someone was just playing with everyone. Some thirty years later I was telling my father about it. He once worked for Sperrys on fire control radars and they had the same thing. The idea was that the light bulb would light up if there was radiation present. He didn't know if it actually worked or not but that was the idea behind the mystery light bulb.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Jwt708 and Circus like this.
  15. Circus

16. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

longnine009, Stork, Jwt708 and 3 others like this.
  17. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Zip code? Beaverdam, VA.
    DL (16).jpg DL (15).jpg

18. Circus

They are slot/mint, candy, gum machine tokens, with the vending component the didn't qualify as gambling devices. With the hole in them when replayed they didn't qualify for additional gum etc. Some had the name of the operator, vending company or business. The ones withe the numbers which can go from 0 to 35,000 and higher same deal they are the operators, business, or machine numbers. They date from 1890's to 1940's. And they were pretty much illegal most places towards the end. They aren't worth alot due to the fact there are so many of them around they can be found from .25¢ to $1.00, scarcer ones .50¢ to $2.00

longnine009, eric6794 and alurid like this.
  19. Circus

20. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

5¢ token.
    20190422_162840.jpg 20190422_162849.jpg

longnine009, Circus and Jwt708 like this.
  21. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Anybody want to take a guess what this is? ;)

IMG_1797.JPG

Hint: It's about 10" in diameter, and made of plaster.

Draft saved Draft deleted