Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

Found some Liberty Dollars that had been rattling around a drawer unprotected for 14 years. Unsurprisingly, they've toned.

libertydollar1o.JPG libertydollar1r.JPG libertydollar2o.JPG libertydollar2r.JPG

alurid, SchwaVB57, Hookman and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

4. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

Promotional silver round from the long-deceased Christian Exodus project, given as a gift:

christianexoduso.JPG christianexodusr.JPG

alurid, SchwaVB57, Hookman and 3 others like this.
  5. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

longnine009 likes this.
  7. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

Looks like the key return tags, I have posted in the past. Drop in the mail box and postage is paid by the group at the address. Haven't seen one from such a recent year all mine are older
    Does anybody remember these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They were sent out each year after the new plates by a veterans group same deal drop in mail box and the key ring would be returned to owner

alurid, Tracy62, SchwaVB57 and 4 others like this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Looking at Google, they have some pretty impressive building on the site and the Masons square cut out in bushes.

9. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

found this roll searching, I am not sure what the cross bat means. I tried to google search it and it comes up different meanings. I am posting with hope someone knows what it means. The coin is a 2017p cent on the obverse it has the cross bats on the Bust the coin also has cross bats on the reverse on the top of the shield. I thought there would be weak strikes on each side but I guess not.

Circus likes this.
  10. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

forgot to add photo's bb1.jpg bb2.jpg bb3.jpg bb4.jpg

SchwaVB57 and Circus like this.
  11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Cancelled dies? Edit: I take that back. It looks as if something has been applied to the coin.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  12. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

13. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

14. SchwaVB57

Yes, you are correct.

15. SchwaVB57

16. Circus

17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

So it looks like I'll be doing another side collection of love tokens again. I keep building these, then selling them off to feed my primary "Eclectic Box" collection... but then I find myself drawn again to the quirky folk art or interesting provenance on some love token. I still browse that eBay category pretty regularly. I guess they've kind of gotten in my blood- and stayed there.

I saw this one for sale a couple of years ago but didn't have the money. Lo and behold, it reappeared on eBay again recently, and I bid around spot price, and won. I'm happy, because pictorial love tokens on gold host coins are rare.

The artistry on this one is not sublime, but it has a folksy charm to it. Given the "hatching chick" motif, it was almost certainly a christening token, and I would wager that "E. F. D.", whoever he or she was, was likely born in 1868. We'll never know, of course, but these pieces always present some fun little mysteries like that. And sometimes the mysteries can be solved, and the coin gives up its fascinating backstory.

That won't happen here, with just a set of initials to go on, but it's a pictorial carving on a mid-19th century gold coin, which in itself makes it worth having.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What drew me back into love tokens was the recent surprise gift of this piece, done on a 1798/7 16-stars dime!

This one's not about the engraving (though that's competent enough), or the backstory, but the fact that it's on a rare host coin. This is the only 18th century US silver coin I have ever owned, or am likely to own, and as of this typing, I believe the VG price of such a coin (were it undamaged) would be in the neighborhood of $1,300-1,400. My kind partner in the deal sold it to me for one dollar! So that really counts as a generous gift.

The date is attributable by the fact that it has the 16-stars Heraldic Eagle reverse, which was only used on the 1798/7 dime.

I need to take better pictures of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the "hatching chick" motif again, for a moment. It is not an uncommon theme on 19th century christening tokens, though I've seen more with a "stork" motif.

Here's one on an 1883 dime I used to have. The engraving here is top-notch. Wish I still had this piece.

[​IMG]

Here's the more typical "stork". I no longer have this piece, either.

[​IMG]

And here is another, with more folksy and less professional engraving, but special, because it has all three of my initials, in the proper sequence! That's a pretty rare coincidence!

It features a stork in a marsh scene. My daily commute takes me through Georgia's Marshes of Glynn, and on the morning I bought that coin, a stork flew across the road in front of my car. When I later sold that collection of love tokens, I held that piece back, and gave it to my mother. She has a charm bracelet of love tokens with her children and grandchildren's names on the coins. So this one, while no longer in my personal collection, is still in the family.

[​IMG]

Jwt708, eric6794, Ag76 and 4 others like this.
  18. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think your coin was stamped with a letter X punch. The thickness of the metal made one side look bigger and deeper that the other. Or the punch was tilted a bit.

19. Circus

20. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

@eric6794 are the X's raised or incuse? They look raised to me but sometimes it's hard to tell from a photo.

21. Circus

I would have to say that it is a hand stamped letter X.
    Here are three that I have stamped or counter stamped. I put them into circulation as change.
    [​IMG]
    Here are some that I have in my collections
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Back in the 1960's in shop class the teacher talked about stamping girlfriend and your initials on a penny as a friendship token with a hole for attaching for a bracelet or key ring. This last one looks like a bad attempt.
    As to why I do it mostly because I can, and it might start somebody down the road of collecting tokens, coins etc.

alurid, Jwt708 and longnine009 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted