Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

You're right, Circus, you don't see many cardboard tokens...good or bad condition. I have a few good-fors, and even had a Civil War sutler piece in cardboard once. It was from a New York regiment...53rd maybe.

Bruce

Circus likes this.
  4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

5. dwhiz

6. BRandM

That's a couple of nice Hobo tokens there , dwhiz. I assume they're struck pieces and not carved? Can you decipher any of the symbolism on the reverse? Thanks.

Bruce

7. dwhiz

@BRandM
    Correct, struck pieces
    Can you decipher any of the symbolism on the reverse? I have no idea what they stand for, but I'll check.

8. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

They are the short hand of the brotherhood of the road, I don't know were the list I have is at the moment. they mean good for a hand out, or don't go others meant work available, Don't ride these rails RR cops are bad, they had one for mean dog, one for how many dogs here, barking dog,good place to catch train, law lives here judge lives here. etc. https://www.google.com/search?q=Hob...MKHaQMCIgQ9QEwA3oECAQQCg#imgrc=UgqckLzVqlPZHM: here is a google link to assorted pages of markings. They generally were plced on a fence post or rock on the road or street side.

9. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

11. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I don't really know why I find this stuff fascinating but I think it must be because of the history behind the subject matter.:D

Attached Files:

12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

13. Circus

14. BRandM

Thanks, Circus. As soon as you mentioned them in your reply I recalled reading somewhere about these symbols lrft by hobos

Circus likes this.
  15. Circus

They have been co-opted by the preppers, zombie apocalypse crowd from some of the addy's of the locations of the current postings of the photo's

16. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

English produce token.
    exnu (192).JPG exnu (193).JPG

17. dwhiz

18. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Picked this civil war token up today.
    Diameter of a small cent but thinner and weighs 2.5g. From what I can find on the internet it is from 1863 and I think is pretty cool. I think it is a variation on a line from an Andrew Jackson speech.
    PhotoEditor_20190310_133807266.jpg
    PhotoEditor_20190310_133838981.jpg

Vince11229, Swan, dwhiz and 1 other person like this.
  19. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Here is a local piece. Dont know why some folks think they need to clean these things....anyway when I was younger we used to go to Bisbee to drink in the bars on Brewery Gulch a short distance from Mule Gulch. Bisbee was mainly known for copper mines (which also produced silver and gold in lesser amounts). Tombstone, a few miles away, besides being known for the shootout at the OK Corral, was mainly known for silver mines.
    PhotoEditor_20190310_212943178.jpg

PhotoEditor_20190310_213016568.jpg

Vince11229, Swan, longnine009 and 2 others like this.
  20. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the start of a number of shapes tokens that came in the last batch.

Vince11229, dwhiz and longnine009 like this.
  21. Swan

Swan A millon dollars short of being a millionaire

I've been to Bisbee and Tombstone. Fun towns. We spent a week in AZ and went all over that state. Managed to stumble upon 15 brewery's along the way :)

Razz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted